EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 471 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

F*** me, if the Labour party had been expressing views like Boris Bullshit's about spending commitments, Fleet Street (if there is still such a thing) would be going apoplectic about the magic money tree. See how easy news is manipulated and we all fall for it.

Please cite the WTO Rule article.

If you read the WTO pre-amble, one of its aims is the reduction of non-tariff barriers incl. border checks.
And given that only 1-5% of non-EU shipments are inspected anyway (depending on origin), the UK failing to inspect is hardly likely to excite the WTO.

And another thing, the UK & ROI have had a common travel area since 1922(?)
So that 'special relationship' is long-standing and we'll understood.
It’s other countries taking us to the WTO disputes body that is the potential problem. We could be embroiled in disputes with our trading partners for years if we get this wrong.

I'm down in the west country at the moment and their local news was just interviewing local farmers.
None had a negative attitude to brexit.
Even the sheep farmer said that his particular needs have been addressed regarding potential tariffs imposed by the EU.
He said that in the event of no deal, they expect a drop in demand from Europe and the UK government will compensate them like for like.
Not really what the TV company wanted to hear I think.
They seem to prefer hysterical reporting.
It seems to me that the supposed saving of the pretend £350m pw is going on the farmers just to prop them up. There was silly old me thinking it was going on the NHS. Anyway, thanks Welsh sheep farmers. Voting for Brexit against the advice of your Union and then expecting us taxpayers to bail you out when you belatedly realise you are in the shit.

It seems to me that the supposed saving of the pretend £350m pw is going on the farmers just to prop them up. There was silly old me thinking it was going on the NHS.
May I suggest gently that you read the red bus slogan again.
It was clearly an example of a UK priority - or an EU one.
Put another way .... does the money to the EU get spent on one thing ???

They look at the Ukraine-Polish border arrangements and compare to what might be the case with UK-Ireland. Loads of friction and bureaucracy.
"might" be like ?
Does Poland have a 97 year old Agreement in place with its neighbour ?
A common language and legal system ?

Has the intensity of checks more to do with the Polish Govt - or the EU ?

"might" be like ?
Does Poland have a 97 year old Agreement in place with its neighbour ?
A common language and legal system ?

Has the intensity of checks more to do with the Polish Govt - or the EU ?

Erm - BJ has already said that the UK intends to diverge from EU laws. So the legal system wouldn’t be common.

Poland-Ukraine border controls do seem like an extreme example, but they illustrate the lengths that the EU will go to to protect the integrity of the single market - even if it means pain for some member states. That was one of the takeaways for me.

It also perfectly illustrates the point I’ve been makin that you need a hard border to take control of cross-border trade and immigration.

It is the best parallel that can be drawn for NI/Ireland situation - so I wouldn’t be so dismissive. Maybe we can learn some lessons from Poland-Ukraine border.

So how did we control immigration from Eire before we joined the EU?
There has effectively been freedom of movement - holidays/work/ health between the UK and Ireland since whenever - and it will continue post-Brexit. This freedom includes other bits not in the UK, eg Channel Islands and Isle of Man.

So how did we control immigration from Eire before we joined the EU?

Before the EU there was no free movement of people from EU member states to Ireland. Therefore the comparison you are making is irrelevant.

Tell me: if we (supposedly) want control over immigration, how would you stop a Polish person from popping over to Ireland, and then crossing over in to the UK if there were an open border?

On leaving, I would be happy of organising a border line down the Irish sea. Eire could then do what they are allowed to by the EU.

Tell me: if we (supposedly) want control over immigration, how would you stop a Polish person from popping over to Ireland, and then crossing over in to the UK if there were an open border?

Nothing to stop them, but no need to recognise them either and full rights to kick them out when discovered that they have not gone through immigration application system.

Employers to be warned that they will be prosecuted as well if they have taken them on without seeing immigration documentation.

I think we could cope with the amount that would want to come on that basis.

A solution that EU were happy to accept. But DUP aren’t on board.
The DUP are only happy with what THEY want. Are we suggesting that they are little Remainers? I would be happy with leaving NI to independence. Then let the DUP try to run a country!