Europe | Vital Football

Europe

Rexn

Vital Champions League
Can anyone tell me if I have got this right?

a) We know the top 4 qualify for Champions League.
b) Qualification for the Europa League is for 5th in the league plus the winners of the FA Cup and League Cup.
c) If the winner of the League Cup qualifies for the Champions League, the Europa League place goes to the next best placed in the league, i.e. 6th
d) If the winner of the FA Cup has already qualified for the Champions League, the place goes to the other FA Cup finalists, if they have qualified for the Champions League, then the place goes to next placed in the league, i.e. 7th.

This is where it gets interesting.

e) The winners of the Europa League qualify for Champions League.

By my reckoning, City have won the League Cup and are in Champions League already as champions

It seems likely that ManU and Chelsea will contest the FA Cup final, Spurs in with a good shout of Champions League, Chelsea in Europa League. Arsenal could win the Europa League. Therefore, if I have got the rules right, 7th and 8th would qualify for Europa League. Burnley basically need a win in their last 3 games to guarantee 7th.

We are 3 points behind Leicester in 8th with a game in hand, 1 point behind Everton with a game in hand.

Could we qualify for Europe with a strong finish? If so, the Leicester away win and a win at Everton on Monday would be huge to that end.

Also, with Spurs and Chelsea to play, if we could get wins against those two, Liverpool would be assured of Champions League too, thus helping to ensure that Europa qualification goes down to 8th.

There are lots of ifs and buts. Wouldn't it be nice to see Wenger sign off in style with a Europa League win?

For the first time in years, these last couple of months we’re starting to look assured and settled on the pitch and you want to throw us back into that Thursday shitfest, no thanks Rexn.

Agree Paul, Thursday and Sunday games are shite plus I disagree intensely with Champions league failures getting a second bite in the EUFA cup. Money, money, money is what it's all about now.

The answer to your question is yes Rex.

As it stands we get 7 places, 4 for the champions league and 3 for the Europa but if Arsenal win the Europa then the CL places go up to 5.

The maximum allowed in Europe is 5 for both competitions but im unsure how we get 5 from the season start.

The odds for a top ten finish for us is 1/8 which shows how far we have come since Xmas. I keep expecting the bubble to burst but hey, I'll enjoy the ride. Long may it continue.

A top ten finish this season was more than could be expected. Survival was questionable, given FC's lack of investment. Rafa has made an effective team out of theses players but quite a few of them are now punching above their weight. Any European involvement stretches a good squad, let alone ours.

The club's current situation has two overiding factors:

The positive: Rafa. Football knowledge and experience. Organisation. A unifying presence.

The negative: FC. Ignorance. Penny-pinching avarice. Divisive.

One of these may or may not sign a contract beyond the payback clause.

Let's not get carried away, here.

I think we will have enough on our plate next year without a Europe League campaign to plan for. It would be better to give that one a miss in my view.