EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 624 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

You keep forgetting we’ve left.
Latest row today is the U.K. decision not to contribute to the Eu pandemic recovery fund.
The EU say we are obligated to pay even though we cannot benefit and there is no agreement for this.
More draining of the U.K. cash cow?

I expect you’ll back them and say we should pay.

I'm not sure that I trust you on this shotshy, but if what you're saying is true and it really is as simple as all that, then even though I was against Brexit I'd say this is an instance where we should tell the EU to eff off!

I'm not sure that I trust you on this shotshy, but if what you're saying is true and it really is as simple as all that, then even though I was against Brexit I'd say this is an instance where we should tell the EU to eff off!
Top story today on politico eu.

But it's not true

You keep forgetting we’ve left.
Latest row today is the U.K. decision not to contribute to the Eu pandemic recovery fund.
The EU say we are obligated to pay even though we cannot benefit and there is no agreement for this.
More draining of the U.K. cash cow?
I expect you’ll back them and say we should pay.

Don't dismiss it. Presumably if they see us as members in this respect they are happy to add our own bail out requirements (from furloughing, etc) to the overall total that the whole of the EU will be responsible for. I doubt that is currently included in the 750 billion euro figure.

They can not have it both ways. That would be like having their cake and eating it.

In Barnier’s defence, he has been given instructions from the Commission who received their mandate from the 27 leaders.
They seem to be under the impression that they are still dealing with TM and Robbins.

We all know that ultimately it’s down to Germany and France. The others fall into line.

[QUOTE="GillsBluenose, post: 2309153, member:

A bit puzzled as to why they think a 10% tariff on car exports, of all things, will affect the UK more. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Just a guess by they might be assuming the owners would move the car plants into Europe where they can sell to other EU members tariff free.

We would lose all those jobs.

The EU manufacturers might lose sales in the uk as the car would cost more to import

Overall it sounds like we get a worse deal.

A bit puzzled as to why they think a 10% tariff on car exports, of all things, will affect the UK more.
Having bigged up Sunderland, Nissan has said that it will pull out of the UK when a 10% tariff is applied in a no-deal situation. Renault (Nissan shareholder) has said it won't be moving any production to Sunderland. Honda had already started to wind down and Toyota will follow. Other manufacturers will no doubt pull out. Of course Mercedes, VW and Audi etc will suffer but don't you think the Germans have already planned for that especially as the EU has concluded/is negotiating new trade deals around the world. Otherwise what Markinkent said.

That's an awfully long way of trying to dodge the fact that Rees Mogg doesn't want his project to be judged until an awfully long time has elapsed.
That's NOT what R-M said.
Please read again.
"The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years."
i.e. The "opportunity" of the "project" will be judged continuously.

(And after 50 years, Brexit will be so far back in history, attributing anything to it may have little value)

Personally, I always thought that "success" would be pretty obvious within less than a year .... as the vast majority of business would carry on much as usual.

But probably Covid has muddied the waters too much.

[/QUOTE]Just a guess by they might be assuming the owners would move the car plants into Europe where they can sell to other EU members tariff free.
We would lose all those jobs.
The EU manufacturers might lose sales in the uk as the car would cost more to import
Overall it sounds like we get a worse deal.[/QUOTE]

According to this, the Sunderland plant actually only exports half of their cars to the EU:
https://www.business-live.co.uk/manufacturing/nissan-sunderland-qashqai-production-brexit-17012697

So will their new plant in Europe only need 3500 workers?

Not sure where the other half are sold but if it is within the UK they will start having to pay export tariffs on those with no plant over here.

Of course Mercedes, VW and Audi etc will suffer but don't you think the Germans have already planned for that especially as the EU has concluded/is negotiating new trade deals around the world.

Problem is that however many trade deals with governments you conclude, it is the general public that buy cars in a pretty saturated market that is abandoning diesel and embracing electric.

Looking at domestic roads recently, I would suspect that the UK public have been some of their most willing and regular customers until now.

Not sure how you can plan or control public enthusiasm for your product when the price goes up.

According to this, the Sunderland plant actually only exports half of their cars to the EU:
I'm not sure that is right - 70% of manufacturing in Sunderland is exported to the EU. Looked at several websites. At this rate, only jaguar/Land Rover will be built here, although a big chunk of its production is done in the EU.

We could do with much less cars around anyway.
Plus we have a skilled workforce just waiting for a world beating electric design.

Win win 👍🇬🇧

We could do with much less cars around anyway.
Plus we have a skilled workforce just waiting for a world beating electric design.

Win win 👍🇬🇧

And electric is the reason why Honda is withdrawing, not Brexit. Their European boss has admitted “this is not a Brexit-related issue for us”.

The loss of 7000 jobs is sad but in a workforce of tens of millions, as well as being able to finally partly turn off the tap of previously unlimited migrant labour, you have to think that if the fishing issue is supposedly overblown, so is this.

Is a fisherman's livelyhood less important than a car worker's?