European super league, | Page 8 | Vital Football

European super league,

If there's a "British" league, then we'll have to switch to a "British" national team.

It's interesting though Bicky that you consider Wales and Scotland foreign.

United Kingdom, Great Britain (& NI), England, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland, ... such a strange set up we have isn't it. We want to be either together or apart as it suits us.

Oh, and by the way, it's 3 (Newport).
;)
Not necessarily.
New Zealand Warriors play in the Australian NRL, and there's quite a few Canadian teams in U.S. Baseball, Basketball and Ice Hockey.

It does seem a little strange though that the SPL would seemingly allow this to happen, given they boycotted the GB Football Team at the 2012 Olympics.

Oh...and if you take into account Non-League it's actually 5 (Merthyr Town and Wrexham) 😉
It was 6, but Colwyn Bay decided to join the Welsh League in 2019.

Not necessarily.
New Zealand Warriors play in the Australian NRL, and there's quite a few Canadian teams in U.S. Baseball, Basketball and Ice Hockey.

It does seem a little strange though that the SPL would seemingly allow this to happen, given they boycotted the GB Football Team at the 2012 Olympics.

Oh...and if you take into account Non-League it's actually 5 (Merthyr Town and Wrexham) 😉
It was 6, but Colwyn Bay decided to join the Welsh League in 2019.

And not forgetting that there are at least 2 English clubs that I'm aware of that play in foreign leagues (TNS & Berwick Rangers)

I think we're talking 2 different things (or maybe saying exactly the same thing !) Exiled.

Just like Cardiff, Swansea and Newport (and Wrexham before them), Welsh teams competed in the English league (just like NZW in Aussie NRL) but that's different than there being a declared "British" League.

A British League means a British national team.

Might be a bit of "sensationalised" journalism, as I can't see Celtic competing in a "British" league anyway, given their strong allegiance to the Irish Republic.

Whether the government favour it or not, it won't happen. All four nations have their own governing bodies and are recognised by both UEFA and FIFA, therefore they are allowed to compete in their competitions. None of the governing bodies will want to give any of that up and therefore regardless of what the UK government want it won't happen.

Might be a bit of "sensationalised" journalism, as I can't see Celtic competing in a "British" league anyway, given their strong allegiance to the Irish Republic.
I'm sure celtic will be quite welcome into the Irish league
Most of their fans are from there

Globally Celtic are 10 times as big as Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal or City, they are held back because of the relative poverty of their domestic game, if any ESL does get underway it will not be long before Celtic and perhaps Rangers are full participating members.

Globally Celtic are 10 times as big as Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal or City, they are held back because of the relative poverty of their domestic game, if any ESL does get underway it will not be long before Celtic and perhaps Rangers are full participating members.
Quite agree with you for once but I see no problem rangers or any other club joining a British league
Celtic no chance

I have no doubt Celtic are more popular than some of the teams you've mentioned.
However... when Rangers got dumped in to Scottish League 2 for financial irregularities, Celtic relished being the Big fish in the small pond.
Rangers would probably jump at the chance of competing in a British League because as a club they have strong Unionist allegiances, Celtic ...don't.

Regardless of whether both accept the offer or not, They're light years behind English club's in terms of competitiveness.
One off games in European competition is a completely different kettle of fish compared to the intensity of week in week out league football.

I have no doubt Celtic are more popular than some of the teams you've mentioned.
However... when Rangers got dumped in to Scottish League 2 for financial irregularities, Celtic relished being the Big fish in the small pond.
Rangers would probably jump at the chance of competing in a British League because as a club they have strong Unionist allegiances, Celtic ...don't.

Regardless of whether both accept the offer or not, They're light years behind English club's in terms of competitiveness.
One off games in European competition is a completely different kettle of fish compared to the intensity of week in week out league football.

As much as I can't stand Celtic I think both them & Rangers would easily hold their own in the Championship & once getting used to that league would both be pushing for the PL.....the away crowds would be something else as well.- like Newcastle Utd support on steroids - not to mention the hoards of ticketless fans that would travel.

As much as I can't stand Celtic I think both them & Rangers would easily hold their own in the Championship & once getting used to that league would both be pushing for the PL.....the away crowds would be something else as well.- like Newcastle Utd support on steroids - not to mention the hoards of ticketless fans that would travel.
I'm not sure they would, if I'm being honest.
Celtic have been poor this season, and they're still 14pts clear of 3rd... which is a damning indictment of how bad the SPL is these days.
Celtic & Rangers are very big fish in a small pond, if they come up against seasoned English clubs every week, they'll struggle over a full season.

As for their away support, I hope they'll be better behaved than Rangers fans were in Manchester prior to the UEFA Cup Final in 2008.
I was actually working in Manchester that day (I was a C.I.T. Security Guard) and the sight of pissed up Scots everywhere at 8am was quite an intimidating experience.

I'm not sure they would, if I'm being honest.
Celtic have been poor this season, and they're still 14pts clear of 3rd... which is a damning indictment of how bad the SPL is these days.
Celtic & Rangers are very big fish in a small pond, if they come up against seasoned English clubs every week, they'll struggle over a full season.

As for their away support, I hope they'll be better behaved than Rangers fans were in Manchester prior to the UEFA Cup Final in 2008.
I was actually working in Manchester that day (I was a C.I.T. Security Guard) and the sight of pissed up Scots everywhere at 8am was quite an intimidating experience.

I think they both would be able to compete & given that the probable money increase they'd receive compared to up in the SPL they'd be able to attract higher calibre of players. Sadly tho if this was to go through it would be the demise of the SPL. As to fans behaviour, the first few away games it would be a nightmare imo as the fans from both clubs would be like kids in a sweet shop....going from pub to pub after a long session drinking on the way down to England.
I flew out on holiday the day of the final & on the way to Manchester Airport (7am) we passed a steady stream of Rangers supporters in cars n minibuses & thot it's gonna be busy n messy altho didn't think it would be as bad as it was. My brother in law went to the game & he told me afterwards what didn't help was that by around 10am in the City centre & surrounding shops were only letting supporters buy beer in full cases & mostly setting up tables outside entrance to the shops. He also reckoned there were a more fans without ticket than were at the game aided by an unprepared GMP - Glasgow police would have probably clamped down more although it's still no excuse for the Rangers supporters behaviour...

I am going to be rude to you here jock and say 'bollocks' to your first part, both Rangers and Celtic are massive, with massive support worldwide and would have more than enough financial clout get the players on board to be pushing for the PL from their first game in the Championship, as I said both of them would easily compete in a ESL.

Plop Rangers & Celtic into the Championship or PL now & they'd struggle. Give them the funding that club's in those divisions get & they'd adjust to a point.
They would however find it an issue attracting the "big name" players to compete right at the very top for a reason that's not been touched upon & that is a lot of players simply don't want to live up there (or at least the ones who are good enough to be able to be picky - & that's who they'd need to attract to compete right at the top).
In the past I've heard both Newcastle & Middlesbrough complain of the same issue & that was when they were both throwing money at players. I've even read quotes from players citing it as a reason why they've not joined Man United in the past.
I'm cure some will shoot down this argument but it's true & there was a former players saying the exact same thing on the radio yesterday.

Even if they were able to get those players interested they'd have to give em a far better pay package to entice them over the line & are therefore likely to be more prone to over stretching themselves financially or have a few marquee players & the rest of lesser quality than other clubs squads coz they have less funds left

I am going to be rude to you here jock and say 'bollocks' to your first part, both Rangers and Celtic are massive, with massive support worldwide and would have more than enough financial clout get the players on board to be pushing for the PL from their first game in the Championship, as I said both of them would easily compete in a ESL.

If it did get the go ahead with both teams joining I hope your only partially right in that they'd be pushing for the PL from their 1st game, with Rangers being the one pushing for the PL while the other shite (celtic) get relegated....😉

Plop Rangers & Celtic into the Championship or PL now & they'd struggle. Give them the funding that club's in those divisions get & they'd adjust to a point.
They would however find it an issue attracting the "big name" players to compete right at the very top for a reason that's not been touched upon & that is a lot of players simply don't want to live up there (or at least the ones who are good enough to be able to be picky - & that's who they'd need to attract to compete right at the top).
In the past I've heard both Newcastle & Middlesbrough complain of the same issue & that was when they were both throwing money at players. I've even read quotes from players citing it as a reason why they've not joined Man United in the past.
I'm cure some will shoot down this argument but it's true & there was a former players saying the exact same thing on the radio yesterday.

Even if they were able to get those players interested they'd have to give em a far better pay package to entice them over the line & are therefore likely to be more prone to over stretching themselves financially or have a few marquee players & the rest of lesser quality than other clubs squads coz they have less funds left

Not trying to 'shoot down your argument' MB as some of your points are valid but there are also counter points to your views.
Why would both clubs need to be given the funding that other clubs have in that division - when Newcastle / Villa were relegated to Championship they didn't adjust their funds. Both Rangers n Celtic have massive following hence their budget.
Unable to attract players due to location.....possibly correct but its less than 3/4 hours drive to England plus Glasgow City centre isn't as bad as years gone by but the plus point coukd well be playing in front of huge crowds & the rewards of playing for a huge club.
As I said not a knocking of ur post MB just other views. Can't see it happening anyway as it would most likely kill Scottish football...

Not trying to 'shoot down your argument' MB as some of your points are valid but there are also counter points to your views.
Why would both clubs need to be given the funding that other clubs have in that division - when Newcastle / Villa were relegated to Championship they didn't adjust their funds. Both Rangers n Celtic have massive following hence their budget.
Unable to attract players due to location.....possibly correct but its less than 3/4 hours drive to England plus Glasgow City centre isn't as bad as years gone by but the plus point coukd well be playing in front of huge crowds & the rewards of playing for a huge club.
As I said not a knocking of ur post MB just other views. Can't see it happening anyway as it would most likely kill Scottish football...

No offence taken & in turn I wasn't criticising Scotland, just repeating what I've heard players and clubs saying down the years - and when you hear players saying "I turned down Manchester United because I didn't fancy the weather there" then I can't see those same players saying "So I've decided to go to a club in Glasgow instead" where the weather is worse (in their opinion anyway)
And as I said, I've heard owners of Boro & Newcastle complaining that they struggle at times with transfer targets coz they want to be near London & not the provinces then Glasgow is going to have an even harder time
And when you have full houses at Old Trafford, Anfield, Emirates, New White Hart Lane, St James Park, City of Manchester & West Ham's Olympic Stadium (all with capacities & averages above one or both Glasgow clubs) then the lure of playing in front of huge crowds doesn't sway the top players quite so much coz the same can also be said for almost half the clubs in the current EPL
Lets not also forget that the lure of Celtic & Rangers trophy laden history becomes less of a lure if they were to move in to a league with multiple (& recent) European trophy winners, FA Cup winners, Premier League winners etc..

On the budgets, its not a case of Rangers & Celtic needing to be given the funding of other clubs. Their attendances alone would indicate that they'd have more cash to play with on that score but they'd have the cushion of more TV deal funding.
On the flip side, & again as I've heard more northerly clubs say, Rangers & Celtic would probably find that they'd have to pay players more than a more southerly club would have to in order to entice them to live & play in Scotland (& again that's not a dig from me towards Scotland)

The 'Eyes' have it:

Man Utd chiefs Ed Woodward and Avram Glazer
are two of the ESL's biggest supporters.

A bit of balance:
Ed Woodward became aware of the European Super League’s launch only a day before its announcement, with Manchester United’s executive vice-chairman not part of that aspect of the decision-making process, the Guardian understands.

On Monday Woodward concluded the anti-competitive element meant he was unable to back it and resigned. The ESL collapsed a day later but by then the 49-year-old had agreed his departure from a job he had intended to stay in until at least 2026.

Rick Parry strikes again. Just days after the esl collapse this tool wants to resurrect the equally maligned project big picture. The very same project he worked secretly on with United and Liverpool. He seems to be suffering from a severe lack of self awareness and ability to judge public mood.

Rick Parry strikes again. Just days after the esl collapse this tool wants to resurrect the equally maligned project big picture. The very same project he worked secretly on with United and Liverpool. He seems to be suffering from a severe lack of self awareness and ability to judge public mood.

It's a wonder Rick Parry has gone into politics, he be made for the job.....dodgy, untrustworthy & able to sell his soul to the highest bidder 😉