EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 155 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

What's happened to her No Deal is better than a bad deal (the case she is now pursuing)?

She's a politician... She's always wanted to stay in the EU, and now she will have her way. Parliament voted 6-1 in favour on honouring the referendum, and the two major parties at the last election were for Leave. She's managed to get both parties against Leaving, and left some people wondering what the point of voting in the future!

I see no way out except for a general election, a Labour victory, Jeremy to be usurped and the new labour leader to stand on a pledge of remaining in the EU.
Corbyn is such a dedicated leaver that he could not lead Labour if their members wished to go down a different track.

Of course, there is a third way that has not been spoken about yet.
Revoke Art.50 and remain in the EU.

Then put up dozens of anti EU candidates for the upcoming European Parliament elections and f*ck them up from the inside.
Veto, delay and oppose every single bit of legislation.
It wouldn't matter as WayneKerr says that it has no impact on our lives anyway.
They'll be begging us to leave within a year.

The weird contradiction is that some simple minded deluded fools say that the EU has no impact on our lives then go on to tell us how we cannot live without it.
The fact that it is so difficult to get out of shows the real impact and power of the European Union over our daily lives.
I think that we should vote against the President of the Commission next time we get the chance... oh! hang on !
We already know that Manfred Weber will be elected under Spitzencandidat. So much for democracy EU style.

The fact that it is so difficult to get out of shows the real impact and power of the European Union over our daily lives.
They didn't choose to leave the UK; it was the other way round and the EU doesn't want to break its rules to suit one member state - nothing to do with power but sticking to their guns. The EU's power will come when little old England sets about trying to establish close on 100 new trade deals or fall prey to the worst that WTO can offer.

If MPs vote for the deal then we will have left the EU, this will be followed by the transition period for agreeing the future arrangement.

The only sticking point is around something that should never happen - the backstop. All parliament has to do is send it back to the EU to agree better wording/agreement on the backstop and it will pass.

Only thing to hold it up will be political posturing plus the lying of the ‘2nd referendum group’ and the ‘brexit at any cost group’.

“All parliament has to do is send it back to the EU to agree better wording/agreement on the backstop”. The biggest part of the agreement was getting something agreed on the backstop. The backstop is what all the disagreement in parliament is all about. It’s hardly capable of a simple fix.

With the full willpower of parliament it can be sorted out as it is not something that is intended to ever happen.

The real problem is that all of the players have their own selfish aims which have nothing to do with the brexit process.

No one has yet come up with an acceptable plan that doesn’t involve regulatory alignment that would avoid the need for a hard border in Ireland. Unless the final agreement involves the UK agreeing to full regulatory alignment with the EU that position could last forever. One of the ‘selfish aims’ of the EU is to stick up for one of its members. Eire. None of the other solutions (Norway, Norway Plus, Canada Plus Plus Plus etc) solve the Irish border problem because none of them involve full regulatory alignment. It’s all well and good to say the backstop is never meant to come into play but finding a scenario in which it won’t is back in pink unicorn territory. That’s because you only don’t need the hard border if the final agreement provides for frictionless trade between the EU and the UK. Even Theresa May has talked about trade in the final deal being “as frictionless as possible”. If that were the case we are still waiting for mythical new technology to come to the rescue.

Are you one of the "liars" that Jerryattrick refers to Waldo? I think I'm one of them. I'd like to know when I've lied so I can apologise and correct myself.

Oh, and I'm selfish for thinking we'd be better off staying in the EU. Well, wanting everyone, on average, to be better off is selfish I suppose as myself and family will benefit imo. I plead guilty to that one.

Someone said to me last night that that the mistake was the referendum itself. He is a barrister and didn't give any indication of his views but simply remarked that you should never ask a question you don't know the answer to. We were in the Tavern at Lords and matters soon turned to cricket mainly because no-one had really heard of GFC

Gills58, I’ve no idea. The problem is that logic and facts have sometimes been no match for sentiment and gut feeling. That’s sad because if we can’t rely on facts and evidence we are indeed doomed.

The real problem is that Brexit is something that cannot be delivered without breaking up the union
The Irish (and Scottish if need be question)should have been worked on before article 50 was signed .That was always going to be the biggest sticking point.If brexit does break up the union then that should have been agreed before the whole thing was triggered.

And possibly starting the break up of the EU. There's a great deal at stake across the Channel too.
Don't start with all that fake news jokerman.
There have been no riots in Athens and Paris.
All member states are in full agreement about immigration.
Macron is actually the god Jupiter.
Merkel is still really in charge.
Everything is just tickerty boo in the Utopian paradise of Europe.

Someone said to me last night that that the mistake was the referendum itself. He is a barrister and didn't give any indication of his views but simply remarked that you should never ask a question you don't know the answer to. We were in the Tavern at Lords and matters soon turned to cricket mainly because no-one had really heard of GFC
Totally agree with the barrister.The referendum was a daft idea .Given the government and opposition were against it .Both believe it is bad for the country. Brexit was won by leave because they said they wanted to bring back power to Westminster. Their first major act will probably be to act in a way they feel is wrong and bad for the country. What sort of power is that?

The problem back in 2016 Wayne was that they thought that they did know the answer to it.
They had just scared the Scots s*itless with a barrage of Project Fear and wrongly assumed that the English suckers would fall for the same bulls*it.
Even now, there is very little positive stories coming out about why we should remain, if given another vote.
Just the same old stuff about the end of the world should we once again vote to leave.
You would think that after 40+ years of membership they could find a few positive stories to write about.
You know, some specifics.
It's great to be a member of the EU because …..

It's a tough gig because many who were totally disinterested before have woken up.