European Super League | Vital Football

European Super League

JW1985

Vital Champions League
Seeing a load of reports claiming that some of the "elite" European clubs have agreed in principle to form a European super league. Apparently there's 12 at the moment. The sky 6, the big 3 in Spain and 3 from Italy.

If this is true then I say let them go. Kick them out if the domestic and any other UEFA competions. Ban their players from taking part in international tournaments. Let's see how many fans in America and China want to be man utd or Chelsea fans anymore after a season of watching them get hammered by the Madrids and Barcelona every other week.

My guess would be that virtually all the "real" fans of the clubs involved hate this idea. But that's obviously not what this is about. Who cares about the fans when there's TV money to grab.

Been talked about for so long, still wouldn't surprise me if they did do it. I agree with the above and what we have said so many times before, just make it clear to those clubs, there is no way back (without playing up all the leagues maybe?) if you do leave.

Don't let them in the Cup competitions.

I don't think I'd go as far as Fulford excluding them from playing for their national league though, as we don't do that if players go to other countries.

Seeing a load of reports claiming that some of the "elite" European clubs have agreed in principle to form a European super league. Apparently there's 12 at the moment. The sky 6, the big 3 in Spain and 3 from Italy.

If this is true then I say let them go. Kick them out if the domestic and any other UEFA competions. Ban their players from taking part in international tournaments. Let's see how many fans in America and China want to be man utd or Chelsea fans anymore after a season of watching them get hammered by the Madrids and Barcelona every other week.

My guess would be that virtually all the "real" fans of the clubs involved hate this idea. But that's obviously not what this is about. Who cares about the fans when there's TV money to grab.
Apparently, all fans are equal :throw:

Been talked about for so long, still wouldn't surprise me if they did do it. I agree with the above and what we have said so many times before, just make it clear to those clubs, there is no way back (without playing up all the leagues maybe?) if you do leave.

I don't think I'd go as far as Fulford excluding them from playing for their national league though, as we don't do that if players go to other countries.

It was Sky that said the national team ban was on the cards.

Kerry Packer style, I think all those who went to play for his breakaway cricket, never got picked for their country again.
The again 40 odd years later we have the IPL

One potential knock on effect could be owners like ours may scale back their investment given the closed shop intention of the greed clubs.

All the better players are going to want to play in the new league so basically turns the prem in to the championship with no chance of getting promoted.

One potential knock on effect could be owners like ours may scale back their investment given the closed shop intention of the greed clubs.

If it happens then all will depend on whatever money the remaining clubs can generate from the Pl etc. Maybe if they run their own TV contract and show a value in a real competition over a non-competitive league then it will turn out OK.

If 5 of the proposed teams in the Greed League are supposed to come from other leagues each year, which clubs would do that if they were subsequently banned from returning to their own league? Seems like all 20 would need to permanent members of the greed league. Who then wants football with relegation?

One smaller thought: who ever decided that Spuds should be part of this group? Though we could say the same about a team we beat 7 - 2 this season, and then beat 8 - 4 on aggregate! :lol:

But if it's a closed shop of clubs who have breached membership - if players careers come to an end when they are no longer wanted, it would only be a draw for those who truly care about the money.

If this goes ahead UEFA won't shelve their own Euro competitions.

All it takes is for member organisations to simply state that only players at break away clubs under an existing professional contract have a second chance but they must immediately return to the domestic game when that 'existing contract' naturally ends - no extensions, nothing, nadda - or they void their return.

Then any player who leaves cannot also return

And even then, all it takes is for one player at a breakaway club to argue their contract has now been voided anyway and we have a legal can of worms.

Fuck em.

I’m all for improving the game and taking it forward, we were a bit rogue 120+ years ago with founding a professional league. But a system that financially creates barrier is just wrong.

Also for the fact Tottenham are considered “Big” is just laughable.

Anyway, fuck em. I don’t care, I feel a bit sorry for the real fans of the “big” clubs who follow their team up and down the country.

I don’t know how this league works, I guess there’s some form of promotion and relegation to it? If we ever got “promoted” to it based on its format of incentivising the already wealthy clubs I’d hope we’d refuse.

It might actually mean more local fans support Villa not the clubs in red ironically. It’ll be an awfully boring league to watch, why would arsenal and Spurs want to finish last every season?

Fair play to the French and German clubs who have said no.

Last edited:
Maybe yanited and plop will end up in the MLS as they have American owners when this league collapses due to a lack of interest from fans as it's likely to be PPV.

Anything is open then surely.

A closed league, no new clubs, transfers are out unless players don't want a career, so player pool and improvement shrinks, and so on and so on. It would be it's own eventual death warrant from the start and interest would quickly decline.

As would revenue - talk of 6billion to begin with as the pool, that wouldn't last.

My biggest concern is I couldn’t see FIFA not wanting a share of these huge sums knowing how corrupt they all are. I’m no expert of the legal side of football, but when you have such big money involved surely there is risk you just create a new body to govern, so could we see FIFA or UEFA change their tune if they are suitably incentivised?

Spuds are absolutely desperate for cash seeing as their owner has told Levy that they must be financially independent from him. Plus they have to find something to keep Kane seeing as they are unlikely to qualify for the CL this season.

Ironically say it all goes through, it could mean we are once playing Bayern Munich in the final in the top UEFA continental competition once again, in the not too distant future :utv: