Europe In Out Shake it all about | Page 112 | Vital Football

Europe In Out Shake it all about

May looks in a right pickle now. As push comes to shove on Brexit, both sides of the Tories are threatening to boot her out unless she does what they want. There is no way she is sneaking out of this one.

You'd almost feel sorry for her if she wasn't such a heartless ****.

The British government will host a summit encouraging six European countries to join the EU for the sake of their “security, stability and prosperity”, months before it is due to sign its own Brexit withdrawal deal with Brussels.

London will in July play host to Western Balkans governments including Serbia and Albania, as well as existing EU member states, to discuss reforms to pave the way to future EU enlargement.

:rofl:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-serbia-albania-berlin-process-a8347111.html

I see Michael Gove backed up his new bestie Boris by saying that May's solution for the Customs Union is "flawed"

She must be thrilled that the cabinet is backing her 100% !!!

Tory hardliner Peter Bone has called on the government to make June 23 a bank holiday called "Independence Day".

Commons leader and brief Conservative leadership hopeful Andrea Leadsom said she was "personally very sympathetic" to the idea.

It comes despite the government last year rubbishing Labour plans to introduce more bank holidays - which are estimated to cost the economy £2bn a time - saying: "The British economy would be on permanent holiday if [Jeremy] Corbyn got near Downing Street."

:lol: :Fingers:

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/peter-bone-bank-holiday-1-5522048

As someone who voted for brexit just thought for the sake of balance it might be worth putting forward my original reasons.

1 listening to the various arguments at the time it occurred to me that the remain side were only given me negatives based on what might happen if we left e.g. you will be so much worse off financially etc.
They totally failed to put forward the positives for staying in Europe
and please before you say they were obvious a large part of the electorate did not think so. George Osbornes scare tactics were a real turn off.

2. Immigration Quite funny being called a racist as my mother and father emigrated to the U.K. Nothing to do with colour race or creed
everything to do with numbers and not having the infrastructure to cope with the amount incoming. For the man in the street this meant a doctors appointment instead of 10 years ago 2 days 5 years ago 2 weeks now at my last call to a surgery 4 weeks. Schools trouble getting into the nearest schools why ? because there full. Hospitals I need not comment health service cannot cope. Please before you say Tory cuts your talking to natural labour voter who thinks successive governments are to blame. Wage stagnation if you have 20 people to choose from for each job or can import cheap labour why bother to pay more ?.

3. My fears for where Europe was headed I originally voted for a common market just trade not a European superstate. I have felt for some time that we were in danger of having not just our foreign policy made up by others but our whole way of life.

I have tried to keep this short to just make a few of the points made to me by others as well as a few of my own thoughts.

I will say quite openly I will never forget the sight of a British Prime Minister going round Europe with the begging bowl being humiliated by the leaders of other countries. If they had had the least bit of foresight at that time the whole thing could have been avoided.

I have been asked and how is Brexit going now ? answer remains quite simply until there is an agreement I wont be able to judge I do know that as a former Labour voter that I feel Corbyn has done a "Clegg" before the election having the same policy as the tories but
since then has moved the party to the remain side in all but name.
and I am sure many like me have taken note.

As someone who voted for brexit just thought for the sake of balance it might be worth putting forward my original reasons.

1 listening to the various arguments at the time it occurred to me that the remain side were only given me negatives based on what might happen if we left e.g. you will be so much worse off financially etc.
and please before you say they were obvious a large part of the electorate did not think so. George Osbornes scare tactics were a real turn off.

2. Immigration Quite funny being called a racist as my mother and father emigrated to the U.K. Nothing to do with colour race or creed
everything to do with numbers and not having the infrastructure to cope with the amount incoming. For the man in the street this meant a doctors appointment instead of 10 years ago 2 days 5 years ago 2 weeks now at my last call to a surgery 4 weeks. Schools trouble getting into the nearest schools why ? because there full. Hospitals I need not comment health service cannot cope. Please before you say Tory cuts your talking to natural labour voter who thinks successive governments are to blame. Wage stagnation if you have 20 people to choose from for each job or can import cheap labour why bother to pay more ?.

3. My fears for where Europe was headed I originally voted for a common market just trade not a European superstate. I have felt for some time that we were in danger of having not just our foreign policy made up by others but our whole way of life.

I have tried to keep this short to just make a few of the points made to me by others as well as a few of my own thoughts.

I will say quite openly I will never forget the sight of a British Prime Minister going round Europe with the begging bowl being humiliated by the leaders of other countries. If they had had the least bit of foresight at that time the whole thing could have been avoided.

I have been asked and how is Brexit going now ? answer remains quite simply until there is an agreement I wont be able to judge I do know that as a former Labour voter that I feel Corbyn has done a "Clegg" before the election having the same policy as the tories but
since then has moved the party to the remain side in all but name.
and I am sure many like me have taken note.

It's great to get your take on it, Merlin.

I feel that the middle ground has been scuppered by the hard-Brexit side of the Tories so there is only a hard Brexit or no Brexit now. May has been trying to hold the middle ground but she's on her own now.

The EU has helped rape the UK of a lot of massive companies and helped them re-locate, weakening the countries industry

There is a huge list online somewhere of exactly what the EU has done for Britain and it doesn't make good reading

Meanwhile in Northern Ireland...

Northern Ireland would vote overwhelmingly in favour of remaining in the EU if a second referendum was held, a survey has found.
The survey comes as the Brexit secretary, David Davis, made a second flying visit to Northern Ireland on Sunday, meeting businesses as part of his cabinet research into the “maximum facilitation” option for a post-Brexit customs system.
In 2016, the region voted 56% to remain and 44% to leave, but support for leaving the bloc has fallen 13 points to 31%, undermining the Democratic Unionist party’s continued staunch backing for Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/21/support-for-brexit-falls-sharply-in-northern-ireland

Meanwhile in Northern Ireland...

Northern Ireland would vote overwhelmingly in favour of remaining in the EU if a second referendum was held, a survey has found.
The survey comes as the Brexit secretary, David Davis, made a second flying visit to Northern Ireland on Sunday, meeting businesses as part of his cabinet research into the “maximum facilitation” option for a post-Brexit customs system.
In 2016, the region voted 56% to remain and 44% to leave, but support for leaving the bloc has fallen 13 points to 31%, undermining the Democratic Unionist party’s continued staunch backing for Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/21/support-for-brexit-falls-sharply-in-northern-ireland

I don't see a way out for the DUP. They don't want a hard border but they don't want to put on the wrong side of a new border either (like the proposed one in the Irish Sea).

This novelty protest vote is going to have some very interesting ramifications if someone doesn't pull the plug on it.

Yup, I voted remain, leaving and the benefits people think are coming baffles me. I really means baffles, totally discombobulated and worried for the economy that isn't properly out of choppy waters from the recession and the ensuing austerity philosophy of the Tories.

SO. To me, it should have been an easy sell and one that should have been split to talk to the different generations, not just on their worries (as you say the negative talk) but also the positives.

Immigration was allowed to be the main talking point because of the Daily Mail Line and the despicable shite from Farage (the poster alone was enough for me, but also his bullshit on NHS tourism) but he was able to attract a certain audience, knew how to peddle what he was selling and it was bought.

It was project fear for remain, a lot of the brexit stuff was project xenophobia and project lies. It was also political manoeuvring from the likes of Johnson who is just a chancer.

Remain could have swung it targeting the youth, tell them what could happen to the currency/exchange and spell it out 'that is your holidays 20% more expensive'. Explain the phone tariffs and spell out 'this is your future, not ours, get our and vote, or don't moan once done'

The £350m lie on the bus could have been dispelled and stability and 30 years of integration could have been a counter argument. They could also have told the story of the massive % of those 'bloody foreigners' who help run our NHS, hotels, catering industry etc.

I guess they could even have said if they aren't here to do our jobs, I hope those of you who can't be arsed to work realise you will have to!

How is it all going? I agree Merlin, no one can say, it's still being negotiated.

I hold to my original argument though, I wouldn't trust these people to organise a piss up in a brewery, so I sure as hell don't trust them to negotiate a good deal for Britain.

Oh and I'd have also challenged those who think the law has been taken out of our hands to list the exact laws taken from us that they are worried about, how they would repeal them and how that would be for the betterment of the country.

Your average Joe Blog would no doubt have cited the myth about the law on bananas. I'm sure Farage used it during the campaign.

Fear on the one side, lies and xenophobia on the other side.

What a mess

*not saying all were racially motived, that would be totally untrue, but it was a major theme that Farage managed to whip up to even include refugees who as anyone with an education should have been able to realise, were not European

I hope those who voted for Brexit, in good faith, are rewarded by the right outcome being delivered. With the fact no one seems to be able to come out with a unified idea of what Brexit even means, I'm sorry but I very much doubt that will happen.

I hope the lies are properly exposed at some point and the likes of Farage and Johnson get their just rewards. Although, just for balance, now it is happening, I hope it all works out brilliantly and we don't all have to pay a high price.

It'll be interesting. Or maybe it won't !

Great stuff, Fear. I'd add the whole thing was an internal Tory party squabble that was allowed to spill out into the nation by a weak Prime Minister.