Europe In Out Shake it all about | Page 121 | Vital Football

Europe In Out Shake it all about

Before the referendum and in debate with my son he cited
"We're the 5th strongest/biggest economy in the world" The fact that this was whilst we were part of Europe was wasted on him.

David Cameron had six years as Prime Minister and I would suggest he (and that ****** Osborne) done more damage to this country than any other political leader in the history of political leaders.

Lets just hope Corbyn never gets the opportunity out do him.

Does anyone actually know where Corbyn stands on Brexit? If my memory serves me correctly the Labour Party was a quiet as a mouse during the build up to the referendum, if they had of campaigned harder for their members particularly in the north to stay putting the right arguments forward they could’ve swung the vote - it was only 1m votes which could’ve swung it.

Also, didn’t Cameron promise the people a say on Europe during his 2nd campaign?

They've sort of come out in favour of remain Dan, without really coming out in favour of it or suggesting why we should remain. Now they're honouring the vote by sort of coming out in favour of Brexit without suggesting how it could work or providing ideas.

Corbyn might be in favour of sandals and making a proper decision tomorrow, but then again, maybe not. I'm not sure if he's indecisive or just afraid of commitment.

This is exactly the sort of stuff I was talking about BBJ but once again you have only put one side I am sure if I took the trouble I could find the same sort of stuff from Osborne,Cameron etc. E.g. Osbornes £4000 per household threat. none of which helps the discussion so I wont bother .
I cannot believe many people made their decisions based on sound bytes
but I agree about the whole bunch not being trustworthy.

This is exactly the sort of stuff I was talking about BBJ but once again you have only put one side I am sure if I took the trouble I could find the same sort of stuff from Osborne,Cameron etc. E.g. Osbornes £4000 per household threat. none of which helps the discussion so I wont bother .
I cannot believe many people made their decisions based on sound bytes
but I agree about the whole bunch not being trustworthy.

For sure, both sides served the British people very badly, Merlin.

I am seeing quite a few brexit voters (who are of good intelligence) however older (though I do realise younger people did vote brexit too) putting posts up on FB ''about it's simple. We shouldn't be having these debates. We said leave, so we just leave, going on about the 52% and the rights they have and there shouldn't be another referendum'' I am like WTF.

Needless to say I shut them up with my response which was paraphrased,: and what about the rights of the 48% that voted remain, plus there were millions who didn't vote. what about the fact it was a yes or no vote, not a vote on the terms of leaving, and why on earth did they think leaving would be easy and so on? Needless to say I shut them up with what I said. I was nice about it however firm in my response.

I am seeing quite a few brexit voters (who are of good intelligence) however older (though I do realise younger people did vote brexit too) putting posts up on FB ''about it's simple. We shouldn't be having these debates. We said leave, so we just leave, going on about the 52% and the rights they have and there shouldn't be another referendum'' I am like WTF.

Needless to say I shut them up with my response which was paraphrased,: and what about the rights of the 48% that voted remain, plus there were millions who didn't vote. what about the fact it was a yes or no vote, not a vote on the terms of leaving, and why on earth did they think leaving would be easy and so on? Needless to say I shut them up with what I said. I was nice about it however firm in my response.

Anyone saying that we should not have these debates are talking rubbish,the whole idea of democracy is your entitled to your opinion.
Another vote is going to be difficult lets say we have one a year and the diff goes down next year to 50.8 leave 49.2 remain or the other way round how many votes do you have and the loser will always have the same argument it needs another vote. This problem was really brought about by Cameron I fully agree with those who say it should have been by a 10% margin e.g. 55-45 but its to late to go back now and in the event of another vote however far down the line would be unfair to those who wish to be in the E.U. I would say can you imagine how bad it would have been had the difference been a few hundred votes either way. Its the same argument if you have multiple choice on a vote the way our politicians work it would take them years to agree a format.
Strangely enough leaving is easy its getting a decent deal which the politicians have completely loused up.Instead of coming together for the sake of the country the selfish
twats have done completely the opposite. In the meantime the E.U.
have hardened their stance,who can blame them the ball is very firmly in their court now.
As to another vote I think this will need to come from a political party in a general election as part of their mandate.

This is what The Economist is saying on the issue and perhaps another referendum

Here we go again?A second Brexit referendum is back in play
Parliamentary deadlock means it may be necessary to go back to the people

.......................................................................................

Jul 19th 2018
SINCE the vote to leave the European Union in June 2016, the more optimistic among those on the losing side have been lobbying for a rematch. Some argue for a re-run on the basis that Brexiteers lied during the campaign and broke election law (on July 17th the Electoral Commission fined the official Vote Leave campaign £61,000, or $80,000, for deliberately exceeding spending limits). Others say the public deserves a chance to vote on the final deal, which will bear little resemblance to the glittering one they were promised. Yet the idea of a second vote has never taken off. Polls have shifted only slightly in favour of remaining, and there is no great enthusiasm for another plebiscite, which would be the fourth nationwide vote in as many years.

Cont: https://www.economist.com/britain/2018/07/19/a-second-brexit-referendum-is-back-in-play

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone actually know where Corbyn stands on Brexit? If my memory serves me correctly the Labour Party was a quiet as a mouse during the build up to the referendum, if they had of campaigned harder for their members particularly in the north to stay putting the right arguments forward they could’ve swung the vote - it was only 1m votes which could’ve swung it.

Also, didn’t Cameron promise the people a say on Europe during his 2nd campaign?

I know exactly where he stands danvilla, allow me to explain.

Wherever he can without forming a proper policy in order to get the votes to get him into power.

Because much like the ones on the other side, he's a political chancer looking to win a game.

There is a four letter word appropriate for all of them. I won't use it!

Much as I am ashamed to say it Labour have devised a policy that involves 6 tests it is totally impossible to achieve it and gives them an excuse to vote against whatever deal the tories come back with. It would be like being in the E.U. without a vote. It would be much more honest to come out as a party backing remain,at least I would respect them for that.

I'm interested in the idea that the referendum should be re run and that the result should be based on a percentage majority. What happens if "Remain" wins with a majority beneath that percentage? Do we go again and again until one side or the other exceeds the required percentage?

Like I said at the time CDX there was an awful lot that went into my decision to vote leave and have already explained as the son of immigrants none of it was racist. I dont wish to bore folk with my diatribe as have had this discussion within my own family.And many a good discussion on here with Heath,Mike and others. To try to deal with your points.

Had many good discussions on here CDX
so please take my reply in the way it is intended without rancour or acid just another point of view. and please remember I am one of very few on here willing to own up to voting leave and put my point of view
knowing how strongly many on here are in favour of remain.

I wasn't trying to accuse you of racism and I definitely hope it didnt come off that way. I have a mate here who would have voted leave and it had nothing to do with immigration because he himself immigrated twice.

Really I just find it interesting you feel it was the right decision thats my main point. Some of the things I brought up are the reason's why I feel it was a poor decision and some of that is hindsight to be fair. Years ago I would have thought staying in the EU made no sense and now that I have seen whats happened here it would be ludicrous for Ireland to even consider it. I am not saying leaving will be a bad choice we won't know for a long time but its certainly not how you'd want to leave the EU. Its a scandalous mess.

Could not agree more about the scandalous mess the politicians have created CDX . The fact the whole bunch of them could not come together for the sake of the country is a big talking point with those I know and that includes both remain and leave voters.