EU Vaccine dispute | Vital Football

EU Vaccine dispute

Nick Real Deal

Vital Football Legend
I am anti EU but I reserve judgement on this until I know more. The contract with AZ is kind of woolly. I see the EU today have gone strong armed via Northern Ireland, didn't take long did it ? The CEO would not be drawn at a news conference and preferred to celebrate the EU passing the vaccine for use in the block.

Will be interesting to see if they actually placed any orders for the vaccine before they authorised its use or not until it was authoirised.

If the former, then no wonder they are behind on Vaccinations and if the latter maybe you cannot blame AZ for focussing on actual orders such as the UK who authorised its use much earlier than the EU.

Either way what they are doing seems underhand.

Will be interesting to see if they actually placed any orders for the vaccine before they authorised its use or not until it was authoirised.

If the former, then no wonder they are behind on Vaccinations and if the latter maybe you cannot blame AZ for focussing on actual orders such as the UK who authorised its use much earlier than the EU.

Either way what they are doing seems underhand.

I might be wrong but I thought the order was for 300 mil. Also the CEO for AZ twice reiterated it was a non profit effort.

Understand so that says to me AZ were working to committed orders (e,g UK) rather than perceived orders (EU?) and were hence getting their costs covered by the committed orders if that makes sense.

Why produce and develop stcok piles in case the EU decided to want them ..what if the EU never authorised clearance of that vaccine for their member states for example.

In the contract between AZ and the EU I understand the agreement was that AZ would make all reasonable efforts to meet the target. But two EU factories have hit production problems meaning a 60 % reduction could result at first. The EU implied that AZ should take a % of UK produced or targeted vaccines and make up the shortfall.
The EU then invoked article 16 to potentially allow EU vaccine producers to withhold UK supplies.
The EU have since rumoured to have backtracked citing an error which should not have been announced.

It is what I stated they obviously did not have contractual agreements to recieve the vaccine and so have now backtracked completely because AZ and others must be allowed by law to meet legal contractual agreements. They were opening up a bag of worms but have caved in quite rightly! They showed their true colours ...