Euro 2020 | Vital Football

Euro 2020

ME8_Gills

Vital Reserves Team
Am quite looking forward to watching some free to air competitive footy. Italy looking quite strong as are France. England should get through their group and hopefully stuff the sweaty socks, even though they've improved lately.
Not sure on the outcome if a squad has to forfeit a match due to Covid reasons, hopefully that won't happen and we can Covid free tournament.

not exciting me yet, hope that changes.
England looking better when we go for it and relax. Problem is that once it gets tough Southgate goes back to defensive boring modern football - sideways rotation yawn.

Now he’s waited this long, he may as well wait until June 14th when we may get more info about fans attending matches from the government
Edit: posted in wrong thread, I’m on about season tickets.

Last edited:
Exciting me immesnely as someone who always backs England unlike some weirdos, who seem indifferent to their national team. I am lucky unough to be one of the 22,500 for the Croatia match next week and am absolutely buzzing for it. We need to get to the ground early due to the Covid precautions, but me and my cousin are meeting at 11am for a few beers in kings Cross and then have an evening afterwards planned to (hopefully) celebrate. I lost my tickets for the Scotland match, which was a shame, but have tickets for the Czech match, so have got pretty lucky in the ballot and look forward to that one too.

I have zero interest in England friendly games but thoroughly enjoy the summer tournaments - there is a tiny part of the magic remaining I felt for Mexico 1970. Bring it on! Slightly concerned the new group stage format will be a damp squib - now where's my wallchart.

Put all my bets on today through paddy power .... Italy to win with immobile top scorer....

Been burnt by England so many times over the years and cannot believe they are favourites at 9/2 ...... 🙈🙈🙈🙈

Will probably watch a few games down the pub :punk::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::silly:

I can never understand why Belgium are ever at the top of the world rankings.

Some good individuals but never a team that fully gels. I never doubted that France would beat them in the semis at the last World Cup. Even Wales put paid to them at the previous Euros, and we had previously beaten the Taffs before falling to the mighty Iceland.

De Bruyne is not likely to be 100% fit, Hazard's form has gone off a cliff since joining Real Madrid, plus Alderweireld and Vertonghen are deep in to their 30s.
They will be relying heavily on Courtois and Lukaku.

I can never understand why Belgium are ever at the top of the world rankings.

Some good individuals but never a team that fully gels. I never doubted that France would beat them in the semis at the last World Cup. Even Wales put paid to them at the previous Euros, and we had previously beaten the Taffs before falling to the mighty Iceland.

De Bruyne is not likely to be 100% fit, Hazard's form has gone off a cliff since joining Real Madrid, plus Alderweireld and Vertonghen are deep in to their 30s.
They will be relying heavily on Courtois and Lukaku.
Didn’t Belgium beat us twice at the last World Cup? In the Group stages and 3rd/4th playoff match.
France only sneaked past them narrowly. But I think those 2 teams are fairly equal, both better than England overall. We are weak in defence and central midfield.

Didn’t Belgium beat us twice at the last World Cup? In the Group stages and 3rd/4th playoff match.
France only sneaked past them narrowly. But I think those 2 teams are fairly equal, both better than England overall. We are weak in defence and central midfield.

Two dead rubbers that counted for little. France won when it mattered. I regard Belgium as a bit like England of the past 20 years - lots of talent, but too often fail when it matters. I hope England prove me wrong this time - they have the bonus of home advantage in lots of games, but I just can't see us getting through four knock-out games probably against good teams.

It's great, I'm starting to get excited about this tournament.

In all honesty, I've really lost a lot of interest in football since the pandemic started. I've not seen any Gills games on the ifollow thing but have been reassuring myself that had I done so I would have been interested simply because it's the Gills.

But with other games the interest has seriously waned. Previously I'd watch any game, and some if them I'd get excited about. The lack of fans though, suddenly made it all seem so banal.

So really pleased that my interest and enthusiasm appears to be returning. Wouldn't it be great if England win it and then Gills follow that with a serious promotion push next season....

Put all my bets on today through paddy power .... Italy to win with immobile top scorer....

Been burnt by England so many times over the years and cannot believe they are favourites at 9/2 ...... 🙈🙈🙈🙈

Will probably watch a few games down the pub :punk::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::silly:

I wouldn't bet on England as they are always too short. I guess they are understandable joint favourites with lots of talent and likely most games at home, but France are clear favoruites to me. Italy are improved and play better than the dull side we've seen for many years, but I can;t help thinking that they're most effective when they play that defensive Italian style. From what I've seen theyr current team plays a bit more that that and I'm not sure they've got the players to outplay the better teams. Too short ar 10/1 for me. The Germans, whilst not looking good on paper, can never be written off and Portugal look an improved all round team from the team that won the Euros; whilst Ronaldo isn't quite the player he was (he's still top drawer), they have some excellent young players and players beside Ronaldo have improved.

Does anyone know what the odds of England winning are in other countries? I can only assume they're much longer, and more accurate.

Does anyone know what the odds of England winning are in other countries? I can only assume they're much longer, and more accurate.
Agree

Ludicrous that we are joint favourites in my local Corals

We invariably melt when under pressure., see the Croatia semi as an example, when we were cruising it at half time.

I'd be ecstatic if I'm wrong. I'm actually old enough to remember watching us win the World Cup. I feel sorry for younger fans who have only experienced disappointment and underachievement, particularly in the 'noughties'.

Doesn't seem to matter who or what style of manager we have. Southgate seems like a nice bloke but that's about it. Wtf did he play 5 players who he'd just dropped from the squad for the practice match v Austria? Why practice for a tournament less than a fortnight away with players you've just hooked?

I think we have the players but as much as a nice guy Southgate is, I think he will be found out tactically when it matters. Hope not.

I always force myself not to get my hopes up but by the time the knock out stage starts something will have sparked my optimism and I’ll be dreaming of glory again before crashing back down with our exit. Same circle of pain for years now.

The pedestrian display v Austria should have dampened expectations but reading all Sunday supplements the anticipation is in full force once again. Can’t wait! Come on England.

England to me are much like The Gills. I'll start off believing that they can beat anyone, but not surprised when they don't!

I can imagine it now, England start off with some fine-flowing and exciting play. We come close to scoring a couple a few times before finally getting a well deserved goal ten minutes or so into the second half.

As soon as England get the goal they decide to play deeper and before you know what's happening it's a back to the walls defensive effort. Five minutes from time the opposition equalise and two minutes later they take the lead.

And then the England supporters start singing, "Gillingham, Gillingham, it's just like watching the Gills, it's just like watching the Gills...!"

I can imagine it now, England start off with some fine-flowing and exciting play. We come close to scoring a couple a few times before finally getting a well deserved goal ten minutes or so into the second half.

As soon as England get the goal they decide to play deeper and before you know what's happening it's a back to the walls defensive effort. Five minutes from time the opposition equalise and two minutes later they take the lead.

And then the England supporters start singing, "Gillingham, Gillingham, it's just like watching the Gills, it's just like watching the Gills...!"

Are you sure you never watched The Gills on iFollow, that was quite a few of their games?!