EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 706 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

As you brought up exchange rates I looked up the rates for Dec 2015, shortly before our national own goal.
1.52 to the Dollar
1.35 to theEuro
Embarrassed?
Or do you think lower is better?

As you brought up exchange rates I looked up the rates for Dec 2015, shortly before our national own goal.
1.52 to the Dollar
1.35 to theEuro
Embarrassed?
Lol 😂
I only bought it up because your lot predicted Armageddon.
Fishing, as everything else will sort itself out in time.
The fishing industry down my way is doing just fine.
The only victims, it appears, are the wholesalers who swept up all the products for export.
Apparently, there was no market in the U.K..
We went to Appledore last Thursday and the queue was pretty long, to buy directly.
£12 for two kilos of local mussels is good value.

1.52 to the Dollar
1.35 to theEuro
Embarrassed?

FE markets all about uncertainty and confidence while the Brexit wreckers were creating their obstacles. Rates have been a lot lower (which is not all negative as makes our exports more competitive) but now heading back in the direction of those 2015 rates.

Lol 😂
I only bought it up because your lot predicted Armageddon.
Fishing, as everything else will sort itself out in time.
The fishing industry down my way is doing just fine.
The only victims, it appears, are the wholesalers who swept up all the products for export.
Apparently, there was no market in the U.K..
We went to Appledore last Thursday and the queue was pretty long, to buy directly.
£12 for two kilos of local mussels is good value.
I haven't bothered reading beyond your first sentence and the "your lot - Armageddon"

My point is that two of you on this board are constantly dragging up the issue in a patently obvious attempt to try to justify the result. Remainers were criticised for not accepting the result. Well we've shut up about it and are hoping for the best. You two keep dragging it up. I could easily mention loads of problems but it is pointless. We are where we are and need to move on.

Your constant attempts at point scoring smack of insecurity. It does make me smile though and in these grim times perhaps I should be grateful.

I haven't bothered reading beyond your first sentence and the "your lot - Armageddon"
My point is that two of you on this board are constantly dragging up the issue in a patently obvious attempt to try to justify the result. Remainers were criticised for not accepting the result. Well we've shut up about it and are hoping for the best.

HaHa. I suggest you go back to Rotherhithe's post number 13980 on 7th February which was the first "on subject" post since 16th January - a three week gap.

It reads "Afraid the sad consequences are going to be with us for ever"

That is just an example and it may not be you 58, but it is always a remainer that restarts the debate by presenting (at best) their prediction or (at worst) bullshit, as fact. All we do is point that out in response, and say why.

As Shotshy rightly points out, this transition period should be the time when problems occur but very few have, and there have even been some unexpected positives like the local sales of fish direct to the customer, cutting out wholesalers who have previously spirited stocks straight to Europe.

Last edited:

My point is that two of you on this board are constantly dragging up the issue in a patently obvious attempt to try to justify the result. Remainers were criticised for not accepting the result. Well we've shut up about it and are hoping for the best. You two keep dragging it up. I could easily mention loads of problems but it is pointless. We are where we are and need to move on.

Your constant attempts at point scoring smack of insecurity. It does make me smile though and in these grim times perhaps I should be grateful.

The reason that I put- your lot- Armageddon is because that is precisely what your lot were predicting.
Going all the way back to pre referendum days, those opposed to leaving the Eu have predicted nothing but doom and gloom for this country.
It’s an inconvenient truth but the truth nonetheless.
Even our old resident expert WayneKerr took great pleasure in stating that we would be on par with Somalia.

It would be gracious if hard core remainers (not you 58) could no just come clean and publicly admit that they were wrong, pretty much about everything to do with Brexit.
From the result to the outcome.

Still stand by my comment "Afraid the sad consequences are going to be with us for ever" because unfortunately it's true.

If the best you can come up with is that local fisherman are now selling their catch to local people it's a little bit sad. If it's such a good transaction, why were they not doing it before, and I do wonder how long it will last for until the novelty wears off?

The best pro-leave argument for the last 2 months is surely the vaccine rollout? Someone on this forum (he has "gills" in his username, plus a number) predicted that efficient Germany would overtake UK in vaccination numbers within 3 weeks!

Last edited:
If the best you can come up with is that local fisherman are now selling their catch to local people it's a little bit sad.

It is only a small green shoot. I don't think Shotshy is saying otherwise but I find it much sadder that automatic export and import of similar goods has never been questioned before, and the public have mainly been oblivious to it.

Awareness of the previous madness is growing. In this case, the customs problems being faced by the Wholesale fish exporters has shown that the UK public has not had proper access to its own produce before it disappears on yet another articulated lorry headed for Dover, passing another lorry with food products from the EU spewing out its diesel fumes.

As for "the best you can come up with", it is strange how the fishing industry seems to grow and shrink in importance, depending on how remainers wish to use it.

When a free trade deal looked liked falling through, their agenda was the fact that our fishing industry only accounts for 0.1% of the economy. Hence, not important and we should make concessions rather than risk losing the deal.

When a deal was reached with some mainly time related concessions, we had apparently shamefully sold our fishing industry down the river (pun intended). Suddenly important again.

The green shoots of an industry switching back towards domestic self sufficiency is apparently and suddenly of little importance again.:slap:

The best pro-leave argument for the last 2 months is surely the vaccine rollout? Someone on this forum (he has "gills" in his username, plus a number) predicted that efficient Germany would overtake UK in vaccination numbers within 3 weeks!

No doubt that would have been true, knowing the efficient way the Germans normally work. Unfortunately for them, their actions are still tied by 26 other rubber stamps that are more like lead weights.

UK vaccine programme great but lay off the crowing. They will catch up and other stories will come into play. It's not like WW2, we can't ride this one forever. It wasn't a brexit success, not everything revolves around that. I fancy the real brexit successes and failures haven't even been dreamt of yet.

1.52 to the Dollar
1.35 to theEuro
Embarrassed?

Is £1 = $1.52 actually better than £1 = $1.40 in your mind then?

1.52 to the Dollar
1.35 to theEuro
Embarrassed?
Heaven forbid anyone would exaggerate to make their point....:innocent:

How about 19th Feb 2016, the day before Cameron announced the Referendum ?
GBP/USD ~ 1.44
GBP/EUR ~ 1.30

As for "own goal" .....
Is that a good analogy for regaining independence ?

All this is irrelevant Liz Truss will crack an astounding free trade deal with the US, the GBP will only be used in NI and the rest of us will be using The US dollar.

HaHa. I suggest you go back to Rotherhithe's post number 13980 on 7th February which was the first "on subject" post since 16th January - a three week gap.

It reads "Afraid the sad consequences are going to be with us for ever"

That is just an example and it may not be you 58, but it is always a remainer that restarts the debate by presenting (at best) their prediction or (at worst) bullshit, as fact. All we do is point that out in response, and say why.

As Shotshy rightly points out, this transition period should be the time when problems occur but very few have, and there have even been some unexpected positives like the local sales of fish direct to the customer, cutting out wholesalers who have previously spirited stocks straight to Europe.

Yawn. Couldn't be bothered to get past the first line. You and Shotshy are obsessed.

The reason that I put- your lot- Armageddon is because that is precisely what your lot were predicting.
Going all the way back to pre referendum days, those opposed to leaving the Eu have predicted nothing but doom and gloom for this country.
It’s an inconvenient truth but the truth nonetheless.
Even our old resident expert WayneKerr took great pleasure in stating that we would be on par with Somalia.

It would be gracious if hard core remainers (not you 58) could no just come clean and publicly admit that they were wrong, pretty much about everything to do with Brexit.
From the result to the outcome.
Who on this board was "hard line" and "wrong" compared to how "wrong" Leavers have been?

Rhetorical question. Don't bother answering.