Europe In Out Shake it all about | Page 128 | Vital Football

Europe In Out Shake it all about

I remember some idiot warning that if we just voted to leave Europe the whole of Britain would totally collapse.
Well the country totally collapsed doesn't feel any different from how it felt before the referendum.

I remember some idiot warning that if we just voted to leave Europe the whole of Britain would totally collapse.
Well the country totally collapsed doesn't feel any different from how it felt before the referendum.

Who said it would totally collapse? :lol::lol::lol:

That was never going to happen. What has happened is that we are lagging behind the rest of Europe in almost every economic measure. As far as I can see, there haven't been any benefits yet.

Of course we will survive, but I don;t think we'll ever recover the ground we've lost.

My gut feeling is that things are happening (and have happening) that start to bite in 2-3 years economically.

If you’re a foreign company, your Capex into the UK plateaus at best. When Capex slows, you aren’t investing into new products, services or efficiencies so your top line doesn’t grow as fast and your bottom line is taking more cost.

The result? Cost cutting & jobs lost. Im sceptical about some of the good news stories in the press (Nissan, Unilever) because I’m pretty sure every exec board with any UK presence will be working on a contingency plan.

Who said it would totally collapse? :lol::lol::lol:

That was never going to happen. What has happened is that we are lagging behind the rest of Europe in almost every economic measure. As far as I can see, there haven't been any benefits yet.

Of course we will survive, but I don;t think we'll ever recover the ground we've lost.

It all gets taken out of context by people who read a Daily Mail headline.

Mark Carney and the BoE have modelled various scenarios of a no deal Brexit, one which sees house prices falling by 35%.

The scenario they also probably modelled where house prices grow in line with current inflation is not a headline to get the remainers worried or the brexiteers riled up and clicking the link or buying the paper.

It's all a bit of guesswork, isn't it Dan. The best scenario we could ever have hoped for was to keep pace with our neighbours, though. Where this fallacy that we could outpace them if we don't have the revolutionary framework of the EU stopping us is nonsense.

The whole thing is a waste of time and money.

Reactions: BBJ
It's been really interesting to watch this play out from this side of the ocean. (It's a good distraction from our own political mess.) What I truly don't understand: It seems there is sufficient evidence that voters weren't told the truth about what Brexit would look like (things like NHS spending, for example). Now that there is a clearer picture of what the deal would look like--if there is one--why wouldn't there be a vote? I understand the argument is "we voted once you don't get a do-over," but it seems voting on a vague concept is quite different from voting on what the actual reality would be. I'd love any more explanation of this from those who are against "the people's vote," as I guess it would now be called?

Now that there is a clearer picture of what the deal would look like--if there is one--why wouldn't there be a vote? I understand the argument is "we voted once you don't get a do-over," but it seems voting on a vague concept is quite different from voting on what the actual reality would be. I'd love any more explanation of this from those who are against "the people's vote," as I guess it would now be called?

You need people out in the streets in force for that to happen and you'll get another side who still want to leave asking where is the democratic process 'we won'.

Good luck and god bless

The thing is with democracy, it changes over time. We have elections every 5 years and we don't get the same result every time.

If people have changed their minds, surely that has to be expressed somehow?

The thing is with democracy, it changes over time. We have elections every 5 years and we don't get the same result every time.

If people have changed their minds, surely that has to be expressed somehow?

There is no need for another referendum. We did democracy. It worked. End of story.

Seriously though, I only realised recently that there are an awful lot of educated British people who still think that Brexit is a good idea. I assumed that all right minded people could see it for what it was but they think it's become a mess because of EU intransigence rather than the whole thing being a bit of a joke in the first place.

That is the sad part, BB. There still seems to be a complete lack of understanding on the subject.

How about another leave/remain vote, but remain has to get 60% or above to overturn the original referendum?

That is the sad part, BB. There still seems to be a complete lack of understanding on the subject.

How about another leave/remain vote, but remain has to get 60% or above to overturn the original referendum?

You are trying to apply reason and logic to an irrational subject. You can't win an argument with a lie printed on a bus.

It just shows how irrational and emotive people actually are by nature. Not all but I bet a fair majority of the 52% voted leave due to a generation of PM’s and media embedding into our believes that the EU is bad, immigration is bad, the polish are bad.

The referendum was a vote that the average person (me included) were not anywhere near qualified enough to vote on. We werent given enough of the facts on both sides before the referendum, I think we’ve all learnt things we never knew before.

GDP will likely decrease, inflation will kick in, investment in the UK will stifle, and the NHS will gain no more funding than it does already. So the simple (and smart if not deceitful) way the leave campaign put a slogan on a bus must’ve swayed a few voters.

I’ve no idea how the NHS will be able to function with lower numbers of EU staff, which will end up costing more as we have to replace European staff with Asian workers.

Edit: farmers squirming about Brexit post Brexit - who took all the EU subsidies, are asking for Westminster to fill the void and worried about WTO traiffs. The same farmers who probably voted for Brexit

It all gets taken out of context by people who read a Daily Mail headline.

Mark Carney and the BoE have modelled various scenarios of a no deal Brexit, one which sees house prices falling by 35%.

The scenario they also probably modelled where house prices grow in line with current inflation is not a headline to get the remainers worried or the brexiteers riled up and clicking the link or buying the paper.

But if house prices fall by 35% what difference will that make?
People dont spend their houses, their mortgage wont go go up or down, I do not see what relevance that has in the real world.

But if house prices fall by 35% what difference will that make?
People dont spend their houses, their mortgage wont go go up or down, I do not see what relevance that has in the real world.

It stalls the market, and creates negative equity for many with mortgages. It's a huge problem, if it happens.

It stalls the market, and creates negative equity for many with mortgages. It's a huge problem, if it happens.

But my point is, what will happen if your house is in negative equity?
Will you still pay the mortgage, it may stimulate house sales on vacant property. When the shit hit the fan 10 years ago many people went into negative equity but it meant they just had to sit and wait for recovery.

Dont get me wrong I voted to stay but statements like this can be looked at two ways.