EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 202 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

All it needs is for one of the Japan car makers to consider leaving the UK and we're fucked; so, we need to need to care about what he says.
How so? Their profits go back to Japan so the only effect is to put more workers on a job market that is currently so desperately in need that we just HAVE to have migrant workers.

Now the Japanese Prime Minister is urging avoiding a no-deal scenario.
...and I am sure that Japan just rolled over to all the EU demands and intransigence in their desperation for their recent trade deal.

I expect the EU powerhouse gave them a like it or lump it ultimatum that they had to accept because no deal would have meant armageddon for Japan.:rofl:

Maybe the EU should just put us out of our misery. After all, May's my deal or no deal is actually the EU's deal or no deal, and whatever problems the EU faces, worrying that others will be tempted to follow the trail blazed by us is not one of them.
Agreed. Would be typical of the arrogance and complacency that will eventually choke them. Ignore the unrest that has caused Merkel and Macron their national problems.

Trashbat

Vital Reserves Team
How so? Their profits go back to Japan so the only effect is to put more workers on a job market that is currently so desperately in need that we just HAVE to have migrant workers.
GBN, I’m trying to work out whether you are:
- on a wind up; and/or
- stupid; and/or
- a complete moron.

I’m giving you the benefit of doubt for now.

In answer to your question: “How so?”:

Here’re some starters for 10:
- lost jobs for UK citizens
- lost PAYE/NI receipts for the exchequer
- lost corporation tax receipts for the exchequer
- lost contracts for local UK owned 3rd party outsourced vendors
- lost skills in UK workforce

Furthermore, the impact will be highly localised rather than being evenly spread over the UK - which will exacerbate the problem just like we saw with the closure of coal mines:

- localised fall in house prices potentially causing people fall in to negative equity
- less likelihood of people being able to find alternative employment unless they are prepared to relocate - breaking up communities
- increase in public sector borrowing as the government might intervene to retrain

Wayne.Kerr

Vital 1st Team Regular
...and I am sure that Japan just rolled over to all the EU demands and intransigence in their desperation for their recent trade deal.

I expect the EU powerhouse gave them a like it or lump it ultimatum that they had to accept because no deal would have meant armageddon for Japan.:rofl:
Like Trashbat, I truly believe you have lost it. Why on earth would a powerful nation accede to the EU's demands. Bonkers!

Never mind all those car workers could get a job fruit picking or in Amazon warehouses or whatever. For someone with supposed left wing sympathies GBN has a very dismissive attitude to other people's jobs. Destroy industry so there enough unemployed to take the unskilled jobs migrants do- brilliant.

That's why it took years to negotiate. You voted Leave on a premise, which is flawed, and now you're talking about armageddon for Japan. Bonkers!
Irony is completely lost on you, isn't it?

The Armageddon comment referred to how you perceive a no deal would be for us because you believe the EU hold all the cards in our negotiations, and yet Japan are supposedly powerful enough enough to get the deal they want from the EU.

I would rather be bonkers than have your double standards.

Never mind all those car workers could get a job fruit picking or in Amazon warehouses or whatever. For someone with supposed left wing sympathies GBN has a very dismissive attitude to other people's jobs. Destroy industry so there enough unemployed to take the unskilled jobs migrants do- brilliant.
And you have a racist attitude to fruit picking and Amazon jobs - good enough for migrants but not for UK citizens, are they?

Give me strength.

Trashbat

Vital Reserves Team
And you have a racist attitude to fruit picking and Amazon jobs - good enough for migrants but not for UK citizens, are they?

Give me strength.
I must have missed the racism in Pinhead’s post. Maybe because it doesn’t exist?!?

The reasonable point being made was one of structural unemployment. It’s not economically productive for a skilled car assembly manager to take a job at Costa.

Give me strength.
And you're twisting things round to avoid answering the point. So you think it is a reasonable consequence of Brexit for people to swop skilled jobs for unskilled ones? It's been said by many others that working people did not vote for Brexit to make themselves worse off but you seem to think that's absolutely fine to achieve your ideological obsession, basically aligning yourself with right-wing Tories who have the same casual disregard for people's basic living standards.

MedwayModernist

Vital Reserves Team
Jesus, skilled well paid jobs leaving the UK is ok because those formerly skilled well paid employees can now take on poorer paying jobs - what a result!

Look how well that did in the towns when the dockyard shut ffs.

As for the Japan deal, their trade with the EU will be a hugely smaller proportion of their total trade compared to ours, which basically means it matters less to them, which means they have less skin in the game and if they don't get a deal, they just carry on as is.

The UK however because our economy as part of the EU has become so interconnected with the EU over the past 50 years has much more skin in the game. If we don't get a deal, then we're basically fucked.

I've yet to hear any arguments from a Brexiter as to why/how/when we'll be better off that's based in evidence or on research from reliable sources.

Arguing with a Brexit is like a climate denier ffs.

I must have missed the racism in Pinhead’s post. Maybe because it doesn’t exist?!?.
All explained and contained in one sentence so perhaps you have a very limited attention span.

It is just so hugely ironic for the Remainers to accuse Brexiters of being racist and Gammons when the last two pages of this thread have been them venting and saying how UK workers can not be expected to retrain or become multi skilled, when migrants can do the low paid back breaking jobs instead.

If you seriously think that any job is for life you have missed a train that left years ago.

Last edited:
Jesus, skilled well paid jobs leaving the UK is ok because those formerly skilled well paid employees can now take on poorer paying jobs - what a result!
Look how well that did in the towns when the dockyard shut ffs.
Were we not in the EU when the dockyard shut? No, must be wrong, nobody is made redundant and has needed to retrain since we have been in the mighty EU, of course.

Wayne.Kerr

Vital 1st Team Regular
The' left-leaning' CBI warns that a No-deal [VG's favourite] could well lead an 8% shrinkage of the UK's GDP and the knock-on effect of that along with reduced tax revenues could be catastrophic. I guess GBN would prefer the words of Brexiteers who think jumping to WTO terms will be falling off a log/cliff.

May's deal is shite and is not the only deal; it's the only deal if we're bound by her ridiculous red lines. Postpone Article 50 and negotiate a proper deal.