Equals: Police on My Back and Talking Heads: Building on Fire

jokerman

Vital Football Hero
You could have them playing at the same time. Just about fit

When my love
(police on my back)
Stands next to your love
(police on my back)

You will now never be able to listen to one, without hearing the other.

DJ jokerman mixin in de Blues Rock Cafe!

But here's an embarrassing admission, until reading your post I'd always thought that, 'Police on my Back', was a song by The Clash!

I'm not sure how I've managed to miss The Equals's song all the years but the excitement of hearing the original is quite similar to how I felt as a young teenager when I was told I should check out Junior Marvin's original (and superior, imo anyway), 'Police and Thieves'.

I'm now off to plug in the speakers and listen to The Equals on youtube!

And I'm completely ignoring Talking Heads. For now at least.

Last edited:
Police and Thieves - Junior Marvin, one of my all times greats, always gives you that buzz whenever you ever hear it (can't help but move to it) fu***ing magic :thumbup:

Last edited:
DJ jokerman mixin in de Blues Rock Cafe!

But here's an embarrassing admission, until reading your post I'd always thought that, 'Police on my Back', was a song by The Clash!

I'm not sure how I've managed to miss The Equals's song all the years but the excitement of hearing the original is quite similar to how I felt as a young teenager when I was told I should check out Junior Marvin's original (and superior, imo anyway), 'Police and Thieves'.

I'm now off to plug in the speakers and listen to The Equals on youtube!

And I'm completely ignoring Talking Heads. For now at least.
How can you ignore Talking Heads? One of the best bands ever, everyone thinks Will I am is a bonkers genius type but David Byrne had that nailed down in the 70's and is still rocking it in his 60's.
Have a watch of American Utopia (on netflix I think). Man's a genius.
I will have a listen to Police on my back though, sounds interesting as Building on fire is one of my favourites 👌

Buddha - Sure you know it, but try The Law - Andy Capp. True old school ska/blue beat. I even like side B (when I'm pissed) think many people will find it torturous. Give a spin, let me know. :coolio:

How can you ignore Talking Heads? One of the best bands ever, everyone thinks Will I am is a bonkers genius type but David Byrne had that nailed down in the 70's and is still rocking it in his 60's.
I will have a listen to Police on my back though, sounds interesting as Building on fire is one of my favourites 👌

I'm not really a fan but do like a number of their songs. I've perhaps ignored them too much and should listen to some more.

With you on that Nobby. I saw them at Hammersmith Palais circa 1980. Tina Weymouth playing too. Great stuff.

I listened to The Equal's version and I liked it. The voices are more polished than Strummer's. But there's something about The Clash's version which appeals to me more, probably that it sounds more raw and punkified (is that a word?!) than the original.

Btw, if anyone's interested there's a new posthumous Joe Strummer LP being released later this month....

I listened to The Equal's version and I liked it. The voices are more polished than Strummer's. But there's something about The Clash's version which appeals to me more, probably that it sounds more raw and punkified (is that a word?!) than the original.

Btw, if anyone's interested there's a new posthumous Joe Strummer LP being released later this month....

I'll look out for that! Joe was great with the 101ers, brilliant with Jones in the Clash and (imho) brilliant again with the Mescaleros.

Police and Thieves - Junior Marvin, one of my all times greats, always gives you that buzz whenever you ever hear it (can't help but move to it) fu***ing magic :thumbup:
Try the Dub version. Fantastic when you're stoned.

Sadly I gave up smoking completely in 2007 so won't get that 'high' again.
:-)

Try the Dub version. Fantastic when you're stoned.

Sadly I gave up smoking completely in 2007 so won't get that 'high' again.
:-)

You're right, it is. I love playig dub when the sun is shining and I have some top grade spud.

You can get high without smoking, '58. Get yourself a vaporizer or just eat the spuds. There are some great recipes, all sorts of tasty treats. Be careful not to have too much though; it's nowhere near as easy to regulate your consumption and whilst you'll never OD to the point of death, too much can be a very unnerving experience, especially if you're not an experienced and/or regular user.

Just tried the Dub version (first time I've heard it) would be good after a very, very long heavy night on the piss, or as you say high as a kite :whist: