EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 646 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

Thanks Guvnor, sounds like the nomination process might be due some revision. Do you feel there is a silent majority, or "difference-making" number, who may choose to have their say on recent civil unrest by voting Republican? Or, is that all under the carpet now or not seen as a factor one way or the other?

Honestly don't know. All the political science tealeaves are pointing in one direction. Tired of Trump. All the tealeaves did that last time too though. I'll stretch and say he's cooked, but talk about the wish being father of the thought.

Turnout is the big factor in this election, the Democrats need to get their voters out in every state and get the turnout as high as they can to beat Trump. It is all about the electoral college hillary got more votes than Trump, but still lost.

GBN, (post 12,906) "We" might not buy the American contaminated food, but what about the food being sold to us via KFC, McDonald's, Birds Eye etc?

Sorry. how has that altered since we left the EU?

We have our own food inspectors and environmental health officers (my brother was one). They do not come across from the EU.

If the food in those establishments is contaminated, it always has been.

The debate about a US Trade deal was whether we would accept and rubber stamp certain types of food constitution and preparation methods. Contamination did not come in to it, as far as I am aware.

I would have some doubts about hormone fed beef and if the UK was to allow it I would ask more questions on a visit to McDonalds and Burger King, but I would still be more likely to eat it than foie gras.

I prefer to be not quite so vitriolic about people who have a different political view to me.
It isn't his political views that make him vile, it's his character and behaviour towards others. One good example is his disgraceful comments about McCain, someone surely worthy of respect (even though his pitical views were far to the right if mine).

I thought George Galloway was pretty vile and a potential demagogue even though I agreed wheheartedly with many of his political beliefs.

I truly believe Trump is dangerous for democracy and the planet (given that he leads the world's most powerful state).

It isn't his political views that make him vile, it's his character and behaviour towards others. I thought George Galloway was pretty vile and a potential demagogue even though I agreed wheheartedly with many of his political beliefs.

I truly believe Trump is dangerous for democracy and the planet (given that he leads the world's most powerful state).

The only danger to democracy is if people don’t turn out and vote.
I actually agree with you about Trump but try not to use that sort of language.
There’s little more disappointing than an illiberal liberal.
I’ve really noticed since Brexit that many on the left who considered themselves liberal thinkers are anything but to others who have different views.
It’s very sad and is leading to this cancel culture.

Cancel culture - what's that?

Just looked it up, never seen it before:

Cancel culture refers to the popular practice of withdrawing support for (canceling) public figures and companies after they have done or said something considered objectionable or offensive. Cancel culture is generally discussed as being performed on social media in the form of group shaming.

Last edited:
The only danger to democracy is if people don’t turn out and vote.
I actually agree with you about Trump but try not to use that sort of language.
There’s little more disappointing than an illiberal liberal.
I’ve really noticed since Brexit that many on the left who considered themselves liberal thinkers are anything but to others who have different views.
It’s very sad and is leading to this cancel culture.
So we can't say someone is vile if they are vile? What would be a liberal approach? Would "he isn't a very nice man" be ok?

"Cancel Culture"? Where's that come from? I've specifically not wanted anyones views suppressed (eg on this board) whatever I've thought of them.

Last edited:
Shotshy - sorry mate, but Trump is nothing more than an obnoxious bastard however you try dressing it up.
I’m not disagreeing 😂
My point is to let democracy take place without puerile and infantile name calling.
For some reason that I cannot figure out, many of us on the left feel the need to be as obnoxious as possible to anyone who dares disagree with us.
It’s simply not necessary.

I equally feel uncomfortable with all this Tory scum business.
I know many Tory voters including some in my own family and they certainly are not scum.
I remember saying to a Labour member mate of mine, a few years back when he was telling me how he hated all Tories.
What about your Nan, she votes Tory?
Oh, she’s ok, he said, but the others 😂

I've singled out Trump and Johnson. Both for their characters. They are frauds and in Trump's case dangerous imo. I make no apology for calling them out, not that they would care as Nitram pointed out :-)

You've dumped me in the category of hater of all on the right which as you point out in your examples above would have meant I hated most of my family if that were true, which obviously it isn't.

Still looks like the same tired arguments and opinions are being dragged up. Whereas, my company is commited to opening a new factory in Holland and transferring our EU demand to that factory, should we have to operate under WTO terms. That is 60% of our capacity, and that doesn't include demand from countries with EU deals that the UK may not have (Egypt, for example). This will cost 100 or so jobs in my company alone. That doesn't include the impact on our 3pl partners (all of which are UK based). Ironically, the main impact will be on blue collar workers, a lot of whom voted for brexit. They will be lucky to better the salary and perks that they have now. This is the reality of us not having a deal with the EU. I truly hope that peoples optimism on that front ends up being justified, but I can't see it.

Still looks like the same tired arguments and opinions are being dragged up. Whereas, my company is commited to opening a new factory in Holland and transferring our EU demand to that factory, should we have to operate under WTO terms. That is 60% of our capacity, and that doesn't include demand from countries with EU deals that the UK may not have (Egypt, for example). This will cost 100 or so jobs in my company alone. That doesn't include the impact on our 3pl partners (all of which are UK based). Ironically, the main impact will be on blue collar workers, a lot of whom voted for brexit. They will be lucky to better the salary and perks that they have now. This is the reality of us not having a deal with the EU. I truly hope that peoples optimism on that front ends up being justified, but I can't see it.

As you say, tired arguments about specific companies, in the same way as if the EU do not allow us proper independence and so a deal can not be struck, I expect a lot of EU companies will be looking to open new enterprises in the UK to avoid WTO tariffs.

In fact, bearing in mind they export a hell of a lot more to us than we do to them, it could be a lot MORE enterprises, creating a lot more UK jobs. Even the German car companies may consider it, and even start manufacturing parts in this country for cars they want to sell here.

All speculation at the moment.

Good luck when you move abroad. 👍
We have friends whose son has just returned to the U.K. from his IT job in Amsterdam.
I’m not sure if he intends to return but expect he’ll find it difficult to find a job here at the moment.

edit < I will add that every deal the Eu has with third countries is being rolled over.
We have the advantage of knowing exactly what they are so little negotiation is necessary.

Last edited:
Good luck when you move abroad. 👍
We have friends whose son has just returned to the U.K. from his IT job in Amsterdam.
I’m not sure if he intends to return but expect he’ll find it difficult to find a job here at the moment.

edit < I will add that every deal the Eu has with third countries is being rolled over.
We have the advantage of knowing exactly what they are so little negotiation is necessary.
Fortunately, it seems that I will be lucky and will be carrying out my role for both sites here in good old blighty. As for your statement regarding roll outs. That isn't correct. Any eu trade deal that isn't rolled out by the end of the transition period will mean that we will have to revert to wto terms with that country. Egypt, for example, is one of those countries we haven't agreed anything with...yet. It may be that we roll over all trade deals as that is, obviously, the sensible thing to do. As I said, hopefully, both parties will come to their senses and agree a deal.

Fortunately, it seems that I will be lucky and will be carrying out my role for both sites here in good old blighty. As for your statement regarding roll outs. That isn't correct. Any eu trade deal that isn't rolled out by the end of the transition period will mean that we will have to revert to wto terms with that country. Egypt, for example, is one of those countries we haven't agreed anything with...yet. It may be that we roll over all trade deals as that is, obviously, the sensible thing to do. As I said, hopefully, both parties will come to their senses and agree a deal.
All countries want a roll over deal I’m told.
It’s literally a five minute job to sign the agreements.
Canada were holding out to see what happens but are now driving it due to things not moving on with the Eu.
I actually know someone working in that department.

All countries want a roll over deal I’m told.
It’s literally a five minute job to sign the agreements.
Canada were holding out to see what happens but are now driving it due to things not moving on with the Eu.
I actually know someone working in that department.
As I said, I hope you are right, but as we speak atm, you aren't. With this poxy virus causing all sorts of mayhem, they all need to comprimise as much as they can to help all everybody get back on their feet. Even if that means we concede ground on our fishing waters...imo

As I said, I hope you are right, but as we speak atm, you aren't. With this poxy virus causing all sorts of mayhem, they all need to comprimise as much as they can to help all everybody get back on their feet. Even if that means we concede ground on our fishing waters...imo
We’ve already offered a three year transition on fishing.
The Eu (France) demand the status quo under CFP or no deal on anything.
I wonder if remainers think that’s acceptable or cake and eat it ?
They seem to want to treat the U.K. as any other third country except in things they think important like fishing and security.

We’ve already offered a three year transition on fishing.
The Eu (France) demand the status quo under CFP or no deal on anything.
I wonder if remainers think that’s acceptable or cake and eat it ?
They seem to want to treat the U.K. as any other third country except in things they think important like fishing and security.

Again, it all relates to the principle of being an independent country. I am not quite sure why any foreign fishing boat should expect to have any right to fish in another independent country's internationally designated waters unless invited to do so.

For instance, are Japanese fishermen allowed to fish where they like in Chinese waters?

The UK no longer has any say in EU matters but they still want to keep their clutches over our domestic rights.

That is why the notion that it is US that want our cake and eat it has always been a laughable view.