EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 356 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

You're going to have to pick a side now, VG. Is it going to be the Battenburgers or the Faragistes?

I'm not conversant with the differences between them, but you obviously will be, so could you do us a favour and give us a quick run-down of the policies, and a few tips on what side we should favour, and why?

Cheers in advance.

You're going to have to pick a side now, VG. Is it going to be the Battenburgers or the Faragistes?

I'm not conversant with the differences between them, but you obviously will be, so could you do us a favour and give us a quick run-down of the policies, and a few tips on what side we should favour, and why?

Cheers in advance.
I'd guess Battenburgers. True Brexiteers want their cake and to eat it.

Alderman, I saw a film of arch Brexiteer Owen Patterson saying we'd stay in the single market just before the Referendum (Politics show). What he actually meant was no deal apparently and that's what his supporters voted for.

Hopefully, when he now says no deal, what he actually means is Remain.

Excuse me if I'm a bit confused.

The trouble with you is that you're hidebound, and incapable of flexible thought.

Brexit means Brexit.

Consider the wonderful, elegant circularity of that and let it be your mantra. Let yourself flow.

Believe, Grasshopper, believe..

Cheers in advance.

Policies , BREXIT !
Who you should favour ? Errm , they pretty much have the same aims , so its down to you. Maybe who you detest the least ?

Alderman, I saw a film of arch Brexiteer Owen Patterson saying we'd stay in the single market just before the Referendum (Politics show). What he actually meant was no deal apparently and that's what his supporters voted for.
Hopefully, when he now says no deal, what he actually means is Remain.
Excuse me if I'm a bit confused.

I would be surprised if he ever said exactly that as the single market is inextricably attached to freedom of movement and most brexiters are aware that is the biggest issue for voters. Are you sure he did not say alignment with the single market?

I do agree that some brexiters expected the EU to be more reasonable and flexible which was never going to be the case so he may have been deluding himself.

Do you have a link?

Cheers in advance.
Batty Boy's lot are more up VG's calle

I do agree that some brexiters expected the EU to be more reasonable and flexible which was never going to be the case so he may have been deluding himself.
Like you? When you leave a club and, if you want to be half in and half out, then concessions by the member not the club have to be made.

I would be surprised if he ever said exactly that as the single market is inextricably attached to freedom of movement and most brexiters are aware that is the biggest issue for voters. Are you sure he did not say alignment with the single market?

Do you have a link?
"Reasonable and flexible". I think you mean not stick to their core values and come begging to us because we are so invaluable. Well that didn't happen because Leavers were deluded about our importance. Some Leavers believed it. Boris said anything that suited him. ERG always wanted "creative chaos" and bullshitted about what we could get but actually wanting no deal all along for their loony right wing dogma.

Do you have a link?
Daniel Hannan Tory MEP, “Absolutely no one is threatening our place in the single market”. Of course, that was before the referendum.

Daniel Hannan Tory MEP, “Absolutely no one is threatening our place in the single market”. Of course, that was before the referendum.
But did he mean "Single market" or some imaginary "alignment with single market" whatever the fuck rhat is, because according to Gbn there's a big difference.

But did he mean "Single market" or some imaginary "alignment with single market" whatever the fuck rhat is, because according to Gbn there's a big difference.

There is a big difference. Being in the single market means acceptance of freedom movement as well as a whole set of rules you can not control so effectively we might as well not leave the EU.

Alignment is along the lines of cooperation and respect of each others trade laws, plus no (or low) tariffs. That can be agreed in a trade deal, from which the EU will gain as much if not more than us.

There is a big difference. Being in the single market means acceptance of freedom movement as well as a whole set of rules you can not control so effectively we might as well not leave the EU.

Alignment is along the lines of cooperation and respect of each others trade laws, plus no (or low) tariffs. That can be agreed in a trade deal, from which the EU will gain as much if not more than us.
Well that's easy then. No brainer. Why hasn't it happened? Are the EU deliberately trying to destroy themselves/collectively being incredibly stupid compared to our geniuses?

A website called Left foot forward. Are you serious?

And I note that the comment from May said “The best possible deal for trading with and operating within the single European market.” Why would "trading with" be included if she was not advocating the likelyhood of leaving?
I think I might see what’s driving you. Are you trying to justify Jeremy Corbyn’s position ? If you are it’s just as barmy as Theresa May’s. The brexiteers specifically don’t want to be bound by the regulations within the single market. The “thousands of laws” that they love to moan about are mostly those about standards and specifications for goods in the market. If you don’t specifically bind yourselves to those rules, frictionless trade becomes an unobtainable myth. If you want to be free of them that’s fine but don’t complain when there are checks st the border. Hence the continued problem at the Irish border. Either you follow the rules or you don’t. ‘Close alignment’ means nothing.

If you don’t specifically bind yourselves to those rules, frictionless trade becomes an unobtainable myth. If you want to be free of them that’s fine but don’t complain when there are checks st the border. Hence the continued problem at the Irish border. Either you follow the rules or you don’t. ‘Close alignment’ means nothing.
The problem will be exacerbated by more and more countries signing up to trade agreements with the EU - a much bigger market prospect than the UK - and more and more countries will begin to adopt those standards and specifications.