Euro 2020 thread | Page 20 | Vital Football

Euro 2020 thread

Maximum negative.
Lucky Germany were garbage.
Just about finds the balls to bring a creative player on.
He makes the difference.
Muller misses.
Job done.

=

25 year contract and double knighthood.
Good job it wasn't Gerd through on goal. My German girlfriend tells me he is very ill with Alzheimers. Keep well Der Bomber.

Grealish got Southgate out of jail. As soon as he came on the Germans became concerned and dropped deeper down the left allowing Shaw to get forward for the first time. Result Grealish involved in both goals. What went before was as dull as dishwater as both teams cancelled each other out. Southgate has to show some balls and play Grealish from the start but I doubt he will as he seems to prefer the Greek method of trying to win the Euros rather than that of a flamboyant Spain. Shame because we have the flair players to play that way.

As for the Yorkshire Pudding he's an accident waiting to happen with his tackling technique. It was a bad tackle yesterday for his yellow. The Ukraine team showed yesterday they will roll around if you breathe on them. Change here required IMO. Mount alongside Rice if we're going to persist with two holding midfielders as unlike the other two Mount will run with the ball through the middle. No chance of this though.

The memory of Iceland looms in the quarters on Saturday go for the jugular from the start and we win. Sit back in the same passive way and we run the risk of a decision going against us and them nicking a goal and sitting deep for the rest of the game.

Grealish got Southgate out of jail. As soon as he came on the Germans became concerned and dropped deeper down the left allowing Shaw to get forward for the first time. Result Grealish involved in both goals. What went before was as dull as dishwater as both teams cancelled each other out. Southgate has to show some balls and play Grealish from the start but I doubt he will as he seems to prefer the Greek method of trying to win the Euros rather than that of a flamboyant Spain. Shame because we have the flair players to play that way.

As for the Yorkshire Pudding he's an accident waiting to happen with his tackling technique. It was a bad tackle yesterday for his yellow. The Ukraine team showed yesterday they will roll around if you breathe on them. Change here required IMO. Mount alongside Rice if we're going to persist with two holding midfielders as unlike the other two Mount will run with the ball through the middle. No chance of this though.

The memory of Iceland looms in the quarters on Saturday go for the jugular from the start and we win. Sit back in the same passive way and we run the risk of a decision going against us and them nicking a goal and sitting deep for the rest of the game.
I think Phillips has played at least as well as Rice so far in the Euro's Longy and yes the Germans had a couple of chances but the facts are we are yet to concede in the tournament so the coach and the team are doing summat r8.I've wanted Grealish to start every game but perhaps Gareth thinks he can be effective coming on for the last 30 mins or so, running at tiring defenders.I would definitely settle for 3 more 1-0 wins in the Euro's,i want to see my country win summat again but obviously i want to see DEM MIGHTY BLADES win summat more than i do England but for now it's COME ON ENGLAND for me.UTB

How the hell any English football fan can whinge about yesdi's result is beyond me,it really is.Was it a gr8 performance NO definitely not,was it a gr8 result YES 100% YES,i don't give a shiny if the players spend 10 seconds kneeling before the game or if they don't attack like Brazil's 1970's side did and yes obviously i'd like the football to be more attractive but if i was given the choice of carrying on like we have played and winning or playing very attacking football and losing i'll take winning every day of the week. I think the 3 South Yorkshire lads played very well and owd leadboots as some of our fanbase called HAZZA when he was at BDBL is starting to look a thoroughbred in my opinion.Jordan Pickford's playing very well also perhaps the pressure of having our Rammers in the squad his keeping him on his toes.Delighted for Sterling and Kane,i'd like Grealish to start v Ukraine but i'll leave it to Gareth to pick the team i mean 3 wins one drw and no goals conceded in 4 games says to me he's doing ok.:yes:UTB
Just had a quick resumé of last nights posts and nope nobody moaned about last nights result, I was disappointed with how we went about it but on reflection I think it was due to the standard of the opposition and the amount of respect we gave them that is the poorest German team I have seen at a major tournament and I felt we should have won more comfortably than we did but it’s cup knockout football now and as both you and Derry pointed out it’s about winning now and if we do it no one will give a monkeys how I suppose, it’s just after having to endure our slow build up play all season and crab football I was hoping for better from the cream of the country’s talent but nobody on this island is goin to moan about beating the Germans especially when it sends them home

I think Phillips has played at least as well as Rice so far in the Euro's Longy and yes the Germans had a couple of chances but the facts are we are yet to concede in the tournament so the coach and the team are doing summat r8.I've wanted Grealish to start every game but perhaps Gareth thinks he can be effective coming on for the last 30 mins or so, running at tiring defenders.I would definitely settle for 3 more 1-0 wins in the Euro's,i want to see my country win summat again but obviously i want to see DEM MIGHTY BLADES win summat more than i do England but for now it's COME ON ENGLAND for me.UTB
Philips playing as well as Rice is not saying much though Rod.

It's like a choice between broccoli or cabbage:(.

Thought the South Yorkshire back 3 defence looked solid last night but the nagging fear that Stones has a big mistake in him just will not go away for me.

Obviously the result trumps all other comment but I thought it was pretty turgid for 70 minutes and I think Shaw's cross for Sterling's goal was the 1st time he had played it forward all night.
Still can't decide if we are playing well and Southgate is tactically astute or we are getting away with it. No matter, looking at the draw, things are opening up for us to get to the final at least.

Will that be seen as success or not? Southgate doesn't have to worry as his contract has been extended regardless:eek:

BTW didn't see all of the 1st 20 minutes as Joe was steering England home with an unbeaten 80 in his 150th ODI-whilst becoming the 4th fastest ever to get to 6000 ODI runs.

we play flambobyant and we lose simple as that. as it happens we,re in the quaters and havnt conceeded, only some england fans could criticise ,its comical. his tactics and set up as been bang on,and its what it takes to come close if not win the euros. look at ya flamboyant sides .FRANCE PORTUGAL DUTCH GERMANS . im sure theyd rather still be in the competition rather than being sat at home watching. South gate as got it spot on so far. Only thing i agree with is Grealish needs to start. and that would be for sako.

Thought the South Yorkshire back 3 defence looked solid last night but the nagging fear that Stones has a big mistake in him just will not go away for me.

Obviously the result trumps all other comment but I thought it was pretty turgid for 70 minutes and I think Shaw's cross for Sterling's goal was the 1st time he had played it forward all night.
Still can't decide if we are playing well and Southgate is tactically astute or we are getting away with it. No matter, looking at the draw, things are opening up for us to get to the final at least.

Will that be seen as success or not? Southgate doesn't have to worry as his contract has been extended regardless:eek:

BTW didn't see all of the 1st 20 minutes as Joe was steering England home with an unbeaten 80 in his 150th ODI-whilst becoming the 4th fastest ever to get to 6000 ODI runs.
we are playing well pal the defensive mids have got it bang on ,total protection of the centre halfs. and when we attack either one of em joins in up the pitch,but we still have cover if we get broke on. having 2 pivots just allows our wing backs to push as high as they want. its working perfectly ,GOALS CONCEEDED a big fat 0

we are playing well pal the defensive mids have got it bang on ,total protection of the centre halfs. and when we attack either one of em joins in up the pitch,but we still have cover if we get broke on. having 2 pivots just allows our wing backs to push as high as they want. its working perfectly ,GOALS CONCEEDED a big fat 0
If only he would get the centre backs overlapping he'd have cracked it:p:p:p

Both Phillips&Rice are obviously doing the job Gareth wants em to do mi owd pal.All players have a mistake in em but up to now Stones has been very good and Hazza has been miles better than Mings was.In the last 2 major tournaments we've reached the semi final of the World Cup and at least the quarter final of these Euro's,not bad for someone who some think is next to useless.UTB

I've got no complaints. We've played as well as we did back in the 66 World Cup in the first 4 games and like then we haven't conceded. What's not to like?

Add to that we've got 2 ex Blade Sheffield lads playing in the team and a current Blade on the bench in addition to another ex Blade in the squad. United must have as many youth player coming through connections as any club in England and that fact gives me enough 'Bladeyness' to hoist the St George and put any doubts about Southgate on the back burner.

I'd love him to prove me wrong, as I said I'm a fickle fecker.
COME ON ENGLAND!

Both Phillips&Rice are obviously doing the job Gareth wants em to do mi owd pal.All players have a mistake in em but up to now Stones has been very good and Hazza has been miles better than Mings was.In the last 2 major tournaments we've reached the semi final of the World Cup and at least the quarter final of these Euro's,not bad for someone who some think is next to useless.UTB
I've got no complaints. We've played as well as we did back in the 66 World Cup in the first 4 games and like then we haven't conceded. What's not to like?

Add to that we've got 2 ex Blade Sheffield lads playing in the team and a current Blade on the bench in addition to another ex Blade in the squad. United must have as many youth player coming through connections as any club in England and that fact gives me enough 'Bladeyness' to hoist the St George and put any doubts about Southgate on the back burner.

I'd love him to prove me wrong, as I said I'm a fickle fecker.
COME ON ENGLAND!

It must be my inner pessimism!

Not unhappy to be progressing.

Just can't shake off the nagging feeling that we are getting away with it as opposed to bossing it. Other teams, to me, just look more comfortable on the ball than we do.

As for Harry doing better than Mings he'd do that on one leg with a broken ankle on the good leg!

It must be my inner pessimism!

Not unhappy to be progressing.

Just can't shake off the nagging feeling that we are getting away with it as opposed to bossing it. Other teams, to me, just look more comfortable on the ball than we do.

As for Harry doing better than Mings he'd do that on one leg with a broken ankle on the good leg!
The east coast sun has mellowed my views TT. Amazing what a change of scenery can do. 😉

Can't get on with playing both Rice and Philips but clean sheets in all games so far plus a fair few before the tournament says something.

Given the choice between Blades going up this season and England winning the Euros I'd take Ukraine winning 25-0 Satdi!

Can't get on with playing j Rice and Philips but clean sheets in all games so far plus a fair few before the tournament says something.

Given the choice between Blades going up this season and England winning the Euros I'd take Ukraine winning 25-0 Satdi!
Blades first every time for me an all pal but I’ve no shame Sean. I’ll jump onto the international bandwagon if it looks like we might do ok. Been doing it for 55 years but then again compared to our lot we’d be talking 93 years. It’s but a blink in time.

Blades first every time for me an all pal but I’ve no shame Sean. I’ll jump onto the international bandwagon if it looks like we might do ok. Been doing it for 55 years but then again compared to our lot we’d be talking 93 years. It’s but a blink in time.

If we don't win summat now we never will.
Ukraine, them a semi and a final at home.
Owt less than a win is frankly pathetic as its fallen for us. All said. Give me Blades first second last and forever!

It feels like it's England's time to win something.

But the achievement of winning this tournament would be minimalised with a big *asterix.

It's a joke tournament. England will have played pretty much every game at Wembley - talk about gift wrapped. Many teams won't have played at home at all. Add to it the lack of fans and proper tournament feel, and it seems more like the Nations League or something. Maybe that low pressure feeling is what England need, too.

I don't really get the issue with England playing most games at home. We played all our games at Wembley in '96. Someone always has to host the tournament, why not us? It's not like we've done it recently; it's been twenty-five years. France have hosted both the World Cup and the Euros in that time.

It feels like it's England's time to win something.

But the achievement of winning this tournament would be minimalised with a big *asterix.

It's a joke tournament. England will have played pretty much every game at Wembley - talk about gift wrapped. Many teams won't have played at home at all. Add to it the lack of fans and proper tournament feel, and it seems more like the Nations League or something. Maybe that low pressure feeling is what England need, too.
It felt more like it in 96 than it does now to me