Europe In Out Shake it all about | Page 159 | Vital Football

Europe In Out Shake it all about

Interesting comment from Merkel:
German Chancellor Angela Merkel over the weekend put some of the onus back on the European Union. “We have a responsibility to shape a divorce process so that people don’t shake their heads at us in 50 years’ time and say, why weren’t they in a position to make a compromise?” she said.

Wonder if the Germans are getting a bit restless and their economic fears are being realised, for which a hard Brexit would undoubtedly be a huge blow to their export market.

Would be nice for a bit of recognition as to what good customers the British are.

With the (link in the politics thread) Germans dipping into recession, they would be right be to nervous.Sounds like grown up decent comments from her that.

Would be nice for a bit of recognition as to what good customers the British are.

With the (link in the politics thread) Germans dipping into recession, they would be right be to nervous.Sounds like grown up decent comments from her that.

Driving on a motorway it feels like half the UK population (me included) have a German branded automobile on a have-now-pay-later scheme, that’s one hell of a hangover for the Germans with a slowing home and Asian market.

Agreed Dan. I'd love to be able to back our own industry and buy British but it's impossible to!

71 old pro-Brexiteer James Dyson announces Dyson to move to Singapore - a country with zero inheritance tax - just months after the EU agree a bilateral trade agreement with Singapore.

Whether Brexit has anything to do with it or not, the timing is impeccable.

Yes, they are saying no job losses but seems a bit rich wanting Brexit then moving the head office!

And the good news keeps on coming,

saying a no deal would mean a hard border in Ireland

It is "obvious" there will be a hard border in Ireland in the event of a no-deal Brexit, the European Commission's chief spokesman has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46961982

You wouldn’t redomicile to the other side of the world for a 2% saving in corporation tax surely, so something else is at play.

You do have to wonder if though the decision to move for whatever the benefit is has been brought forward due to Brexit and forced the hand.

Security and this: the gift that just keeps giving (NOT) :shake:

'Degradation of border security' under 'no-deal' Brexit, warns UK Border Force

A leaked presentation, obtained by Sky News, warns of the impact of 'no-deal' on UK passengers travelling to and from Europe.

.........................................................................................................................

By Faisal Islam, political editor

Border Force planning for a possible "no-deal" Brexit warns the government of "significant outbound queues" at the Eurostar and a "degradation of border security".

In a leaked presentation, the key Home Office agency admits for the first time it will not be able to distinguish between EU residents and new EU arrivals.
It says there is the possibility of "disruption", "loss of data" and an "additional clandestine threat" emerging from less co-operation with EU nations.

The no-deal plan - which would come in if the UK leaves the EU with no agreements on a future relationship - also assumes that UK citizens will no longer have access to "e-gates" when travelling to the EU, but EU citizens coming to the UK will be allowed access

Cont: https://news.sky.com/story/degradat...no-deal-brexit-warns-uk-border-force-11614725

I so want to put a post on my FB page saying something along the lines of this:

So to all who voted Brexit for whatever your reasons: now if you get what you want, here is your consequences that all of us will have to suffer

1/ Shortage of medication (link will be provided on request) and possible 6 months backstop
2/ Less security as everything will change under no deal. The backlogs will last months under a no deal (it's going to be that or extension and remain)
3/ It won't stop any migration that many of wanted to stop. The U.K wont beable to recognise the difference between E.U's who have leave to remain here, and those who haven't. See article on my last post.
4/ Europeans are NOT the eastern world which alot (not all) thought would all go home too and not come in anymore.
5/ Those here will NOT be deported.
6/ The NHS (Porters, cleaners etc, as well as nursing staff) Care homes/Agriculture and hospitality are already struggling for employees as many return home and/or won't come here now. This will get worse.
7/ The Northern Ireland border. Many of you won't care if it doesn't affect you. Well when it sparks the troubles up again remember it will spill over to here.
8/ Human rights: T.M to get rid of them. The majority have been implemented by Europe.
9/ WTO - We aren't in it. Our membership comes under E.U. Once we are out of The E.U we won't have membership. The government have applied for fast track of the WTO membership. It's been turned down. We have to go through normal channels. That will take years to sort in full.

Other countries aren't happy with us: they say you want to trade with us, but you don't want us in your country.

India is happy to do a deal with us but they want free movement. N-Z is happy to do a deal way with us providing we allow all the N-Z lamb in this country with impunity. This will affect our agriculture. Ad infinite
10/ Schengen treaty: does not apply to us as we aren't in the Schengen agreement, so will not count post Brexit with or without a deal.

Thanks Call me Coward and co

I could go on ad finite and will probably edit to add more later on. I just needed to get some of this stuff out of my head, and here sounds a better idea than FB the way it is.

From today's IRISH TIMES

Before Christmas I was talking to a middle-aged man in Magharafelt, Co Derry. He was from a Catholic background and was active locally in the SDLP. Inevitably, the talk turned to Brexit and the economic harm it would do. But he pointed out that in the 1970s, the Republic was an economic “basket case” while standards of living were much better north of the Border, even for people like him.
“And yet,” he said, “if someone had given me the chance to vote for a United Ireland, I’d have done it in a heartbeat. I’d have taken the hit. So I understand where people are coming from in England. It’s not all about the economy, you know.”

More at -
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/...my-stupid-brexit-is-about-belonging-1.3765447

I’ve deactivated Facebook, too many Leave voters who see fake news or facts and re-post it, suddenly turning them from hairdresser or lorry driver to Chief Economist at the BoE.

I’ve had an unbelievable ‘discussion’ with one of my parents on Saturday, to the point I couldn’t look then in the eye and kicked them out otherwise I could’ve punched them given the reasons for the way they voted. It wasn’t the fact they voted Leave, it was the hypocrisy of the reasons why they voted Leave and the narrow minded view of foreigners based on complete myth. Oh, and to top it off my son has a Polish bloodline from his mothers side.

I assumed they had seen sense despite being uneducated and brainwashed by the Daily Express for years, but it turned out that the rest of the family had been keeping it quiet from me all this time.

I respect democracy but when the reasons are embarrassing based on complete myth due to the sort of scare mongering shit you would only quote if you read the Express - I’m sat there in disbelief this imbecile has an equivalent vote to me.

I’ve come to the conclusion that democracy is actually a very bad idea. You wouldn’t turn up to an exam without revising, but people are allowed to vote on something they can potentially have no knowledge on. It was much easier to do no research on the referendum and vote Leave as that was an emotional decision, than it was to bother to do research and not vote remain.

The original version gave only land owning men the vote. Obviously, that was terrible but I bet those fellas knew what they were voting on.

I cant wait to see the EU erect a hard border in Ireland. For Sure neither us or the Irish will. Load of hot air designed to up the ante.

That one is a bit of a red herring. If taxes or regulation on one side get out of sync with the other, there will be a lot of smuggling and the retailers will put pressure on the government to stop it.

The only way to prevent that is to stay in 'regularity alignment' which means the UK following EU rules without any say in how they are made, just like Norway.

If the UK decides to go for a hard Brexit and there is a hard border, expect a lot of violence in Northern Ireland, the return of the IRA and probably a united Ireland in the long run.

That one is a bit of a red herring. If taxes or regulation on one side get out of sync with the other, there will be a lot of smuggling and the retailers will put pressure on the government to stop it.

The only way to prevent that is to stay in 'regularity alignment' which means the UK following EU rules without any say in how they are made, just like Norway.

If the UK decides to go for a hard Brexit and there is a hard border, expect a lot of violence in Northern Ireland, the return of the IRA and probably a united Ireland in the long run.

Exactly the reason there will never be a hard border in Ireland ever again. anyone who says different are talking rubbish.

Exactly the reason there will never be a hard border in Ireland ever again. anyone who says different are talking rubbish.

I hope you're right. But there are more than a few Brexiteers in Westminister who don't give a toss about what happens on this side of the Irish Sea.

Mostly its brinkmanship and posturing by both sides trying to get what they want. They are a lot of things but not stupid. History will reflect very badly on ALL the political class EU and British if we leave with no deal and they know it. It will be frankly a failure that will reflect on all of them.

I hope you're right. But there are more than a few Brexiteers in Westminister who don't give a toss about what happens on this side of the Irish Sea.

Yes and the only time they will care if it affected them! For example the bombing which killed Norman Tebbitts wife