euro 2020 | Page 9 | Vital Football

euro 2020

Turkey were pretty shite overall, a shadow of the ability of former teams of theirs.
Ramsey excellent for Wales.

Well done Wales. That was the most exiting game so far. Bale missed a pen but created both goals plus a lot more.

Agreed. Although the France, Germany game last night was good too.

You're right about Bale too. Anybody can miss a penalty but only special players can create goals in the way he did. Really chuffed for the Welsh. And I have Welsh blood too so they always have my support. Unless they're playing England. Except in the rugby!

I was wondering if there could be a few good reasons to have the European championships group stages in the winners of the qualifying groups in future.
Giving more meaning to qualifying matches Bringing a major tournament to perhaps 20 or more countries over a few tournaments without having to be staged over many weeks with all that means.Also not perhaps needing to use the lesser venues in a single host country.
Of course it is easier to police with fewer countries brought together.

Last edited:
Agreed. Although the France, Germany game last night was good too.

You're right about Bale too. Anybody can miss a penalty but only special players can create goals in the way he did. Really chuffed for the Welsh. And I have Welsh blood too so they always have my support. Unless they're playing England. Except in the rugby!

I was very impressed with Bale and Ramsey. Both quality players who would walk into the England team.
They are both always trying to make things happen.
The main difference between a top player and the also ran is that a top player gets the ball and tries to do something with it, the average player gets the ball and looks to who he can pass it to.
Many of the current England team are happy just to unload it to a team mate.

Possession based football is beautiful to watch…Italia 🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹

Switzerland awful though. Very one sided game.
the more you expand these tournaments the more the quality goes down with teams who aren’t really good enough qualifying due to extra places being available.

the more you expand these tournaments the more the quality goes down with teams who aren’t really good enough qualifying due to extra places being available.

Agreed , so far mediocre at best

Strangely though, the Swiss tend to qualify for everything - even when it was a smaller competition, they’d usually be there. Since Hodgson got them going in the 90s, they’ve been pretty consistent in qualifying. They do look like a team that’s snuck in due to the expansion, but actually not the case with them, they’d have qualified anyway as group winners.

Strangely though, the Swiss tend to qualify for everything - even when it was a smaller competition, they’d usually be there. Since Hodgson got them going in the 90s, they’ve been pretty consistent in qualifying. They do look like a team that’s snuck in due to the expansion, but actually not the case with them, they’d have qualified anyway as group winners.

9th best side in Europe and 13th in the world, according to the FIFA rankings (for what they're worth)

Even qualified for 66 World cup with just 16 teams involved. Got well beaten iirc.

Maybe it is the case that Italy are really good then, rather than Switzerland being a poor side.
But it was a bit like watching Man City playing West Brom.

Even qualified for 66 World cup with just 16 teams involved. Got well beaten iirc.

They've qualified for 11 out of 20 world cups, reaching the quarter finals twice and the last 16 on three other occasions.

In the Euros they didn't qualify ever until 1996, but since then they've only failed to qualify twice.

Maybe it is the case that Italy are really good then, rather than Switzerland being a poor side.
But it was a bit like watching Man City playing West Brom.

Italy do seem good so far. Neither Turkey not Switzerland are poor. But they're not very good either. Whether Italy are the real deal or not will be revealed when they play one of the better teams.

I have seen a few Swiss super league matches so I sort of keep tabs on what is going on a little. Young Boys this season won the league by 31 points in a 36 match season.Normally others like Basel are very strong. Many of the best players do move abroad. But there does seem to be on a bit of a bad spell at present and possibly did well to qualify.

I have seen a few Swiss super league matches so I sort of keep tabs on what is going on a little. Young Boys this season won the league by 31 points in a 36 match season.Normally others like Basel are very strong. Many of the best players do move abroad. But there does seem to be on a bit of a bad spell at present and possibly did well to qualify.
Won their qualifying group apparently but have shown nothing in the tournament so far. The likes of Shaqiri seem to have gone backwards, he looked a better player 5 years ago.
I remember them being tough in England’s first match back in Euro ‘96, we could only manage to draw with them at Wembley.
Italy are on a good unbeaten run, but the jury’s out until they meet an England/Belgium/France/Portugal and to a lesser extent Spain/Netherlands.