EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 709 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

Update !!!!
There are no Leavers and there are no Remainers.

It’s finished, at least for a generation.

Maybe it will be bad, maybe it will be good.

Every tiny change means nothing.

Only the long term will prove either way.

For all those who would prefer to live in an EU country, start campaigning or alternatively, go and live in one.

All true statements bar one in my view. There are still plenty of remainers. We accept we lost and we accept that we left . It doesn't mean that we will have changed our views on that outcome. The country was split by the decision and that fracture hasn't been fixed. That's the biggest short term damage. It may fix over time or it may not.

The truest statement is that only long term will prove it either way.

The mention of 2 year work visas is what is relevant here. Visas and work permits will now be the order of the day rather than having no choice but to allow unlimited free movement of workers from 27 nations, with no control of time or settlement.

We can now turn the tap on and off, to prevent overheating of the domestic labour market. Exactly what was required.

The unemployment caused by Covid has brought that in to sharp focus. UK workers should have a better chance of being considered for UK vacancies before visas are granted to an overseas alternative.

Last edited:
The mention of 2 year work visas is what is relevant here. Visas and work permits will now be the order of the day rather than having no choice but to allow unlimited free movement of workers from 27 nations, with no control of time or settlement.

We can now turn the tap on and off, to prevent overheating of the domestic labour market. Exactly what was required.

The unemployment caused by Covid has brought that in to sharp focus. UK workers should have a better chance of being considered for UK vacancies before visas are granted to an overseas alternative.

Missing the real situation. This has nothing to do with visas instead if unlimited eu labour. That is just the con sold to the populace.

The only thing changing is that even more jobs for uk workers will go. Its just an extension of the current situation - even less vacancies and even less training.
Exactly what is the difference as to whether a persons job goes to india, Indonesia or the eu? What exactly are we getting out of this deal with india in reality.

What exactly are we getting out of this deal with india in reality.

That is a relevant point but however incompetent you think the government is, do you seriously think that ministers and high ranking civil servants would sit down and agree a treaty that is only beneficial for one side and in one direction?

Domestic unemployment is not good for anyone, and payment of benefits, plus provision of housing, are a drain on government funds.

The health of the economy is all a balancing act, but the more control a government has over it the better, and that also means that we can make them more accountable for their decisions.

As others have said, time will tell but now we have no Wayne, I suspect that none of us will read every clause in the whole agreement, let alone understand the minutea.

That is a relevant point but however incompetent you think the government is, do you seriously think that ministers and high ranking civil servants would sit down and agree a treaty that is only beneficial for one side and in one direction?

Domestic unemployment is not good for anyone, and payment of benefits, plus provision of housing, are a drain on government funds.

The health of the economy is all a balancing act, but the more control a government has over it the better, and that also means that we can make them more accountable for their decisions.

As others have said, time will tell but now we have no Wayne, I suspect that none of us will read every clause in the whole agreement, let alone understand the minutea.
I accept it is mutually beneficial. The point is that it does not appear to be doing what Brexit said. Might as well still be in the EU if this is what's happening.

There were valid points in Brexit in as much as the free movement of Labour and undercutting of GB workers is concerned. Further, lack of investment and training. However, I never believed Brexit would improve these things. I looked at the major protagonists and assumed it was another rip off of the ordinary worker in the UK.

Incredible that ordinary people believed the likes of Mogg, Farage and Johnson had their best interests at heart. As Jerry implies, we still have the rich and big Corporations helping themselves. The tragedy is that Brexit was sold to people as if it was the EU that was ripping them off.

Same people/companies still in charge of our economy.

Macron extolling the virtues of Napoleon.
French corsairs raiding Jersey.
Heavy (light) units of the Royal Navy heading with all dispatch to Our Islands
Brussels announcing that its entire military establishment has been mobilized and awaits the call from Paris in the Grand Place (well the coffee shop of the Hilton Grand Place)
Johnson issuing orders that there must be no thought of surrender until protracted fighting has taken place in the ruins of St. Helier or at least until after 9 pm tonight, whichever comes sooner

And you talk of banking?

Brussels announcing that its entire military establishment has been mobilized and awaits the call from Paris in the Grand Place (well the coffee shop of the Hilton Grand Place)
Johnson issuing orders that there must be no thought of surrender until protracted fighting has taken place in the ruins of St. Helier or at least until after 9 pm tonight, whichever comes sooner

And you talk of banking?

FB_IMG_1620310735069.jpg

There are elections today, fairly minor ones in England. We have naval action to support the vote. Heaven knows what sort of action will be required for a general election.

Well the French are providing a clue. Their elections are next year, and they're already talking of pulling a Putin on the electrics.

And you talk of banking?

Johnson will still talk of ‘our European friends’ and ‘deep and special relationship’.

Do friends send the Navy in to ‘monitor’ each other? Do friends threaten to turn off the lights?

Truth is the the UK-EU relationship has always been awkward - I guess because of the custom deal the UK had (I’m thinking EMU/Schengan/rebate). That awkwardness has turned in to hostility on both sides since Brexit.

Cut the crap Johnson. There’s no special relationship with our neighbours.

You must be wrong Jerry. Leavers voted for this and knew they were voting for it.

On a different matter I must say I'm surprised at Leavers who are keen to go abroad on holiday so that our economy loses more money when we are in (inevitable) serious problems. I shall be gladly supporting the British tourist industry. I have 2 holidays booked here. Also, I don't want to import Covid mutations from abroad which would further damage our country.

And there was me being accused of lacking patriotism by being a Remainer.

I trust Leavers will be following my example and not be pushing for more economic losses and health risks through foreign holidays.
You must be on a wind up.:fish:
I cannot believe that you still haven't understood the point of Brexit !

We voted for:
- The freedom to make our own Trade deals. India = tick
- The freedom to decide our own immigration policy. India = tick

Personally, I think immigration should be cut to a trickle.....
....but my beef is now with the UK Government.

That said, if Indians can be allowed 2 year work visas....
(and I suspect that the salary requirements will still apply)
....that is a long way short of the unlimited right to settle for EU citizens....
....so surely an improvement ?

As for foreign holidays....
How do you know that the majority of holiday-wannabees are Leavers ???
Have you polled them ?
Given some of the fanatical EU fans I met outside Parliament (on several occasions), I could imagine them desparate to get away from 'nasty', 'nationalist', 'isolationist', 'xenophobic', 'far-right', 'racist' Britain !

:hang:
You must be on a wind up.:fish:
I cannot believe that you still haven't understood the point of Brexit !

We voted for:
- The freedom to make our own Trade deals. India = tick
- The freedom to decide our own immigration policy. India = tick

Personally, I think immigration should be cut to a trickle.....
....but my beef is now with the UK Government.

That said, if Indians can be allowed 2 year work visas....
(and I suspect that the salary requirements will still apply)
....that is a long way short of the unlimited right to settle for EU citizens....
....so surely an improvement ?

As for foreign holidays....
How do you know that the majority of holiday-wannabees are Leavers ???
Have you polled them ?
Given some of the fanatical EU fans I met outside Parliament (on several occasions), I could imagine them desparate to get away from 'nasty', 'nationalist', 'isolationist', 'xenophobic', 'far-right', 'racist' Britain !

and the fact that we are still losing jobs and training seems to pass you by lol.

:hang:

and the fact that we are still losing jobs and training seems to pass you by lol.
"losing jobs" .... due to Covid ??
It will take the rest of this year (maybe longer) to understand / evaluate the biggest job shake-up in since WW2.

As for Training, that was widely supported by Leavers....
...many of whom pointed out the absurdity of importing staff.....
....which increased demand for (and therefore costs of) Housing and public services.

"losing jobs" .... due to Covid ??
It will take the rest of this year (maybe longer) to understand / evaluate the biggest job shake-up in since WW2.

As for Training, that was widely supported by Leavers....
...many of whom pointed out the absurdity of importing staff.....
....which increased demand for (and therefore costs of) Housing and public services.

once again no looking at the point.
Its a continuation of the current situation nothing to do with brexit or remain or covid.
Our skilled jobs have been and still are being exported or filled by 'already trained immigration or visa entrants' limiting the job opportunities and training to uk workers.
If future deals are similar to this india one then the corporates have their way and the people suffer as usual.

once again no looking at the point.
Its a continuation of the current situation nothing to do with brexit or remain or covid.
Our skilled jobs have been and still are being exported or filled by 'already trained immigration or visa entrants' limiting the job opportunities and training to uk workers.
If future deals are similar to this india one then the corporates have their way and the people suffer as usual.

Rishi’s father-in-law will be rubbing his hands.