euro 2020 | Page 63 | Vital Football

euro 2020

The first 4 items on the BBC Sport page are about racism

And your point is?

Interesting comments from Johnny Mercer and Baroness Warsi suggest old loyalties shifting on this issue.

Football needs and now wants to lose its racist and hooligan element and the image that presents to non fans.

It is impossible to know however how many people started to post racist abuse, but then stopped because they remembered the knee, hope not hate, no place for racism etc campaigns.

Probably about the same number that changed their opinion on Brexit from Leave to remain, or vice versa, because they were being told they were either wrong or ignorant by so called influencers.

And your point is?

That the actions of a few thousand internet warriors has overshadowed a European Cup final / Wimbledon etc.

Who is it that is blaming the 3 black players for missing the penalties? And how can people be educated not to abuse strangers (politicians/celebrities/footballers/reality stars) on the internet?

The cultural diversity of our successful national team was rammed down our throats, and then the final happened. Are Italian persons of colour not celebrating now, as they weren't represented in their national football team?

Hopefully If we keep doing the same thing, something will change.

Probably about the same number that changed their opinion on Brexit from Leave to remain, or vice versa, because they were being told they were either wrong or ignorant by so called influencers.

I wonder when I see anti-female violence marches, who marchers are appealing to? The men that think it is ok to beat a woman, but who will change that opinion after reading a cardboard sign held by a university student?

OK ThreeSixes protesters, students and the like irritate you and you believe they change nothing. That's your opinion and you are entitled to it but my experience and history tells me otherwise. It isn't just about internet warriors there have been actual acts of racism in the street and the general thuggery is closely associated. The fact that Danish and Italian fans were abused and attacked inside and outside the ground shows our game has a wider problem. I'm sick of that behaviour being associated with our game of seeing how non football fans perceive us. Other sports have their problems but none allow such a minority to hijack their name and disgrace it in such ways.

They're on the spud?

Usually I hate the auto correct but that one, which I spotted and edited before I saw your post, definitely made me laugh!

Thought I'd gotten away with it but actually quite pleased you quoted it before I'd edited it.

I'd happily fill up a bong for each and every one of these amazing players. They should have had one before the penalty shootout!!

OK ThreeSixes protesters, students and the like irritate you and you believe they change nothing. That's your opinion and you are entitled to it but my experience and history tells me otherwise. It isn't just about internet warriors there have been actual acts of racism in the street and the general thuggery is closely associated. The fact that Danish and Italian fans were abused and attacked inside and outside the ground shows our game has a wider problem. I'm sick of that behaviour being associated with our game of seeing how non football fans perceive us. Other sports have their problems but none allow such a minority to hijack their name and disgrace it in such ways.

You may be right that there can be a very small number of miscreants that will "see the light" due to these protests but there will always be isolated incidents and it seems as if these campaigns and political gestures will continue, however reduced the problem becomes.

It is odd that you mention that there are acts of racism and general thuggery in the street, when we are often told that the abusers on social media are cowards and would not type, or threaten, what they do if they were face to face with their target. That seems to be contradictory.

Abuse and violence can only be reduced and never stamped out fully, and white people, as well as the police, have to face that as well as those of other ethnicities. The recent memorial for the three white men stabbed to death in a park by a muslim man was another reminder of that.

Pond life will continue to abuse those with disabilities, or are different in any way, regardless of their ethnicity. It was ever thus, and it is just a sad fact that they can not be "educated" otherwise.

Still, look on the bright side. We haven't had a world war recently.

Last edited:
The fact that Danish and Italian fans were abused and attacked inside and outside the ground shows our game has a wider problem. I'm sick of that behaviour being associated with our game of seeing how non football fans perceive us.

Yes, and all of that was AFTER the take a knee / kick it out. So was that a success worth continuing with?

And is it "football fans" doing it? You can see the prejudice towards football fans when Trashbat posts a video showing "thuggish football fans attacking an Asian supporter after the match". Instead it wasn't at all - he saw something and leapt to a conclusion using his pre defined anti-England supporter prejudice.

Yes, and all of that was AFTER the take a knee / kick it out. So was that a success worth continuing with?

And is it "football fans" doing it? You can see the prejudice towards football fans when Trashbat posts a video showing "thuggish football fans attacking an Asian supporter after the match". Instead it wasn't at all - he saw something and leapt to a conclusion using his pre defined anti-England supporter prejudice.

Some media outlets are desperate to "prove" English football is racist to justify their own actions but there is no evidence that these few idiots on twitter were even English. If a few hostile states try to stoke division in our country then so be it, but we musnt be gullible enough to use this as evidence that "proves" English football is racist.

It is done because our media lap it up. Personally i wouldnt report it at all, then it would stop. They want the attention.

Some media outlets are desperate to "prove" English football is racist to justify their own actions but there is no evidence that these few idiots on twitter were even English. If a few hostile states try to stoke division in our country then so be it, but we musnt be gullible enough to use this as evidence that "proves" English football is racist.

It is done because our media lap it up. Personally i wouldnt report it at all, then it would stop. They want the attention.
Agree 100%, Sunday night was the perfect result for a lot of people.

I follow horse racing, and the abuse jockeys get on twitter when they lose is horrific. There was a high profile story recently where a teenage girl jockey got a tweet saying he hoped she got raped, etc etc etc, after losing a race. Her father reported it to the police.

But what can you do?. How can you educate people that it isn't right that you tweet someone to say that after they have lost a horse race? You can't, you need to report it to the authorities to take action on individual cases.

All the racists want Southgate out. Doesn't matter to them that he's got us to a WC semi-final and a Euros final and is the most successful manager since Alf Ramsey.

The racists don't like the fact that this team and manager represent everything that the racists despise. Of course they want him gone.

Absolutely no surprise then that our resident racist wants him gone.

So proud of the manager and team.

So ashamed of the racist scum.
Oh dear, I missed this.
Who is this "resident racist" ?
Please name and shame ...... with evidence.
(So far you haven't.)

Do you need "help" for your persistent fantasies of "racists" and "racism" ?
:shake:

Good point about twitter etc., mick. It`s highly possible that some of the filth put on twitter came from places other than the UK - in which case, it can make criminal investigation of offences revealed more complicated. Global media (social media platforms) don`t exactly lean over backwards to assist police in identifying suspects - in these circumstances police often face frustrating and time consuming process, sometimes even downright obstruction.

Social Media needs to up its game and take on more responsibility for the vile vitriol abuse placed on its websites day in day out. HMG needs to do more to "persuade" the web giants to become more accountable.

Think it's really fu**ed up any chance of us getting the 2030 World Cup (gives the perfect excuses to all those who do not want us to get it).
Sadly this is probably true. However, it'll be the violence not the racist abuse that is most damaging.

Russia are hardly a pillar of tolerance and they got to host it. The same can be said for Qatar

Good point about twitter etc., mick. It`s highly possible that some of the filth put on twitter came from places other than the UK - in which case, it can make criminal investigation of offences revealed more complicated. Global media (social media platforms) don`t exactly lean over backwards to assist police in identifying suspects - in these circumstances police often face frustrating and time consuming process, sometimes even downright obstruction.

Social Media needs to up its game and take on more responsibility for the vile vitriol abuse placed on its websites day in day out. HMG needs to do more to "persuade" the web giants to become more accountable.

All true Lancs but I wonder about those "places other than the UK". Entirely possible that most are genuinely so and I am no internet expert. It does however occur to me that a malicious person wishing to post nasty stuff and smart enough to avoid detection might use a VPN. If that is what is going on identification of offenders may be difficult.

Where’s SurreyBob when you need him?
It transpires that only 5 of the 105 accounts that abused England players were from inside the U.K.
Bloody Ruskies I expect.
I was talking with my cousin who works for GCHQ and he told me that it’s really easy to trace, should the companies decide to make the effort.