Erik Lamela - Former Player Thread | Vital Football

Erik Lamela - Former Player Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Departed

Ben Pearce just tweeted that MP said the current plan is to bring him back from Roma in a week but wouldn't commit to when he would play again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ex was saying the other day we wouldn't see him again this season, not sure what it's all about.

Big Chiv - 12/1/2017 18:40

Ex was saying the other day we wouldn't see him again this season, not sure what it's all about.

I saw that. I've read a lot of speculation about it. It is an odd situation.

From Poch

“Everyone else apart from Lamela is fit and we’ll arrive on Saturday in good condition,” the Spurs boss said.

“Lamela is doing well but (is) still away for another week to finish his recovery. It’s important he feels well and recovers.”

It can only be a mental state issue in my mind.
Whatever the issue with his brother is/was, I think it's clearly a bigger deal/issue than we think.

The hip injury can't be so bad that he needs to fly to Roma!

Spesh-Spur - 13/1/2017 10:37

Whatever the issue with his brother is/was, I think it's clearly a bigger deal/issue than we think.

I read somewhere that he had surgery on the hip. Do we know any details on the nature of the injury?

Spesh-Spur - 13/1/2017 18:37

Hip injuries can be very complicated, and it's not easy recovering from one. If rushed, it may return often - as was the case with Dembo's hip injury.

Pollo - 14/1/2017 09:59

Spesh-Spur - 13/1/2017 18:37

Hip injuries can be very complicated, and it's not easy recovering from one. If rushed, it may return often - as was the case with Dembo's hip injury.

Exactly so, I really do think that as he's not hitting his recovery targets the season may be all but over by the time he's fit enough to play again.

Hope I'm wrong.

does he get into our current best first 11? if so for who?

This injury coinciding with our formation switch could be the end of him in a Spurs shirt and I say that as someone who thought he was one of our most useful players last season.

freundorfoe - 16/1/2017 11:48

This injury coinciding with our formation switch could be the end of him in a Spurs shirt and I say that as someone who thought he was one of our most useful players last season.

I suspect it will all depend on how he comes out of this injury, if it slows him down then I suspect he'll struggle badly.

We need fighting quality options no matter what formation we play; it's a lesson we have learnt from our abject failure in the CL this season - he's not the greatest, but he's far from the worst (as some would have you believe)...

I'd like him back and fighting fit.

Why would you want someone who would weaken the team comes into our starting 11? Is it so difficult for you to accept that he’s not missed & not good enough?

I can't see Lamela displacing either Dele or Christian in our best eleven based on their current form. That Said I do think the new system would suit Lamela and while he might not be an automatic first choice he would be good as spot starter of off the bench.

edit. This assumes of course that he fully recovers from the hip injury and there is no lasting impact to his mobility.

RichmondSpur - 16/1/2017 17:41

Why would you want someone who would weaken the team comes into our starting 11? Is it so difficult for you to accept that he’s not missed & not good enough?

Even by your standards that was an odd post. Did you actually read what I wrote?

Nick Real Deal - 18/1/2017 08:13

I would say not quite in our best 11 at the moment but a good sub or rotational option for Alli and Eriksen.

The way I see it too , I like Lamela, but since the switch to 3 at the back I couldn't see him in that 1st eleven at the moment.

Big Chiv - 18/1/2017 10:15

Nick Real Deal - 18/1/2017 08:13

I would say not quite in our best 11 at the moment but a good sub or rotational option for Alli and Eriksen.

The way I see it too , I like Lamela, but since the switch to 3 at the back I couldn't see him in that 1st eleven at the moment.

We need quality in depth if we are to maintain the gap that we've closed with the rest of the bigger clubs.

We can argue all day long about who we should or shouldn't have, but for now, we need to make the best of what weve got and be as competitive as we can be with our limited financial resources.

Completely agree - just not sure if he'll stick around long term if he's no longer in the first 11. He's clearly got family in Italy which is why he keeps rehabbing over there and whilst he's denied wanting to leave each time he's been linked with a move away that will probably change if he can be first team for a Serie A club and only be a sub/rotation option here.

Also can't see Poch/the club wanting two £30M players on the bench who play the same position. Neither Lamela nor Sissoko get into our current first 11. If Lamela is going to be injured between 1/3-1/2 of the time he's with us I can see Poch giving up on him. This is all assuming we stick with the current formation and it carries on working.

For now I'd love him back on the bench and if Eriksen got injured Lamela would be my first choice to come in for him if fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.