euro 2020 | Page 11 | Vital Football

euro 2020

You've just got to remember how awful the teams you play in qualifying are to understand why teams like Austria are here. Easily good enough to finish 2nd in qualifying.

Then you get here and they get found out by the top teams. It's kind of the point of football.

It's teams like North Macedonia qualifying through the stupid nations league route that's the problem.
The thing is though the Dutch are hardly a top team any more.
North Macedonia were better than I was expecting, could have got a draw today.
For me these tournaments don’t really start until we get to the knock out stages.
I’m not sure exactly how it works this time, but I think even some teams who finish 3rd in the group stages can still qualify!

The thing is though the Dutch are hardly a top team any more.
North Macedonia were better than I was expecting, could have got a draw today.
For me these tournaments don’t really start until we get to the knock out stages.
I’m not sure exactly how it works this time, but I think even some teams who finish 3rd in the group stages can still qualify!
Yeah it's like the last Euros. 4 of the 6 third place teams will go through. It's because they expanded the tournament so essentially the group stage gets rid of the smaller teams that would never qualify in the old system, like Scotland

a) hands off Macedonia. They did ok.
b) according to RT, the RU manager swigged the coke -presumably the new spirit of Geneva
c) what a drag it is when we choose to politicize everything and read every action and non-action as a statement or performance

I blame second rate social science as taught by third rate social scientists

a) hands off Macedonia. They did ok.
b) according to RT, the RU manager swigged the coke -presumably the new spirit of Geneva
c) what a drag it is when we choose to politicize everything and read every action and non-action as a statement or performance

I blame second rate social science as taught by third rate social scientists
Welcome to post covid 2021 , 'build back better' I believe it's called.
The great reset is coming!

I’m actually really looking forward to tonight’s game.
I’m quite often underwhelmed by England performances but I’m hoping for a high intensity, high pressing, quick passing game from both teams.

I’m quite often underwhelmed by England performances but I’m hoping for a high intensity, high pressing, quick passing game from both teams.

Me too. We should win fairly easily but I want to see a really good performance that will make other countries sit up and notice.

I know I'll get slaughtered for this but there is a tiny part of me (about 1%) that won't mind too much if we lose though. The Scots would absolutely love it. And though I don't want it to happen I would enjoy seeing the Scots as happy as a victory against England at Wembley would make them.

*Buddha runs for cover!*

Me to, bit gutted that I had my tickets pinged by Uefa, but still can't wait for it. I fully want us to win, but there's part of me that wants there to be something on the last match v the Czechs as I'll be there for that one. I guess England thumping Scotland and qualifying, the Czechs beating Croatia and setting up a group winner match, then us beating the Czechs to win the group would do the job.

For me, it'll be tough - not because Scotland are good, they're rubbish - but they'll always be up for it against us. I was there for the last competitive game at Wembley and it was blood and thunder for most of the first half and the Scots had a few half chances, but when we scored they had no gameplan after that and we took them to pieces and won 3-0, which could have been more.

That'll be the key for me tonight. A quick and high tempo start from England as the Scots will be up for it. If we can match their effort and tempo for the first 20, I think our quality will tell and we'll score first and then get on top and win easily. If we don't do that, they'll stay in the game and get confidence and come into it as it goes on, if it stays 0-0.

I think Gareth should stick with a fairly similar team to the one that won comfortably without really getting out of third gear on Sunday. I'd bring Shaw in at left back and switch the defensively effective Trippier to right back to thwart Roberston who is their best weapon. I'd be looking to get some minutes under the belt of Grealish who I say being key as we progress as well as Henderson, Bellingham, Rashford and ideally Maguire, especially if we are comfortable in the second half.

If we win today, I'd make XI starting changes v the Czechs and try out a few new things - not often you get to do that in a competitive match, such as playing a back three.

I'd go in a flexible 3-4-3/3-5-1 formation:

GK - Johnstone

CBs - White, Maguire, Walker

Wing backs - Chilwell, James

Holding midfield - Henderson, Bellingham

Wingers - Rashford, Grealish

Forward: Calvert-Lewin

I'd obviusly be looking to involve the likes of Sancho and co who might not have played during the group stages. That would team should easily be good enough v the Czechs at Wembley and shows what strength in depth we have and gives everyone in the squad some game time and is a runout for those coming back from injury, plus keeps our starters fresh.

Come on England

Me too. We should win fairly easily but I want to see a really good performance that will make other countries sit up and notice.

I know I'll get slaughtered for this but there is a tiny part of me (about 1%) that won't mind too much if we lose though. The Scots would absolutely love it. And though I don't want it to happen I would enjoy seeing the Scots as happy as a victory against England at Wembley would make them.

*Buddha runs for cover!*
I’d like to see England win 7-0 and witness the Scots trudging out with their heads held low with twenty minutes to go.
C’mon England!

On a different note, should the U.K. government tell Eufa to do one, with reference to the dignitaries coming in from red countries without isolating.
They are allegedly considering moving the final to Hungary if the U.K. government doesn’t concede.
Personally, I’d say, stick to our guns and let them move it.
Half of St. Ives is now closed and isolating because of the crowds of protesters arriving for the G7.

I'm going to be a bit controversial here, and I really really hope I'm hopelessly wrong, but, I think this is the worst England side for many years going into a tournament. I think the goalkeepers are at the best average, defenders Tyrone Mings is a joke of a centre half and if he doesn't give away a penalty and also get sent off,I will be amazed.
John Stones ,has improved a bit ,but the defenders around him at city help him a lot.
My second team is Man Utd, but whilst Shaw has had his best ever season,he does get caught out by staying too far upfield when an attack breaks down. Chilwell is a better bet at leftback. I assume Kyle Walker will be right back ,but so often he gets caught ball watching.
Midfield is our strength ,although how Southgate will fit in Grealish,Mount ,Fodin and Henderson I don't know. Henderson is probably the only ball winner in there,and he's got to be doubtful after such a long layoff
Upfront really concerns me. Kane is liable to break down with his ankle, and why oh why does he keep dropping back into midfield to try to win the ball
Now I come to Rashford. He's had a very poor season and continually tries to take on one man too many, and if Southgate plays him on the right he is very ineffective.
Stirling for whatever reason has gone backwards this season, and he can consider himself fortunate to be in the squad
Of the rest that I can remember without loking them up
Maguire, better that Mings but will he recover for the later stages in the unlikely event we get there?
Calvin Lewis ( is that spelt right) Kanes deputy, exceptional in the air,but where will the supply come from as Southgate has left Ward -Prowse out?
Ben White looks good but very inexperienced at international level
Sorry to be so pessimistic but like a lot of you, I've watched England fail with far better squads ( remember the golden generation).
I think we will fail to beat Croatia,lose to the Czechs and against Scotland,who knows? They always make it tough for us.
Still, if it all goes belly up ( and I really hope it doesn't) the media can always blame the booing of taking the knee

I right little ray of sunshine

Refereeing has been well above average in this tournament, histrionics disregarded, yellow cards for simulation and a more balanced approach to the physical side. I'm just a tiny bit concerned that the ref for England v Scotland might revert a decade or two and allow us to just get on with it too much. That might allow the Scots to overachieve. I'm looking forward to it and expecting a win say 3-1. This game need not determine our tournament whatever happens but the Scots need something from it at all costs and for every reason. Stand firm England.

An apparent leak suggests two changes, Shaw in for Trippier and James in for Walker. I'd be happy with that. Maguire is reportedly fit but I'd guess he's being kept back one more game to be sure meaning a fully fit squad (barring injuries in the next two games) for the next round.
Fully expect Kane to get up to speed in this match after a bit of a sluggish start. Might just ease in with a cheeky hat trick (obviously, England's first ever) and we're set fair for the final.

WCBAEC

On a different note, should the U.K. government tell Eufa to do one, with reference to the dignitaries coming in from red countries without isolating.
They are allegedly considering moving the final to Hungary if the U.K. government doesn’t concede.
Personally, I’d say, stick to our guns and let them move it.
Half of St. Ives is now closed and isolating because of the crowds of protesters arriving for the G7.
Yes. Tell them to do one. I said to the missus this morning, what would be the populist decision for Johnson and we agreed he'd let them in so the semis/final can be at Wembley to keep his new found red wall fans happy and help bribe them to give us a future world cup.

Result? Potential influx of new Covid variant and extended restrictions/f#cking lockdown again for us.

F###ed if I want to stay indoors longer than necessary to pander to UEFA spoilt brats.

I now hear that Johnson has gone for the populist option. C##t.

Yes. Tell them to do one. I said to the missus this morning, what would be the populist decision for Johnson and we agreed he'd let them in so the semis/final can be at Wembley to keep his new found red wall fans happy and help bribe them to give us a future world cup.

Result? Potential influx of new Covid variant and extended restrictions/f#cking lockdown again for us.

F###ed if I want to stay indoors longer than necessary to pander to UEFA spoilt brats.

I now hear that Johnson has gone for the populist option. C##t.
You OK Hun?????❤❤❤