EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 660 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

Why do so may people concerned about the cost of housing decline to mention the number of people entering the country and adding to demand for housing ?

To be fair Tarian if immigrants are considering mortgages and buying houses that sounds like they are in employment and contributing to the UK through the NI/Tax system.

Sounds like they are net contributors to the UK rather than the spongers Farage and his like portray them as.

In time for Christmas....
A new batch of Euro Fudge may be on the way !

The EU / UK might be about to agree "provisionally" to a deal.

Lots of bluster (maybe from both sides) to make it crystal clear that neither has given in to their red lines....
Each reserves the right to get mightily miffed with the other ....

...but meanwhile business can carry on as usual - while negotiations carry on - and on - and on - and on.
All the while reminding us that "no one has given in".

Then, due to the passage of time, with the earth not caving in, the EU's precious Single Market not collapsing due to dodgy imports via N.I, border posts not appearing at the Irish border...

...temperatures fall, the years go by and the next generation wonders what all the fuss was about.

You heard it here first ! (maybe...);)

p.s. And the arrangement bears a remarkable similarity to the provisions of WTO Article 24.

But there have been lots of tests and dry runs where lorries have been intentionally delayed so I am pretty confident that we have all bases covered providing business leaders undertake the planning they are paid for.

I hope your confidence is well founded for the sake of those who rely on medicines (about three quarters of which come through the EU - according to the government).

As I keep saying only time will tell.

Although as various Grayling cock ups highlighted I may not be quite as sure that we have done the planning over the years we have had to prepare.

As I said previously the place I work isn't directly impacted Brexit that much, but we have various working groups looking at it. The latest alert or worry point is that "bandwidth" at the big container ports is now a worry and the processing of containers through the ports is being impacted. The old JIT philosophy is going to be tested by those industries that rely on it.

Of course COVID and the run up to Xmas will have a impact here but when you have little spare capacity it doesn't need much to cause problems in the logistics process.

How is Trade being separated from who governs the UK, "cavalier" ?

We are trading nation, we import much of what we need. I care more about getting the food and other essentials that we need to survive than I do about politics and blue passports

Which UK Govt Minister would interrupt the supply of incoming medicines - and why ?????

Only through incompetence e.g. Chris Grayling and the non existent ferries or the PPE contracts that provided unusable PPE

The bottom line Tarian is that I am less confident than you in the competence of this government or indeed if it was a labour government.

Our nation was tied into the EU trading rules and procedures. We are a few weeks away from the end of that transition period and I am not confident that there won't be serious disruption. The UK population panics at the slightest hint of a problem e.g. bog roll and COVID. The supermarket shelves were empty of basic food products back in March due to stupid people panic buying. I guess I am expecting the same only on a bigger scale with the industry less able to restock IF there is disruption at the ports.

Whilst Europe argues with itself I notice that, during the past few weeks and months, there have been huge acquisitions of logistical and storage capacity in England, Ireland (inc N/Ireland) and coastal European nations. The massive (US owned) Americold company has been steadily buying up vast cold storage facilities and also, a few weeks back, bought out the global entity Agro Merchants Group - which has a huge temperature controlled facilities, including some in NW England.

Didn`t someone quite well know once say: "Defer no time, delays have dangerous ends."

Last edited:
To be fair Tarian if immigrants are considering mortgages and buying houses that sounds like they are in employment and contributing to the UK through the NI/Tax system.

Sounds like they are net contributors to the UK rather than the spongers Farage and his like portray them as.
Oh dear.... you shouldn't have brought up that old theme ....;)

[And given the unnecessary personal aside....
Please provide an example of Farage portraying immigrants generally as "spongers". Thank you.
]

1) How does "immigrants considering mortgages and buying houses" affect the price of housing ?
Surely, absent the building of new houses (as fast as the immigrants arrive) the extra demand pushes up house prices ?

Fact : From 1993 to 2018
- RPI doubled. (see ONS)
- House prices (Outer London) up 5 times
(Obviously other regions rose more or less)

So House prices rose roughly 2 1/2 times the rate of inflation.
If that wasn't from the extra demand from more people - what was it ?

2) "net contributors"
Those claiming a "net benefit" from immigration never show their workings...
...or at least commentators never explore them.
They never show the hugely uneven income distribution between the "richest" immigrants and the poorest.

The top decile (10%) of immigrant earners pay around 1/3rd of tax and N.I.
Extend that to the top 20% - and they pay more more than 1/2. (of what all immigrants pay).
The bottom 30% pay no tax at all - quite legally - because they are on minimum wage (working in fields and hospitality).

So it is entirely possible (probable) that the total Tax and N.I. (paid by all immigrants) might be (say)
£ 2 billion.
- and benefits received (by all immigrants) are £1.9 billion.

But what is the impact (cost) of the extra people ?
On house prices (the biggest cost for the poorest) ?
On public services (used more by the poorest) ?
On transport, on the environment etc, etc ?

So if everything is taken into account it seems likely that mass immigration is net cost to the UK.
(But if immigration had been limited to fewer high earners......)

p.s. a House of Lords report concluded that immigration may have added (IIRC) 0.6% p.a. to GDP - with a margin for error of 0.5%.
But that is not GDP per head - i.e. the benefit to individuals

Strange. We are not in the EU any more and we have not concluded a deal and yet I have not noticed any supply problems.

Maybe slight delays but a bit of forward planning can resolve that.
Unbelieveable. We are still trading under the old rules until 31st Dec. Has it occured to you that's why there haven't been problems?

There may or may not be problems from 1st Jan

Blimey Tarian if we can't agree that Farage likes to demonise immigrants then we aren't going to find any common ground anywhere. I could refer you to multiple billboard UKIP posters with a gurning "good old bloke" Farage standing in front pointing at the hordes coming into to steal our jobs and benefits but to be honest what would be the point.

I've enjoyed the discussion with you but i'm not sure we are ever going to find agreement.

Time to take my place on the sofa and get the Gills on TV - actually that is something we could probably agree on.

Blimey Tarian if we can't agree that Farage likes to demonise immigrants then we aren't going to find any common ground anywhere. I could refer you to multiple billboard UKIP posters with a gurning "good old bloke" Farage standing in front pointing at the hordes coming into to steal our jobs and benefits but to be honest what would be the point.

I've enjoyed the discussion with you but i'm not sure we are ever going to find agreement.

Time to take my place on the sofa and get the Gills on TV - actually that is something we could probably agree on.
I gave up on Tarian long ago. It's pointless, believe me. Even Buddha gave up and he loves to debate with virtually anyone.

GBN - either you are the world greatest optimist or ......

The rest of you: lf you are half indigent, why even bother reading Tarian's posts?

markinkent .. you can be a piss taking ...... and I'm not falling for that :Fingers:

More importantly, I think I will take the 1-1, BUT if Oliver had taken the chance when he beat the off side, it would have been game over.

GBN - either you are the world greatest optimist or ......

More importantly, I think I will take the 1-1, BUT if Oliver had taken the chance when he beat the off side, it would have been game over.

Not sure optimism is required but I look on the positive side as far as my nation is concerned, and do not see any reason to run it down even with Bozza in charge.

I was watching a 1985 documentary yesterday which mentioned the nuclear war warning banners "Survive and Protect" of the time. Puts things in perspective a bit.

Don't see any reason whatsoever to be negative about the long term, although I have always acknowledged that we and the EU will need to adapt in the short term. Things change, jobs will be lost and new ones in different fields created but that happens all the time for all sorts of reasons. All those Gatwick jobs lost this year had nothing to do with Brexit, for example.

As regards the game, overall I am happy with the point. The spotters had their chances as well and it brings to an end their 6 match winning run.

Last edited:
But Trashbat, we all know the BBC is run by Remoaners and is biased, so it's fake news and part of Project Fear.

On a serious note I would expect problems at the start. Pro Brexiteers will say short term disruption will be worth it for long term gains. I really hope they are right.

What a shame that we have such an inept government at such a crucial time.

The last two links are exactly why the government have the Internal Market Bill as a belt and braces, should the Eu attempt to block NI businesses from bringing in supplies.
I don’t think that they will, bit it’s an insurance should they choose to.
They thought that they had the upper hand but an independent country can literally do what it wants.
It may well piss a lot of people off, but that’s our choice, not their’s.

It looks as if we are going to roll over the Canada-EU trade deal, which is good news. Let's hope we conclude rolling over the rest of the EU deals. Once we get an agreement with the EU, we can all get on with our lives as if nothing of significance has actually changed

The EU negotiators are renowned for taking talks down to the wire, and it is what is going on this time. Everyone seems to want a deal, but there are not only 27 countries to approve the deal, but in some cases they to get the agreements of some regions as well. With Canadian deal the ratification was held up by the Walloons in Belgium over one item, i believe it was about cheese though I am not sure. It will only take something like that to happen this time for it all to go belly up.

I read today that this deal does not need all the states to sign on, and that an EU level agreement is possible. If that is so, why it is so I have not a clue. I also read that translating it into everyone's languages (ie French) in time may also pose a problem).

The last two links are exactly why the government have the Internal Market Bill as a belt and braces, should the Eu attempt to block NI businesses from bringing in supplies.
It may well piss a lot of people off, but that’s our choice, not their’s.

Yes. These cases could not make the reason for the Internal Market Bill any clearer.

Northern Ireland is now only part of one union and that is with mainland Britain. It is no longer part of the EU so it would be ludicrous to create a border or have checks within its own union for the sake of an outside union to which it does not belong.