Erik Lamela - Former Player Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

Erik Lamela - Former Player Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No point not renewing the contract though to protect whatever value he might have in the transfer market.

Argentinian bias would be keeping him another year though.

Sorry was flippant remark.

He shouldn’t be here next year though.

His actual goal and assist record is not too bad though, I think we have little option but to give him another year

For what it's worth, I find myself for the second summer in a row wondering why we didn't get the Zaha deal over the line and considering just what a difference he could have made to our campaign - I hope that after the season he's had we go get him now.

For what it's worth, I find myself for the second summer in a row wondering why we didn't get the Zaha deal over the line and considering just what a difference he could have made to our campaign - I hope that after the season he's had we go get him now.

Just don't see it. He signed a new, long term contract in August 2018 and is 27 in November. I personally think he's past the point where we see him as able to fit into our financial model. It's probably not about his transfer value or salary, but there's no resale value in a few years and a massive write down to the balance sheet.

I can see us looking instead for a similar player at 23/24 years old, but can't think of an obvious one.

Whoever okayed the new deal should be sacked. Pretty much everyone on here said it was a stupid move.

I would terminate his contract if nobody wants him. Waste of space.

I'm one of the few on here that would be happy to keep Lamela for at least another season. His injury record is dreadful but there aren't many players in our team who understand our club like him. He never complains about being a bit part player, he always puts in maximum effort and he is way more creative than people give him credit for.

In a time where we could see the squad stripped of a lot of players in the summer, I think we might benefit from keeping someone like Erik around.

I think the biggest change needs to be between Poch and our fitness staff because this season has been a total disaster with injuries and my guess is Poch is totally unwilling to adapt his methods to suit the situations.

No thanks. Shocking attitude problem.

Most that united squad have a terrible attitude

Just look at the form runs this season.

De Gea/Rashford/Shaw are among a few that can say they have given 100 percent

Just don't see it. He signed a new, long term contract in August 2018 and is 27 in November. I personally think he's past the point where we see him as able to fit into our financial model. It's probably not about his transfer value or salary, but there's no resale value in a few years and a massive write down to the balance sheet.

I can see us looking instead for a similar player at 23/24 years old, but can't think of an obvious one.
I was thinking about this and I disagree with you and weirdly myself. Let me explain, your right Zaha does not fit our model as his age profile is now at the point where wages to sell on we would not make a profit if we give him say five year deal. However...despite never thinking he was worth the sums tossed about(£70m) I have zero doubt he'd add assists and goals and Pens for Harry that Moura Lamela dont match. I see him as getting Eriksen numbers. So here's where I think he maybe worth the punt up to 45m with add ons to 50. Why do we have only one 'model'. The prototype Bale scenario built Madrid it did not serve us. The Bale money got Eriksen and Chadli that were worth it we could have afford them any way.This buy young sell high is about tangible assets on a balance sheet. I think it has its place, with room for more creative thinking. Let's call it the Van der vart model. High end perhaps unfulfilled promise players looking to prove something. They are not playing for "The" move (Madrid/Barca) but think they should have had it and want to win something to back it up. This could be Zaha, and there are a few others in European football that are in this mode we should consider. Time for a bit more nuance.

I was thinking about this and I disagree with you and weirdly myself. Let me explain, your right Zaha does not fit our model as his age profile is now at the point where wages to sell on we would not make a profit if we give him say five year deal. However...despite never thinking he was worth the sums tossed about(£70m) I have zero doubt he'd add assists and goals and Pens for Harry that Moura Lamela dont match. I see him as getting Eriksen numbers. So here's where I think he maybe worth the punt up to 45m with add ons to 50. Why do we have only one 'model'. The prototype Bale scenario built Madrid it did not serve us. The Bale money got Eriksen and Chadli that were worth it we could have afford them any way.This buy young sell high is about tangible assets on a balance sheet. I think it has its place, with room for more creative thinking. Let's call it the Van der vart model. High end perhaps unfulfilled promise players looking to prove something. They are not playing for "The" move (Madrid/Barca) but think they should have had it and want to win something to back it up. This could be Zaha, and there are a few others in European football that are in this mode we should consider. Time for a bit more nuance.

Like the logic, but don't think Palace would accept £45-50m. If they would then he would already by a lily-white as we would have paid it last July (I think). He signed that contract in August as the transfer window shut and that puts him the £60-70m bracket. Your logic is spot on if the numbers were £45-50m. My assumption about financial model was in the higher range though.

Here's his stats.....
18/19 - 12 goals, 4 assists.....36 games started
17/18 - 11 goals, 4 assists......36 games started, 2 sub
16/17 - 7 goals, 9 assists........35 games started, 2 sub

I can argue that these stats would be way better in a top 6 team though. I also get that he might find his happy place at Spurs and thrive for a number of years versus the nonsense we've seen with the want away stars.

Like the logic, but don't think Palace would accept £45-50m. If they would then he would already by a lily-white as we would have paid it last July (I think). He signed that contract in August as the transfer window shut and that puts him the £60-70m bracket. Your logic is spot on if the numbers were £45-50m. My assumption about financial model was in the higher range though.

Here's his stats.....
18/19 - 12 goals, 4 assists.....36 games started
17/18 - 11 goals, 4 assists......36 games started, 2 sub
16/17 - 7 goals, 9 assists........35 games started, 2 sub

I can argue that these stats would be way better in a top 6 team though. I also get that he might find his happy place at Spurs and thrive for a number of years versus the nonsense we've seen with the want away stars.

I'm going to go ITK on you mate. He wants the move to Spurs over the other options. I know his relationship with Parish and Palace is strong. But that good will in his mind goes both ways. So it depends how much place do to facilitate the move. I think we could be talking at 55( but that's my gut not info). You also nicely prese my thoughts on transfer strategy. "Happg place as opposed to want away."

I have given up on Lamela now. I wanted him to succeed. I thought when we got him he was going to be a bit like Anderton. Goals, great vision. But he just isn't reliable enough anymore (much like Anderton). He has moments, and I like the way when he does play he puts himself about a bit.
It's just that the premier league and all that comes with it doesn't seem to suit him. Which is a bit sad as he seems like a good lad who has worked hard to get fit time and time again. He is taking up a valuable place in the squad -and I imagine his wages are up with the top ten or so. Time to move on.

Think about it logically

He’s a back up to the first 11

He’s never fit when the first 11 need rotating

I don’t dislike the bloke, it’s just a complete waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.