European Super League | Page 21 | Vital Football

European Super League

I may be thick (no comments please!) but I don’t understand a word of this.
Could some kind soul explain in simple language that I might understand?

"The European Superleague Company, the body behind that ill-fated breakaway in 2021, had been unable to convince the ECJ that UEFA and FIFA were guilty of breaching of EU laws in blocking attempts to start up a rival competition.

The three rebels won a ruling in a Madrid commercial court in April 2021 that decided they could not face the financial punishments that UEFA had proposed, with the governing body later abandoning its disciplinary plans in September last year.

By that time, the Madrid judge had already passed the case on to the ECJ, which was asked to decide if UEFA and FIFA, the two pillars of international football, were breaking EU competition law with their statutes. They could not continue to monopolise the market, it was argued by those demanding change".

The European Super League backers have revealed today that they want to launch a new version of the project that crashed two years ago: a multi-division competition of 60 to 80 teams with no permanent members, and a minimum of 14 games per club, per season.

The announcement was made in various European newspapers by A22, the Madrid-based sister company of the Super League (ESL), and timed to coincide with a new push from the three remaining rebels Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus to continue their battle with Uefa.

A22 claim that the new project is a result of detailed conversations with clubs around Europe on the financial problems facing them. For the past few months A22 and the ESL have focused their attacks on the wealth of the Premier League, its dominance of the transfer market and the effect that has on other European leagues with less lucrative television deals.

There are no details yet on how the original 60 to 80 teams would be constituted or how they would drop out of the proposed competition to make way for new clubs. The original ESL, in April 2021, was pilloried for offering permanent membership to its founding clubs of which six were from the Premier League: the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...e-new-tournament-to-replace-champions-league/