EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 203 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

The' left-leaning' CBI warns that a No-deal [VG's favourite] could well lead an 8% shrinkage of the UK's GDP and the knock-on effect of that along with reduced tax revenues could be catastrophic. I guess GBN would prefer the words of Brexiteers who think jumping to WTO terms will be falling off a log/cliff.

May's deal is shite and is not the only deal; it's the only deal if we're bound by her ridiculous red lines. Postpone Article 50 and negotiate a proper deal.

Apart from the backstop which ‘should never happen’ what exactly is so bad about this deal that only allows a smooth exit during the transition to an actual trade deal?

The EU faces real problems , which will be illustrated in May when elections are held.
Populist parties will transform the situation.

Gillsbluenose, you haven’t really being following events have you. Firstly, the EU made it quite clear that they wouldn’t discuss a trade deal until we had agreed the terms of the divorce settlement and until we had actually left. So your proposition that we should have negotiated a trade deal as soon as we triggered Article 50 is patent nonsense.

Also there is nothing stopping us discussing (not signing) future trade deals with other countries. Although the ‘ex head of eu trade negotions and head of the wto’ told the commons Brexit committeee that other non eu countries will not do anything until they know the deal between the uk and eu.

Gillsbluenose, you haven’t really being following events have you. Firstly, the EU made it quite clear that they wouldn’t discuss a trade deal until we had agreed the terms of the divorce settlement and until we had actually left. So your proposition that we should have negotiated a trade deal as soon as we triggered Article 50 is patent nonsense.

No it isn't really, is it? You have hit the nail on the head. As ever, the obstacle has been placed by who? The EU. Surprise, Surprise.

Jerryattrick's comment "Apart from the backstop which ‘should never happen’ what exactly is so bad about this deal that only allows a smooth exit during the transition to an actual trade deal? " Well, Einstein, if the EU say the Backstop will not be a problem once an EU trade deal is signed BUT the UK will be stuck like a Hostage in the Customs Union for ever in the event that a fair trade deal can not be agreed, who does that give all the advantage to when negotiating that EU Trade Deal?

Try and work that one out but pardon me if I do not hold my breath while you do so.

What do you mean by this term?

Trading free of tariffs for mutual benefit. There is no point going over old ground about the Import/Export imbalance between the UK and EU as we will never agree but, purely on monetary grounds, tit for tat tariffs suit nobody but the respective Exchequers/Treasuries/Protectionists.

Last edited:
Oh hang on - we’re already in a free trade deal. Is GBN arguing for Remain?

I think you can keep that sort of free trade deal with the ball and chain of open door immigration, legal submission and pocket picking. That price is what euro scepticism and ultimately Brexit is all about but the EU do not get it.

Last edited:
Trading free of tariffs for mutual benefit. There is no point going over old ground about the Import/Export imbalance between the UK and EU as we will never agree but, purely on monetary grounds, tit for tat tariffs suit nobody but the respective Exchequers/Treasuries/Protectionists.
I guess you've forgotten, because the EU is so nasty to us, but the EU offered us a free trade agreement, eg Canada+ type deal, which May rejected because of her red lines, as set out in the Chequers plan, which would have also solved immediately the Irish border issue.
I think you can keep that sort of free trade deal with the ball and chain of open door immigration, legal submission and pocket picking. That price is what euro scepticism and ultimately Brexit is all about but the EU do not get it.
As offered by both Tusk and Barnier but, as I wrote above, rejected by May.

You're not keeping up are you?

Gillsbluenose, I'll take this in simple steps for your benefit.
1. The EU regard the single market as the 'Jewel in the crown'.
2. We say we want to leave the single market & customs union.
3. Leavers said we could have exactly the same benefits as being a member.
4. What club would allow you to give up membership but retain all the benefits of membership ?
5. The EU is governed by a range of treaties.
6. We agreed with and were signatories to all of these treaties.
7. The EU has stuck to the terms of the treaties at each stage of the process.
8. Brexiteers (eg you) outraged that the EU will not break it's own treaties to satisfy member who is leaving.

Which bit of this don’t you get ?

The EU faces real problems , which will be illustrated in May when elections are held.
Populist parties will transform the situation.
I think you are on the wrong thread; go and play with your mates in the FLA, which is one of the oddest groups in existence. 'Against all Extremism' and yet the FLA is a far-right extremist group; or go and join Nick Griffin in Hungary.

I think you are on the wrong thread; go and play with your mates in the FLA, which is one of the oddest groups in existence. 'Against all Extremism' and yet the FLA is a far-right extremist group; or go and join Nick Griffin in Hungary.

Who wants to remain in an EU that is falling to bits ?