EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 201 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

Ford cutting jobs across Europe but probably fewer in UK and Jaguar hit hard by China downturn. All this is without any Brexit effect; that's still to come.

Both Ford and Jaguar have cautioned against a no-deal, which would give rise to tariffs on imports.

Last edited:
Ford cutting jobs across Europe but probably fewer in UK and Jaguar hit hard by China downturn. All this is without any Brexit effect; that's still to come.

Both Ford and Jaguar have cautioned against a no-deal, which would give rise to tariffs on imports.

I think the collapse in the diesel market hasn't helped. Nice to see Ford investing in a new centre in Essex.

So May's deal goes down. Then what? She won't walk, besides what would that solve?

The Commons won't miraculously come to an agreement around anything besides a request to the EU to extend the talking time. Let's assume the rest say yes, because they need us so much (see what I did there?)

Then what? An election? On what platforms will the parties stand? The big two will stand on fudges designed to keep their parties together and to hang on to as much of their vote as possible. That is, let's take it back to the people.The Lib Dems will come out full blast and lose.

Maybe the EU should just put us out of our misery. After all, May's my deal or no deal is actually the EU's deal or no deal, and whatever problems the EU faces, worrying that others will be tempted to follow the trail blazed by us is not one of them.

When Parliament is dissolved, ahead of a General Election, there are no MPs to sit, stand or run. So if it's more than a rumour, you're correct.
Did not Theresa May and Vince Cable say they would not fight another general election?
If what you and LSB2 are true the next few weeks will be a mass of party leadership elections.
i do think that a general election is certainly needed but I can't see how the Tories can unite under one campaign which will surely be needed .Without that why call a election unless they really are forced into it .At the moment I want a election but can't see the Tories wanting one in any circumstances.

Not sure Corbyn wants one either. The Tories' embarrassments are in the H of C and clear for all to see. His are in the party membership and voters.

Jaguar Land Rover has set up plants in Slovakia and Austria as well as China, which doesn't help the west Midlands-based suppliers. Now the Japanese Prime Minister is urging avoiding a no-deal scenario.

All it needs is for one of the Japan car makers to consider leaving the UK and we're fucked; so, we need to need to care about what he says.

How so? Their profits go back to Japan so the only effect is to put more workers on a job market that is currently so desperately in need that we just HAVE to have migrant workers.

Now the Japanese Prime Minister is urging avoiding a no-deal scenario.

...and I am sure that Japan just rolled over to all the EU demands and intransigence in their desperation for their recent trade deal.

I expect the EU powerhouse gave them a like it or lump it ultimatum that they had to accept because no deal would have meant armageddon for Japan.:rofl:

Maybe the EU should just put us out of our misery. After all, May's my deal or no deal is actually the EU's deal or no deal, and whatever problems the EU faces, worrying that others will be tempted to follow the trail blazed by us is not one of them.

Agreed. Would be typical of the arrogance and complacency that will eventually choke them. Ignore the unrest that has caused Merkel and Macron their national problems.

How so? Their profits go back to Japan so the only effect is to put more workers on a job market that is currently so desperately in need that we just HAVE to have migrant workers.

GBN, I’m trying to work out whether you are:
- on a wind up; and/or
- stupid; and/or
- a complete moron.

I’m giving you the benefit of doubt for now.

In answer to your question: “How so?”:

Here’re some starters for 10:
- lost jobs for UK citizens
- lost PAYE/NI receipts for the exchequer
- lost corporation tax receipts for the exchequer
- lost contracts for local UK owned 3rd party outsourced vendors
- lost skills in UK workforce

Furthermore, the impact will be highly localised rather than being evenly spread over the UK - which will exacerbate the problem just like we saw with the closure of coal mines:

- localised fall in house prices potentially causing people fall in to negative equity
- less likelihood of people being able to find alternative employment unless they are prepared to relocate - breaking up communities
- increase in public sector borrowing as the government might intervene to retrain

...and I am sure that Japan just rolled over to all the EU demands and intransigence in their desperation for their recent trade deal.

I expect the EU powerhouse gave them a like it or lump it ultimatum that they had to accept because no deal would have meant armageddon for Japan.:rofl:
Like Trashbat, I truly believe you have lost it. Why on earth would a powerful nation accede to the EU's demands. Bonkers!

Never mind all those car workers could get a job fruit picking or in Amazon warehouses or whatever. For someone with supposed left wing sympathies GBN has a very dismissive attitude to other people's jobs. Destroy industry so there enough unemployed to take the unskilled jobs migrants do- brilliant.

That's why it took years to negotiate. You voted Leave on a premise, which is flawed, and now you're talking about armageddon for Japan. Bonkers!