EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 662 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

I don't think the intention was ever to ban EU boats from our waters but I have heard UK fishermen claim that they are actually prevented from fishing in some of our territorial waters, and to catch some species, where EU boats can still fish.

If that is true, it proves what a nonsense the current position is, and how ludicrous it is that we have no control over it.

Of course, we have to protect stocks but if anywhere is being overfished it is the foreign boats that should be the first to reduce their catch.
It is currently true under the Common Fisheries Policy.
That ends 1st January for the U.K..
Tick tock. 😉

I voted remain.
I am now starting to think we should just make a clean break on WTO terms.
Next year we can look at discussing a deal that doesn't include fishing, interference in our laws, the EU might then start to see us as a self governing country.

I’m thinking a clean break WTO arrangement would be an economic disaster. But at least it might expedite the path to rejoin the EU.

Really? "When fact checking this statement, it is first of all worth pointing out that if the UK was allowed to catch 20% of the fish that swim in British waters and the EU took the rest, then there would be no fish left in the sea."

WTF? Clearly he meant 20% of the fish caught in British waters so they are just being pedantic.

I would be surprised if UK fisherman were not aware that they will lose fishing rights off EU coastal waters but that is a small price to pay for having control of who fishes in our own waters, particularly as we were stitched up on quotas in 1976 by the loss of the Icelandic fishing rights.

Not sure who that was counter debating.

Seems as if Farage was incorrect in suggesting that 80% of UK fishing quotas are fished by the EU with the actual figure by their calculations being *only* 70% is actually fished.

When arguing the vast majority of fish caught in UK waters are EU fleets then does the difference between 70% and 80% *actually* disprove the argument?

I have a suspicion that the 10% difference is to do with EU companies owning a UK registered fishing fleet where the fish caught is dropped off to EU fishing ports. I did read this was something that was happening and a debate if EU companies owning UK registered fleets were doing so to get around the quotas

Last edited:
Would it be an economic disaster, I did think the same when I voted to remain, now the longer it drags on the more I have changed my mind and want a clean break.
If there was another referendum, I would vote leave.

Changing from remain to leave? I didn't think anybody did that since we have all become better educated and aware of the lies we have been told. :rolleyes:

Guess there are more of us gullible simple types than first imagined.

I think most of us have really realized that no matter what nobody is going to change it now we are stuck with the reality of it.At least now in a few months people will realise how bad this is for Kent more than any other place in the UK.But the shambles has been voted for so let it happen. Just glad that I will not have to deal directly with in in my back yard .I feel for those in Kent who voted to remain and will have to deal with it in a few weeks on top of Covid madness total madness.

I hope your confidence is well founded for the sake of those who rely on medicines (about three quarters of which come through the EU - according to the government)..
I have no quibble with "three-quarters of medicine come through the EU."

But still no-one has answered the obvious question (and I blame media commentators primarily).
Which UK Minister is likely to delay or block incoming medicines - and why ?

Last edited:
I have no quibble with "three-quarters of medicine come through the EU.

But still no-one has answered the obvious question (and I blame media commentators primarily).

Which UK Minister is likely to delay or block incoming medicines - and why ?
If a lorry is stuck behind thousands of others it can be delayed regardless of what it has on board.Kent's road are inadequate without Brexit. In a few weeks we will probably find that those inadequacies come home to roost.It matters not what the prime minister says if the lorries in question are stuck many miles from a port.

Blimey Tarian if we can't agree that Farage likes to demonise immigrants then we aren't going to find any common ground anywhere. I could refer you to multiple billboard UKIP posters with a gurning "good old bloke" Farage standing in front pointing at the hordes coming into to steal our jobs and benefits but to be honest what would be the point..
Now you're pissing me off with unfounded slurs.:mad:
Seriously when has Farage "demonised" immigrants".

Go on.... produce those "billboard UKIP posters" "pointing at hordes coming to steal jobs and benefits."

If you have in mind "Breaking Point", just read ALL of the text.
"The EU has failed us all"
and
"We must break free of the EU and take control of our borders".

Anyone can disagree with each one of those phrases (many have no problem with them)....
..... but where's the "demonising" or "stealing jobs and benefits" ?

The main concern is NUMBERS.....
.....because of the impact on house prices, public services, environment etc, etc.

If you think a population of 80 million, 100 million for these islands is OK, then feel free to make that case.....
...but why condemn those who disagree (and with good reason) ?

I think most of us have really realized that no matter what nobody is going to change it now we are stuck with the reality of it.At least now in a few months people will realise how bad this is for Kent more than any other place in the UK.But the shambles has been voted for so let it happen. Just glad that I will not have to deal directly with in in my back yard .I feel for those in Kent who voted to remain and will have to deal with it in a few weeks on top of Covid madness total madness.

Again, short termism.

Even if what you say proves to be true, it will just change the habits of the supply chain so that if something has to come through the EU, it is ordered earlier and a greater time is allowed for its arrival. Hopefully, it will also encourage domestic suppliers and manufacturers to see opportunities for more products to be sourced from within this country, in competition.

Anything ordered from other parts of the world has always needed that sort of forward planning. Didn't seem to cause any problems in the past, even for products that need a certain freshness like New Zealand Lamb and butter.

It may even reduce the endless number of big lorries that already hammer their way through Kent if other transport methods and sources are investigated.

I gave up on Tarian long ago. It's pointless, believe me. Even Buddha gave up and he loves to debate with virtually anyone.
I'll shut up when those making un-evidenced assertions or scary predictions based on who-knows-what shut up.

And you know what I think about the relevance of abusive asides - whether to individuals or whole swathes of people.
(which thankfully have reduced recently (y) )

Why are there going to be more lorries on Kent's roads??
Are we planning on importing more EU goods than we do at the moment??
Are the lorries planning to use different roads??

Erm... ...isn’t that exactly what the withdrawal agreement did?
I have long post prepared about Busingen am Rhein.
It's a German enclave surrounded by Switzerland.
(We stopped there last summer)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Büsingen_am_Hochrhein

But I'll post a short version.
"Commonly known as Büsingen, is a German municipality (7.62 km2 [2.94 sq mi]) in the south of Baden-Württemberg and an exclave entirely surrounded by territory belonging to Switzerland."

"Büsingen is not part of the customs territory of the European Union. Although Büsingen is otherwise a German village, because it belongs to the Swiss customs territory, EU economic regulations (other than those covered by Swiss–EU treaties) do not apply there."

Comparable with N.I / RoI ? Maybe not....
But if the EU can be flexible.....
....and put up with an open, porous border with a non-EU country....
....and allow part of a Member state to be outside "EU economic regulations" (Single Market)....
....and through which all sorts of undocumented goods might flow....

....then surely where there's a will, there's a way ? :wave:

The unknown is whether the EU are prepared to risk the further break up of the EU by offering the UK the prize of free access to the single market. If we have access for nothing other countries might ask for the same deal.

The EU might decide protecting the EU might be worth the pain of tariffs. It will hurt us more as they can still trade freely with each other.
Fair points.
Perhaps unwittingly, you may have identified the problem that the "EU" has become.

Isn't the EU supposed to be a "club" with "members" ..which justified whatever membership fee those members decided upon ?

Yet as you wrote:
"whether the EU are prepared...."
"to break up the EU....."

then
"other countries might ask for...."

So the EU has acquired a life of its own.
It is no longer a "club" with "members".
And if the idea that "other countries might ask for" ....
... a bit of independence is a problem for this EU, then perhaps it should be understandable why such a "club" can become less attractive ?

Perhaps if the EU was genuine "club" its Committee might ask itself:
"What flexibility do we need to offer to keep our members happy ?"
(Instead of giving the appearance of threat-making)

We have stopped paying in huge sums in to the EU coffers there really is no way we can expect to trade on the same terms. What's the point of the membership fee .
It may be mutually beneficial from a trade perspective but can't be acceptable from an EU political/solidarity perspective to let us have the same benefits without "paying in". Does that happen in any club ?
Does Canada pay a "membership fee" for trading with the EU?

More importantly is Canada expected to change many (any?) of its internal laws ?

(Still not sure what the claimed benefits are .....)