Europa Conference League Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

Europa Conference League Thread

I'd like to know Nuno's perspective on competition as a whole. Is it a competition he is serious about winning and will pick teams accordingly? Or is it a training opportunity for the youngsters and fringe squad players?

One thing worth bearing in mind is that the group winners go straight into the last 16. The runners up go into the last 32 to be joined by the clubs exiting the Europa League. That extra round in Feb/Mar is a killer in the English clubs' schedules.

I'm assuming the way Nuno sees it is preparing for one game at a time, but planning a couple ahead. I think he'll keep the ECL team as strong as he can without putting the first teamers in the red zone.

Personally, I think we just about have enough depth to cope, with a small leap of faith from me on a few youngsters. The consistent formation and tactics throughout the squad across all competitions will be a massive factor. Makes it easy to interchange.

The other young player to miss out is Alfie Devine. He's 17 but he only joined from Wigan last summer so would have to be on list A. A shame as he's looked bright when he's got a chance

Team: Stade Rennais F.C.
Nation: France
League: Ligue 1
Stadium: Roazhon Park (29,778 cap)
Manager: Bruno Génésio
Form (last 5): 🟩 🟩 🟩 🟥 🟥
Cur. League Pos: 11
th

Potential Formation:
I'm expecting them to stick to their preferred 4-3-3 formation.

Playing Style:
They are a typical possession team, who find most success by utilising their width. They are decent short-range passers who look to feed their attackers in behind the defence way more often than launching long-range attacks. They tend to have most joy with counter attacks but when their counters don't work, they are prone to leaving a fair amount of space behind their midfield, which leaves them exposed to players who thrive in those scenarios. They also have a couple of powerhouse-types at CB who will likely be out to bully our central striker. We will have little joy in the air against them either. Some of their players are fairly consistent in giving away free kicks or making errors too. I predict it could be a fairly open game at times. The biggest positive for us is that Camavinga is no longer with them and Doku is unlikely to be fit in time.

In-form players:
Kamaldeen Sulemana (FW) - Very young wide attacker. He is a very skillful player who is quick and confident at taking players on. He is strong too and is almost certain to end up in the PL someday. Still a raw talent though. He has stepped into the role left by the injured Doku.

Alfred Gomis (GK) - A very competent shot stopper who has started the season well. He has decent reflexes and has been an important part of the Rennes setup for the last season.

Nayef Aguerd (CB) - An important figure at the back so far this season. He is a strong aerial presence and is a very focused defender. His passing is very good too and is a key person in the possession system.

So possession oriented team....yep we will see very little of the ball since our players don't really know how to maintain possession. I can see them spending a lot of time in our half.

If we get in their faces from the off, they will concede. We can force mistakes with them fairly easily I reckon. What will be our undoing will be if we don't organise our shape properly. They won't be push overs, but they are not as strong now as they were last season and Camavinga is a huge loss within the way they setup. Gil and Ndombele have to start.

I am quite ashamed of my lack of knowledge of European football so these reports really help. Also a lower league competition like this brings in clubs that could be future higher echelon and players who could step up and find their way into the PL.
When the idea of a Euro Correspondent and was directed towards me I turned it down because I knew I was not qualified to take it on. I think it may have been my idea I can't remember now. I couldn't envisage us making predictions on teams we knew nothing about so suggested we needed help.

Team: Nogometna šola Mura
Nation: Slovenia
League: Slovenian PrvaLiga
Stadium: Fazanerija (3,782 cap)
Manager: Ante Šimundža
Form (last 5): 🟩 🟥 🟩 ⬛ ⬛
Cur. League Pos:
5th

Potential Formation:
I'm expecting them to go with a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Playing Style:
Unsurprisingly Mura have been the hardest team to research. NS Mura, in their current form were founded in only 2012, out of the ashes of ND Mura 05, and NK Mura before that. They are what I would say are a typical central European team. They like to keep possession, they will be aggressive/combative and they will be really up for this game. Respectfully though, they are a real mis-match to us. They concede goals often but they do have some attacking players who are capable of giving defenders of all levels a tough game. Make no mistake, this is Premier League Vs League One, and we know all too well how those games can be hard fought nightmares.

In-form players:
Tomi Horvat (MC) - A real box to box midfielder who chips in with goals and assists. Everything goes through him and he performs best when he has a DM beside him who covers him when he pushes forward.

Amadej Marosa (FW) - A versatile forward who can play as a lone striker, a left winger or as a second striker. He isnt the tallest of players but can be a real handful.

Mitja Lotric (AMC) - Currently on-loan from Würzburger Kickers he has pushed his way into the team as the central attacking midfielder in recent games. He is the main creative outlet for them and will need to be closely monitored.

Team: Nogometna šola Mura
Nation: Slovenia
League: Slovenian PrvaLiga
Stadium: Fazanerija (3,782 cap)
Manager: Ante Šimundža
Form (last 5): 🟩 🟥 🟩 ⬛ ⬛
Cur. League Pos:
5th

Potential Formation:
I'm expecting them to go with a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Playing Style:
Unsurprisingly Mura have been the hardest team to research. NS Mura, in their current form were founded in only 2012, out of the ashes of ND Mura 05, and NK Mura before that. They are what I would say are a typical central European team. They like to keep possession, they will be aggressive/combative and they will be really up for this game. Respectfully though, they are a real mis-match to us. They concede goals often but they do have some attacking players who are capable of giving defenders of all levels a tough game. Make no mistake, this is Premier League Vs League One, and we know all too well how those games can be hard fought nightmares.

In-form players:
Tomi Horvat (MC) - A real box to box midfielder who chips in with goals and assists. Everything goes through him and he performs best when he has a DM beside him who covers him when he pushes forward.

Amadej Marosa (FW) - A versatile forward who can play as a lone striker, a left winger or as a second striker. He isnt the tallest of players but can be a real handful.

Mitja Lotric (AMC) - Currently on-loan from Würzburger Kickers he has pushed his way into the team as the central attacking midfielder in recent games. He is the main creative outlet for them and will need to be closely monitored.
Thanks for this Matic. The only question mark I have is who or what is a mismatch for us currently. Given the amount of flak that the manager and team have taken over the past few days hopefully there will be some positive reaction for this game which then carries thru into Sunday.

Thanks for this Matic. The only question mark I have is who or what is a mismatch for us currently. Given the amount of flak that the manager and team have taken over the past few days hopefully there will be some positive reaction for this game which then carries thru into Sunday.

Haha, that is a fair point. I should include: *on paper.