EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 163 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

One prediction I would have if there is no deal and tariffs are introduced, THAT is when you will start to see action from the companies that currently export heavily to the UK to pursue a quick free trade deal. They have no reason to raise their heads until no deal becomes reality.
Governments negotiate trade deals not companies. Trade deals cover capital, goods, labour and so on; plus, there has to be mutual needs etc. between the two states involved.

'Others like the millions who already can't make ends meet'

You are describing the average , brexit voting man on the street. You just don't get it.

We've got it all wrong; according to Tommy Robinson latest: Brexit Was About Culture, Not The Economy. Thank you Gel Boy for putting us right on the matter.

We've got it all wrong; according to Tommy Robinson latest: Brexit Was About Culture, Not The Economy. Thank you Gel Boy for putting us right on the matter.

Losing our culture and identity , yes it was definitely a major factor in the 2016 vote.
Millions of forgotten , working class watching their surroundings change beyond recognition and not being listened to.
It's happening all over Europe.
The poorer class who are so pissed off that they will take the financial grief.
A brighter future awaits Europe, and people are waking up.

Jacob Rees Mogg is the one politician who makes sense. We should leave with no deal and tell the EU we will no longer take orders from them. The EU is a globalist organisation run by the unelected elites who want a ‘new world order’.

More a case of split personality, I reckon.

Although if you're going to have a split personality, it's bloody rotten luck if the second one is just as much of a boring, objectionable twat as the first one. What are the odds, eh?

Macron has surrendered on fuel tax , then a week later on minimum wage. The people sense there's more to come , and the protests go on. The globalist poster boy is fckd and France too.
Other European govts will be watching closely , including ours.

Macron has surrendered on fuel tax , then a week later on minimum wage. The people sense there's more to come , and the protests go on. The globalist poster boy is fckd and France too.
Other European govts will be watching closely , including ours.

So he will now follow Corbyns policies!

Last edited:
Could one of you sages explain one thing for me. What exactly is a trade deal with a country or a body like the EU? No, I am not joking.

The only plausible description would be for instance when we supply or buy items used and paid for by government departments, military, public services, etc in other countries.

Surely that would be dwarfed by deals done between, say, individual French companies and individual British companies. Why should a "deal" need to be done between governments for that practice to take place or indeed continue if both parties wish it to? Surely there would be some outrage about interference by the state if that was prevented.

I was thinking about that when it was said on the news that we have a substantial trade surplus with the USA already (despite being in the EU), so we (or our businesses) must already be trading heavily with them, whereas we have a heavy trade deficit with the EU:
https://fullfact.org/economy/trade-deficit-surplus-USA-EU/

Is the answer that these national "trade deals" are in fact just agreements about what tariffs will be charged if any?
A trade deal is concluded between two nation states to boost trade, and in the process boost economic activity, by reducing or even removing barriers to trade across international borders.

Alternatively, a trade agreement or pact is a wide-ranging taxes, tariff and trade treaty that often includes investment guarantees. When two or more countries agree on terms that helps them trade with each other. The most common trade agreements are of the preferential and free trade types are concluded in order to reduce [or eliminate] tariffs, quotas and other trade restrictions on items traded between the signatories. This is why a no-deal Brexit and reverting to WTO rules would be so disastrous for the UK and makes Shotshy's comment about living with WTO rules so laughable.

Countries taking part are generally seeking improved opportunities for their businesses to sell their goods and services overseas. It is business groups who are the main supporters of these negotiations.
There are also often investment aspects to these deals which are intended to encourage more foreign investment between signatory countries.

As you can imagine, they are treaties that are legally binding on each state and by definition cannot be concluded overnight. Trade deals are set up by governments not for military or public service purposes but are binding on companies from each signatory state that wish to trade with businesses in the other state.

I was thinking about that when it was said on the news that we have a substantial trade surplus with the USA already (despite being in the EU), so we (or our businesses) must already be trading heavily with them, whereas we have a heavy trade deficit with the EU:
https://fullfact.org/economy/trade-deficit-surplus-USA-EU/
We trade with the USA under the EU/USA trade agreement and post-Brexit would have to negotiate a new pact with most likely less favourable terms especially against a background of Trump's America First and our surplus could shrink as a consequence. The EU is a powerful global player that can stand up to the USA in a way we couldn't. And yes, we have a trade deficit with the EU - nothing wrong with that - because we buy more than we sell to the 27 member states but the beauty of that arrangement is that EU membership is one big trade pact, which is free of tariffs, quotas and other restrictions on intra-EU business. Leave the EU with no agreement and imports become more expensive and as do exports - not good for us.

I hope that clarifies what a trade deal is and that why there's such an advantage to being an EU member.

"The deal eliminates about 99 percent of the tariffs on Japanese goods to the EU". I see a market being flooded.:whist:
While the EU has eliminated tariffs or agreed preferential rates/quotas/restrictions etc with Japan, it will not permit dumping; so, the EU will be enjoying the benefits of the pact with Japan, the UK will have to negotiate its own treaty post-Brexit that won't be on a par with the EU deal because we won't have the clout.

Yes Wayne. This very beneficial agreement with Japan has taken 5 years plus another year before being implemented. Why should we get a deal as good ? Won't happen and will take a number of years as well.

PS my wife has just said that she would punch Teresa May for keeping on saying she is going to deliver Brexit for the people.