euro 2020 | Page 2 | Vital Football

euro 2020

Just before kick off, put a bet on Italy to win the tournament.

Had a look at our 2006 WC squad and only Kane would get anywhere near that team.

Says how weak we are now or what a bunch of f###ing useless underachievers they were in 2006. (Probs the latter)

Italy were decent, pressed well but needed an own goal to break the deadlock as their own finishing was woeful up until then. They then grew in confidence and were helped by a hapless Turkey who only intended to sit and defend for the whole match and had no plan B once they went behind.

Loved the celebrations for Chiellini's late tackle. A better than average opener and we're off.

Just before kick off, put a bet on Italy to win the tournament.

Had a look at our 2006 WC squad and only Kane would get anywhere near that team.

Says how weak we are now or what a bunch of f###ing useless underachievers they were in 2006. (Probs the latter)

On paper maybe, but we had an unfit Rooney, an unfit Owen, 16 year old Walcott and Crouchy (who was the only one who did alright), so of course Kane walks into it.

As stupidly gifted that team otherwise looked, several players have admitted they didn’t like playing for England at that time as the club rivalries divided them. I’d say that team from 2006 could have done with a Grealish or Foden for their ability to keep the ball just as much as our current team now would kill for Terry and Rio at centre back!

were helped by a hapless Turkey who only intended to sit and defend for the whole match and had no plan B once they went behind.

Peter Taylor’s latter day ethos is alive and well in the international game I see.

On paper maybe, but we had an unfit Rooney, an unfit Owen, 16 year old Walcott and Crouchy (who was the only one who did alright), so of course Kane walks into it.

As stupidly gifted that team otherwise looked, several players have admitted they didn’t like playing for England at that time as the club rivalries divided them. I’d say that team from 2006 could have done with a Grealish or Foden for their ability to keep the ball just as much as our current team now would kill for Terry and Rio at centre back!
That club rivalry is something that's noticeably missing from this squad and i have to say that this is probably the most "tight" squad I can remember for some time. I heard Tyrone Mings being interviewed on Thursday and he said the Chelsea lads had even made efforts not to get stuck into the City players over the CL result (although he did add that after the tournament they'd get some stick) as they don't want to gloat and upset the harmony of the squad.
Team spirit is something Southgate seems to work hard on and I think it might serve us well as it nearly did in 2018 (I think it was the fitness of one or two players that let us down then, we ran out of steam against Croatia but I think things will be different on Sunday).
As everyone has mentioned, defence is our only slight worry but if we can get off the mark relatively unscathed, we'll look a lot better with Macguire back in the team.

My complete disinterest in Premier League football means I don't know who half of the players are.

I listened to World In Motion yesterday whilst stuck in traffic in Greenwich and am pleased that I still know all of the words to the John Barnes rap.

My complete disinterest in Premier League football means I don't know who half of the players are.

I listened to World In Motion yesterday whilst stuck in traffic in Greenwich and am pleased that I still know all of the words to the John Barnes rap.
Same here, I only really know the England players from their performances for England and really couldn't tell you which ones have had a particularly good season (apart from reading headlines etc) or which ones are in form. I really couldn't pick a best 11 on form but we are clearly blessed with some very good young talent.
I've loved Grealish, Mount, Foden from what I've seen and Kane always puts in a shift for England (injury is my worry with him). I like the defence but it's not the finished article (Mings always has a penalty or red card in him) but, as I said above, it will look a lot more settled with Maguire.

Very impressed by Italy's all round energy and relentless desire to regain and retain possession. We will need to match that and can but I'm concerned about stamina through the tournament and think Southgate needs to use his squad to spread the load. I'm no premiership expert but I do think it's easy to concentrate on the faults and shortcomings of our players and to overestimate players from opponents. We all know Sterling's failings for instance but his raw pace and ability to carry the ball into and through defenders has embarrassed the best in the world. He's an asset even if not a starter and the same applies to a number of others.

Very impressed by Italy's all round energy and relentless desire to regain and retain possession. We will need to match that and can but I'm concerned about stamina through the tournament and think Southgate needs to use his squad to spread the load. I'm no premiership expert but I do think it's easy to concentrate on the faults and shortcomings of our players and to overestimate players from opponents. We all know Sterling's failings for instance but his raw pace and ability to carry the ball into and through defenders has embarrassed the best in the world. He's an asset even if not a starter and the same applies to a number of others.
I love Sterling and backed him (on here as well as other forums) when he got stick at the world cup. I felt he and Deli Ali were both played out of position then and had they swapped, both would have proved much more effective but football is all about opinions. Southgate eventually played him in his right position against Spain and the results are there for all to see. Quality player (and newly appointed MBE to boot)

Horrible, horrible scene! Football isnt important at a time like this! Brought back the memory of when ex Gill Paul Sykes collapsed on the pitch playing for Folkestone against Margate!