Europe In Out Shake it all about | Page 161 | Vital Football

Europe In Out Shake it all about

Much like when the WTO find out we aren't a member apparently, it's going to be shock for Mrs Tebbit when she finds out she was killed.

You are correct on that. I realised when I read it back. She was left in a paralysed from it. There were however a sitting MP and various others there at that time that were killed. However you will find I was correct on the WTO. Not just my link info on here about it

I have no idea why I thought Margaret Tebbitt was killed. Probably because of how seriously injured she was. I may have been mixing her up with Airy Neave for some reason who killed in 1979

I will also add again, none of them in Westminster care just as so many still don't care about the backstop until it affects them. You only have to look at parliament to see the way they are behaving to see why a section of the public don't care until it affects them

.......................................................................................................

QUOTED from Wikipedia so everyone is clear

The bombing killed five people, none of whom were government ministers. However, a Conservative MP, Sir Anthony Berry, was killed, along with Eric Taylor (North-West Area Chairman of the Conservative Party), Lady (Jeanne) Shattock (wife of Sir Gordon Shattock, Western Area Chairman of the Conservative Party), Lady (Muriel) Maclean (wife of Sir Donald Maclean, President of the Scottish Conservatives), and Roberta Wakeham (wife of Parliamentary Treasury Secretary John Wakeham). Donald and Muriel Maclean were in the room in which the bomb exploded, but Sir Donald survived.[9]

Several more were permanently disabled, including Walter Clegg, whose bedroom was directly above the blast,[10] and Margaret Tebbit (the wife of Norman Tebbit, who was then President of the Board of Trade). 34 people were taken to hospital and recovered from their injuries. When hospital staff asked Norman Tebbit, who was less seriously injured than his wife, whether he was allergic to anything, he is said to have answered "bombs"

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_hotel_bombing

However you will find I was correct on the WTO. Not just my link info on here about it

Without wishing to labour the point - you weren't correct.
We are in the WTO already. Once we leave the EU we will still be in the WTO.
We didn't apply for fast track membership (because we are already in the WTO).

You own link confirms that (which is the same as the earlier Reuters one)

The UK/EU tariff rate quota was applied for and rejected but as the article you linked states:
"This process will not necessarily disrupt the implementation of Brexit, however, as many WTO countries do trade under outdated agreements while agreeing new terms. "

Just means more negotiations which will inevitably drag on but then the EU hasn't certified it's own ones from various expansions.

Well done Airbus :clap: I think businesses need to start making things like this more public.

Most people associate Brum and Coventry with JLR, but the aerospace industry is huge - quite a lot of SME’s on random industrial parks employing what must be tens of thousands of West Midlanders in the supply chain to Airbus, Rollys Royce and the likes.

I can’t see a no deal - more like a bad remain - but it’s a nice justification to hear the reasons why we were better off staying.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...xit-process-a-disgrace-threatens-to-leave-u-k

Well done Airbus :clap: I think businesses need to start making things like this more public.

Most people associate Brum and Coventry with JLR, but the aerospace industry is huge - quite a lot of SME’s on random industrial parks employing what must be tens of thousands of West Midlanders in the supply chain to Airbus, Rollys Royce and the likes.

I can’t see a no deal - more like a bad remain - but it’s a nice justification to hear the reasons why we were better off staying.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...xit-process-a-disgrace-threatens-to-leave-u-k

I would imagine that statements like this will have a much bigger impact than public opinion on those in power.

Which goes back to the original flaw if you solely focus on the economy and jobs - which plenty didn't.

There is no deal that is better and non of the rhetoric changes that.

If emerging economies were 'the next big thing' the EU as a bloc are already working on that - we can't replace the EU with them or the US and their numbed down standards (taking Trump out of the equasion).

The best outcome if things don't change is a May-like deal if the backstop can be sorted. Far from perfect, we'll lose out ultimately but limbo in some ways where nobody wins is the better alternative for the future.

The Brexiteers care passionately about the Irish border. They want N Ireland treated the same as the rest of this country.

I think most of them care about the Irish border in the way I care about severe weather conditions out in the Atlantic - ie not at all unless that weather comes east and disrupts things in my back garden. In my opinion, based on close to 70 years of observation, I believe firmly that most of them don't give a toss.
As for treating NI the same as the rest of the UK, it's already a lot different, eg no on-demand abortions, no same-sex marriages, different bank notes, the option for those born there to declare themselves to be British, Irish, or both, an assembly that hasn't operated for over two years, no "national" political parties, free prescripions for all.
Maggie Thatcher was wrong - Northern Ireland is not as British as Finchley..

Last edited:
I only learnt about the Ireland issues when remainers made a point of it and it suddenly became an issue. Nowt from Farage, Gove, Boris etal as they promised the world.

And great point BBJ, the DUP don't understand 'same as' anyway but nobody will make that point in case they turn on May - so where are Rees-Mogg and Boris on that one to provide some balance (clue is in it would make a horrible soundbyte and they don't want to appear to not give a toss about NI).

“Please don’t listen to the Brexiteers’ madness which asserts that, because we have huge plants here, we will not move and we will always be here. They are wrong.”

directly employs 14,000 people in the U.K. and supports another 110,000

:slap:

In normal business, companies move for the best return - ergo prominent Brexiteer James Dyson has been very quiet since Dyson announced they were moving HQ to Singapore, which is unlike him.

Decision isn't Brexit related, it's business with a growing, larger market for them there from what I can tell.

If the UK loses it's appeal firms will relocate - it won't be overnight, but it'll happen.

The Dyson thing has been in the works for a long time. I remember reading about it in the paper here. Malaysia was competing for it but lost out to Singapore which was a sore point here.

I’ve read today in an Independent article that “that a no deal Brexit could force the cancellation of up to 5 million flights”.

The article then talks about 5 million seats (not flights) and it’s suggesting that current flight status will likely be fine, however extra capacity may no be put on.

https://apple.news/AHTI-KpM2T3eO1UUjfymMbA

The media will have a field day with apocalyptic headlines and even stories over the next 2 months, plenty of potential click bait out there I reckon. Flight to Benidorm being cancelled, Baked bean shortages, queues at fuel stations to name three - that’ll get the punters clicking those website pages. And the apocalypse will all be reported by the Daily Mail & Express!
Remember the Millennium bug, even your toaster was going to stop working

Well, yes, the media likes a bit of drama.
Still, I'm not sanguine about the potential effects of Brexit.

The complacency towards the issues facing Northern Ireland post-Brexit by British politicians is surprising. It seems that they really don't have any regard at all for it.

As for the DUP, they just seem extremely strange. The opportunity to attract billions in investment as the only part of the UK in the EU has been completely lost on them.

Not my reading of it mon nor others on here as I am not the only one who has said I am correct.

Ì always see a certain amount of antagoism posting towards me from you. Yet if anyone else posts the same you don't comment on what they say.

I will leave it there as I am not getting involved in your pettiness towards women in this case me

The complacency towards the issues facing Northern Ireland post-Brexit by British politicians is surprising. It seems that they really don't have any regard at all for it.

As for the DUP, they just seem extremely strange. The opportunity to attract billions in investment as the only part of the UK in the EU has been completely lost on them.

Glad I am not on my own on those thoughts on N.I

Mark Francois staying classy when talking about Airbus today.

German paratrooper in his youth....my dad was a D-Day veteran, as his son I won't be 'bullied' either and the usual War references.....wonder what point he was trying to make?

The Dyson thing has been in the works for a long time. I remember reading about it in the paper here. Malaysia was competing for it but lost out to Singapore which was a sore point here.

Staunch leaver. In the works for a long time or not, it looks very bad during this period of chaos and if he does make his head office Singapore, then his companies tax position will change accordingly.

Some want to have their cake and eat it. (Although, to be fair, that expression makes no sense, why would you want a cake and not eat it?!)