EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 358 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

My only comment is what a shambles .The papers appear to have a total run down of govenment events.Time for leaders toget a grip .Or allow a secret ballot of all members of the house of Commons on all plans put forward try to move forward with the most popular plan.Failure to deliver that a and general election will come regardless of the Tories wishes .The only other option is another vote. Which personally I don't think is the best way forward.
Whatever the result the whole political system is broken in this country we are certainly not in a great position to take Brexit forward even if it was a workable idea in the first place.These political leaders have no idea of how to make it work. Nor do any of the other parties who thought it was a good idea.
I believe it is time for parties to agree a way forward or split then put what is left to the people in a general election. Then we try to move forward from there .But frankly this is the biggest mess in my life time in a political sense.

I think the Scottish Conservative leader put it in perspective on the Johnny Marr show this morning. Coming from a background of Scottish government, she's used to compromise and has urged the Tories and Labour to come up with Brexit agreement. Some MPs won't like it and others would like a peoples' vote. Such a compromise would give Remainers a stake in the future of the UK in light of the wafer thin 2016 referendum majority.

My wife is originally from Winchester and although she is a long way from a Tory voter. The area is very much a Tory area.The fact that not for the first time they have managed to lose the council while the likes of Medway is still blue is quite incredible. I don't see much of my in laws these days and rarely if ever talk politics to them.But it just shows how much the Tories have alienated their natural support .

Last edited:
GBN I make a net contribution to my cricket club but it's well worth it for all the benefits it brings. Am I stupid

You are if your fellow players pay much lower subscriptions and they open the batting and bowling while you just do fielding or umpiring before helping with the teas.

Last edited:
The most ridiculous thing about the idea of putting any deal to a people's vote is that it is putting yet another obstacle in the way of getting anything finalised and moving on.

The HOC has not been able to find a majority for anything positive apart than May's Deal with the backstop removed, which would not float with the EU.

If the Tories and Labour reach agreement on this new plan which includes a Customs Union/Agreement and it is voted through in Parliament, a people's vote with a yes/no could end up in another form of veto and deadlock - again.

That is even before the proposal is put to the EU.

You are if your fellow players pay much lower subscriptions and they open the batting and bowling while you just do fielding or umpiring before helping with the teas.
But, like the UK I am one of the most powerful and prominent players ( albeit a low standard I admit) so as it happens I do actually open the batting and keep wicket. So my net contribution is well worth it compared to going it alone.

But, like the UK I am one of the most powerful and prominent players ( albeit a low standard I admit) so as it happens I do actually open the batting and keep wicket. So my net contribution is well worth it compared to going it alone.

It’s no good throwing your toys out the prom and leaving. Your cricket club will find a replacement for you. All the while you can play in your garden on your own. That’ll teach them. ☹️

If the Tories and Labour reach agreement on this new plan which includes a Customs Union/Agreement and it is voted through in Parliament, a people's vote with a yes/no could end up in another form of veto and deadlock - again.

I agree.

Are you in favour of a Customs Union/Agreement now?

It’s no good throwing your toys out the prom and leaving. Your cricket club will find a replacement for you. All the while you can play in your garden on your own. That’ll teach them. ☹️

Agreed, if they are happy with the terms and lopsided subscriptions. There is always more than one mug on the tree that they can shaft.

Powerful and prominent? Presumably you are on a smaller selection committee than 28 when things are put to a vote.

I agree.

Are you in favour of a Customs Union/Agreement now?

Personally, yes if there is no other way of leaving and it stops freedom of movement, unlimited power of the ECJ and our subscriptions.

If we then move on to a Free Trade Deal with the EU, I would be willing to sacrifice some of the other trade deals that Fox claims to have lined up, if necessary.

Personally, yes if there is no other way of leaving and it stops freedom of movement, unlimited power of the ECJ and our subscriptions.

If we then move on to a Free Trade Deal with the EU, I would be willing to sacrifice some of the other trade deals that Fox claims to have lined up, if necessary.
What’s the point ffs?

This show goes on and on. I'm not sure there is any end to it at all so perhaps we need a different way of viewing it. Brexit is reframed as a glorious example of Great British eccentricity and doggedness so we keep it rumbling on ignoring logic, all our other more pressing problems and the rest of the world. In time they will come to view it as a given, part of our overall strangeness. Perhaps in a very long time they will even view our Brexit obsession the same affection they reserve for British cultural stereotypes.