Euro 2020 thread | Page 32 | Vital Football

Euro 2020 thread

I may have had a pop at a couple of players but the worst performer tonight has been this bloody commentator

Can't stand the bloke. He's obsessed with what's happened in past matches: "remember, England have never won a match against a team in red when there's been some light drizzle before the kick-off". There'll be two types of football fans on Sunday. Those who watch the match on the BBC and those who don't realise it's on the BBC and watch ITV instead.

it was a very soft penalty that made sure of that in the end

Sure, but not as soft as the two free-kicks that led to their goal. Barely a challenge made in either of them. Kane should have had a pen in normal time as well.

I was a teenager at the final. Beer was flat and 2s6d per pint (1s 11d at home).
Would you believe I listened to the 66 final in a hired minivan on our way to a family holiday in Broadstairs? My Dad had to have the same 2 weeks every summer and so I wanted us to watch the match before travelling but Dad was convinced that we could get there in plenty of time.

No chance! The journey was a nightmare mainly because we got caught up in the traffic going to the game north of London. These were pre motorway days, the M1 didn't reach Sheffield until later that same year and so it was a slow trek down a rammed A1. The minivan had no radio so when the game started we tried to listen to it on my transistor radio, but the problem was that every time we went round a bend in the road we lost the signal, and we lost it altogether in extra time so we didn't know that we'd won till we got there. I had a right stroppy teenager sulk for the first few days. I was absolutely gutted thinking that it could be 4, 8 or even 12 years before I might get to see us play in a final again. It seemed like a virtual lifetime to me back then but little did I know eh? I used to think the same way about United winning the cup.

I finally got to see the full game in colour at the ABC cinema a couple of months later. It wasn't much fun to be honest, my mates all giving a running commentary and telling me how they they reacted/celebrated when they watched it live. I think I had another strop!
:taz:

Last edited:
Would you believe I listened to the 66 final in a hired minivan on our way to a family holiday in Broadstairs? My Dad had to have the same 2 weeks every summer and so I wanted us to watch the match before travelling but Dad was convinced that we could get there in plenty of time.

No chance! The journey was a nightmare mainly because we got caught up in the traffic going to the game north of London. These were pre motorway days, the M1 didn't reach Sheffield until later that same year and so it was a slow trek down a rammed A1. The minivan had no radio so when the game started we tried to listen to it on my transistor radio, but the problem was that every time we went round a bend in the road we lost the signal, and we lost it altogether in extra time so we didn't know that we'd won till we got there. I had a right stroppy teenager sulk for the first few days. I was absolutely gutted thinking that it could be 4, 8 or even 12 years before I might get to see us play in a final again. It seemed like a virtual lifetime to me back them but little did I know eh? I used to think the same way about United winning the cup.

I finally got to see the full game in colour at the ABC cinema a couple of months later. It wasn't much fun to be honest, my mates all giving a running commentary and telling me how they they reacted/celebrated when they watched it live. I think I had another strop!
:taz:

Nice memory now though Gray.

My dad gave me the money for the postal order so I could buy a 10 match
'season ticket' for the World Cup. All standing at a cost of £4 4s 0d. Sent off by post with a voucher printed in the Football Monthly (December 65 Issue I think)

4 games in S6, 3 at Villa park and a semi at Goodison then 3/4 place final and final at Wembley. I missed one match at Villa and the Goodison so I could watch England on TV.

Happy days.

The Matterface highlight had to be the bit where he, rather unconvincingly, tried to encourage everybody to not turn up to work in the morning.

It's how he tries to talk to the viewers that's the worst bit, I think.

He's a total berk. He's only got the gig because he's a bit younger and for some reason that automatically means better these days.

'Less is more' is something that definitely applies to football commentary. But they seem to take an approach suggesting the viewers are all ignorant braindeads who need constant stimulation. Always hysterical and over dramatic.

The Matterface highlight had to be the bit where he, rather unconvincingly, tried to encourage everybody to not turn up to work in the morning.

It's how he tries to talk to the viewers that's the worst bit, I think.

He's a total berk. He's only got the gig because he's a bit younger and for some reason that automatically means better these days.

'Less is more' is something that definitely applies to football commentary. But they seem to take an approach suggesting the viewers are all ignorant braindeads who need constant stimulation. Always hysterical and over dramatic.

That's the case with all mainstream media now. It's all been dumbed down to cater for the amoeba like mentality of the bottom feeders whose lives revolve around soaps and shit like love island, goggle box and the fucking Kardashians. I normally mute the commentary. Don't need some utter fucktard to tell me what's going on and I am as interested in anything they think as I am shoving a coil of razor wire up my arse.

I agree with that except for Sterling. I’d have placed him 4th follows by Stones. Walker was outstanding for me.

That's fine that's what forums are for, same on United match days fans see things differently. I thought Sterling made things happen, the pen and the pressure he put on the defender to concede the goal were just examples. It doesn't mean a great deal who was MOM anyway, all that matters is GS picked a team that could win a game of football and he was proved right again.

Well, they drew the game of football, but........ yep, as I said, the subs were always likely to win it in extra time. Though it was indeed Sterling who did more than anyone.

1966 was a good year England win the World Cup and pigs lose FA cup after thinking they'd won it at 2-0 up.
I remember when the oinkers went 2-0 up in that final and i said to mi Dear owd DAD i'm going outside in't yard to kick the hell out of mi football,i was that gutted the gits looked like winning the cup,then DAD shouted Everton have scored so i went back in to watch and when the whistle went DAD and me were jumping abart like nutters.:ROFLMAO: UTB

The FA is charged after a laser was shone at Schmeical in the penalty taking.
Also charged for fans disrespecting and "causing a disturbance" during the Danish anthem pre ko and for the letting off of flares.

Have these stnuc all got fucking Alzheimers? Have not one of the mongs been to ANY normal league game in any of the fucking EU nations?
Jesus. H. Christ. UEFA is run by the same bunch of stnuc that run that abortion called the EU. Thank fuck we're shot of the shitstnuc.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57763001

The FA is charged after a laser was shone at Schmeical in the penalty taking.
Also charged for fans disrespecting and "causing a disturbance" during the Danish anthem pre ko and for the letting off of flares.

Have these stnuc all got fucking Alzheimers? Have not one of the mongs been to ANY normal league game in any of the fucking EU nations?
Jesus. H. Christ. UEFA is run by the same bunch of stnuc that run that abortion called the EU. Thank fuck we're shot of the shitstnuc.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57763001
Either way, the moron who shone the laser should have an industrial strength one shone at his gonads. What an absolute cock!

To be fair, if England want to set the snowflaking standard by kneeling on the grass for no reason it's only fair that booing the opponents' anthem is seen as reprehensible and worthy of punishment. I mean, we're trying to be the 'we love everybody no matter what apart from ourselves' nation aren't we? The booing is ever so unrepresentative of our wonderful new values....

Punishment for fans booing a national anthem is an absolute joke. It's happened since we last got to a final, nearly all countries have this 'problem'. Similarly fans setting fireworks off are part of the match day routine all over Europe and it'd be hard to stamp it out completely but shining a laser at players....That's a whole new level of fuckwittery which could end a career and also from England's point of view could cost us a game. If Schmeichel had made a meal of it at the time an feigned injury the game could have been abandoned and EUEFA could have handed the game to Denmark if that was the case. I really hope they catch the plank.

Last edited:
Beer at home.....that's a blast from the past.
When I was young I could get very merry with just a ten bob note in my wallet
but in London in '66 the beer could only ever be described as wet......and over priced.
If it was London beer it was bound to be 3 times recycled P.

Confirmed commentary teams for the final:

BBC: Mowbray:sick::sick: and Jenas:sick::sick:
ITV: Matterface:sick::sick::sick: and Dixon

This is the best we've got apparently!