EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 663 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

If a lorry is stuck behind thousands of others it can be delayed regardless of what it has on board.Kent's road are inadequate without Brexit. In a few weeks we will probably find that those inadequacies come home to roost.It matters not what the prime minister says if the lorries in question are stuck many miles from a port.
How many times has it been written about under 2% of shipments being physically inspected .....less from "safe" countries ??
(Source HMRC at Commons Select Committees.)

Why do you expect the French to stop and inspect all 8,000 lorries coming through Calais daily ?
(I think that's the ball park number)
The boss of Calais Port and the Mayor of Calais have both made it clear that they don't want Calais snarled up.
Their message seemed to be.. "We''ll do the minimum required by Paris / EU "

The Treaty of Toulouse will still apply.

HMRC has declared a grace period (6 mths ?) for truckers without all the correct "paperwork".
Will the EU decline to reciprocate ?

Pre-registration is a already in place. How long does it take to scan a barcode ?

And while waiting for the ferry or train there's plenty of minutes for a longer look at actual paperwork if really necessary.

If pre-registration is combined with ANPR (already installed at Eurotunnel's entrances), when might extra checks be needed ?
(see below)

This from
https://www.britishports.org.uk/system/files/documents/prospects_for_trade_and_britains_maritime_ports.pdf

"Barely 2% of goods coming into the UK from non-EU countries are stopped for customs checks.
Those that are stopped tend to be as a result of intelligence-led investigations or on food safety grounds
."

Which is pretty much what has been posted here several times before.

So you've not read Yellowhammer then Tarian
Yellowhammer contained "scenarios".
"Scenarios" are not "predictions".
And "scenarios" are not worth much without a probability attached.

And what is the probability that 99% of business will carry on as usual versus falling off an imaginary "cliff-edge" ?

Kent County Council periodically reviews its disaster planning.
"What if ...." a plane crashed ?

The probability isn't very high - but that doesn't mean that the Council shouldn't brain-storm a possibility.
That's what Yellowhammer did.

I love enclaves. Have you noticed they're exclaves too?
All enclaves are exclaves but not all exclaves are enclaves -poodles/dog-wise.

http://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2017/enclaves-exclaves/index.html
Canada / USA have some border peculiarities.
Point Roberts (south of Vancouver) being US territory ...because some map-maker didn't draw a peninsular.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_irregularities_of_the_United_States

There's an East/West road in Vermont with US houses on one side and Canadian on the other - and no divider.

Belgium / Netherlands is even more complicated.
Villages where outside some restaurants individual tables are in the other country.
(Not sure what they did about different Covid restrictions.)

I believe Baarle-Hertog may be the most bizarre.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baarle-Hertog

Somehow, people manage to get on with their lives without the need to invent problems ;)

I’m hoping that a consequence is that we start to import a lot less and produce a lot more.
Nederland is the largest exporter of tomatoes to the U.K..
If they can grow them, so can we.

I mentioned previously that Americold (huge US company) has been buying up vast acreage of storage facilities in the UK, and also UK and European logistical groups/hubs. That could mean several things though, to my mind, I wonder whether a) The Free Port enterprise vision that Mr Sunak has championed over the past few years will come to fruition next year. As that measure would, if Rishi is correct, lead to many score thousands of jobs in port areas - in warehousing and manufacturing. b) American imports to the UK, in particular agro , are set to increase significantly - or , perhaps a) and b) combined.

I suspect we`ll be hearing more from Rishi Sunak about the merit of Free Ports sooner rather than later.

Nederland is the largest exporter of tomatoes to the U.K.. If they can grow them, so can we.

But we do. Have you never heard of Thanet Earth in Kent ? Don`t know whether the company is owned by a UK or foreign entity, but it certainly produces huge stocks of tomatoes etc.

Fair points.
Perhaps unwittingly, you may have identified the problem that the "EU" has become.

Isn't the EU supposed to be a "club" with "members" ..which justified whatever membership fee those members decided upon ?

Yet as you wrote:
"whether the EU are prepared...."
"to break up the EU....."

then
"other countries might ask for...."

So the EU has acquired a life of its own.
It is no longer a "club" with "members".
And if the idea that "other countries might ask for" ....
... a bit of independence is a problem for this EU, then perhaps it should be understandable why such a "club" can become less attractive ?

Perhaps if the EU was genuine "club" its Committee might ask itself:
"What flexibility do we need to offer to keep our members happy ?"
(Instead of giving the appearance of threat-making)

I can't resist. The problem is the EU is no longer a trading bloc, it has grown into something bigger. It has desires of European unity, a levelling up of Europe as Boris might say. European soil has been ravaged by war throughout the 20th century and it wants closer union to prevent recurrence.

That of course is exactly the issue many Brexiteers will say. We want a trading bloc not a political union.

Well you can't pick and choose as the EU has evolved into something bigger than a trading bloc.

We don't want any part of that. That's fine we held a democratic vote and my team lost.

Thing is we can't pick the bits we like. We are out. There is no flexibility. If you want the benefits of the club you have to take the increasing political union. If you don't then WTO it is.

Lets crack on with it and deal with what comes our way.

I’m hoping that a consequence is that we start to import a lot less and produce a lot more.
Nederland is the largest exporter of tomatoes to the U.K..
If they can grow them, so can we.

Me too. That opens up the debate of needing low cost European labour to do the work though.

Didn't they just give special visas to allow foreign workers into to ensure enough Turkeys were butchered for Christmas

The UK workforce isn't as ready to stand alone as we might hope.

I do agree that we should try to be more self sufficient though. we are far too reliant on the EU for our imports of Food.

Me too. There is an amazing one in Belgium (or is it Germany) where the railway tracks are in Belgium but either side of the tracks is Germany.

I'd like to FREELY travel to Europe to visit this enclave ............Oh wait. ;-)
Nothing to stop you Mark. Just get on a plane or boat, post covid.
The right to travel will be totally unaffected.

Someone passed on a book to me, which made me sit up & think. It was called "Treason at Maastricht - The destruction of a nation state".
The back cover gave a comparison of Hitler's European ideal & what Europe had achieved by 1994.
It read ( Hitler first) :- European economic community, EEC
Lebensraum, European space
Collective access to basic commodities, common energy, fishing & agricultural policies
European currency system, E.R.M.
Europa bank (Berlin), European central bank (Frankfurt)
European regional principle, committee of the regions
Common labour policy, social chapter
Economic and trading agreements, single market
European industrial economy, common industrial policy
Replacing capital with labour, European works councils.
What else has come into being since 1994, I am not sure, but it seems to me that one country has done remarkably well out of it!

I know they are only small changes, but I will advised to have travel insurance (for health) no EHI, if I drive, an International driving permit for some counties and I will be asked to produce a return travel ticket and show that I have money at some boarders, as well as going through a more rigorous passport controls (and all that could entail).

I know they are only small changes, but I will advised to have travel insurance (for health) no EHI, if I drive, an International driving permit for some counties and I will be asked to produce a return travel ticket and show that I have money at some boarders, as well as going through a more rigorous passport controls (and all that could entail).

I hold EU / UK dual nationality so no probs for me at the border.

RE: health insurance. I guess there will be some people with acute diseases who will struggle to find an insurer to cover them and will either (a) take the risk; (b) avoid foreign travel.

Nothing to stop you Mark. Just get on a plane or boat, post covid.
The right to travel will be totally unaffected.

I know it was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment. Given up on any trips to the Alps or Pyrenees this winter but starting to look like I can plan a trip to Phantasialand in Cologne in the Summer. I'm still a kid inside and that place really is rollercoaster heaven.

They should not travel without adequate insurance. They should never rely on EHI card
Have you ever tried to use one.
I did when I had a place in Malta even though I had travel insurance.
The hospital at Mater Dai didn’t want to know.
They wanted money before you left the building.
Very common in Spain as well.

They should not travel without adequate insurance. They should never rely on EHI card
Have you ever tried to use one.
I did when I had a place in Malta even though I had travel insurance.
The hospital at Mater Dai didn’t want to know.
They wanted money before you left the building.
Very common in Spain as well.
Was the same in France.

EHIC is still valid until the end of the transition period but I agree with you - better to have you own. I like driving through Europe so presumably once "cleared into France" it will be open borders unless they are going to have special customs/immigration booths just for GB registrations - another Brexit bonus if they do ;-)

EHIC might even be valid post 2020 if there is a deal. The Norwegians and Swiss qualify for it - but then they pay into the EU as part of their deal.