Equal Rights For Caterpillars | Vital Football

Equal Rights For Caterpillars

Anyone seen M&S (Colin the Caterpillar) taking Aldi (Cuthbert) to court :lol:

Sainsbury (and no doubt others) also do ones... Cecil, Curly, Clive.

Equal rights for all caterpillars.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-56768197

The aldi social media is good!

Lidl are getting taken to court down this neck of the woods aswell.
A high end Cornish butchers of many years standing, Philip Warren discovered that Lidl is producing a range of meat products and calling it Warrens Tradititional Butchers Produce.
The quality is crap, and Philip Warren butchers are receiving complaints about its link up with Lidl, and the poor quality of the produce.
I will keep you informed.

Oh and legally, I think they lose a credible argument just going for Aldi, as opposed to the Tesco, Sainsbury and I'm sure other companies who also do this.

I think they are trying to angle it as a 'test case' as when questioned on it all they would say is they haven't ruled out further action against others.

Dodgy ground though on copyright terms...they are never going to win the 'customers fooled' aspect as you know whether you're in Aldi or not!

I also believe Aldi haven't sold this product since February - just not sure if it was case related or not?

I think they are trying to angle it as a 'test case' as when questioned on it all they would say is they haven't ruled out further action against others.

Dodgy ground though on copyright terms...they are never going to win the 'customers fooled' aspect as you know whether you're in Aldi or not!

I also believe Aldi haven't sold this product since February - just not sure if it was case related or not?

Yes, looks like a warning salvo to me, trying to put off companies doing it in the future, I fail to see how they can, after all this time, halt it though and Aldi have run on this sort of thing for over a decade and always got around the issue legally.

I did watch a programme on them, I think there might be a thread so will try to find it, giving the legal reason they could get away with it, but brain ache addled memory can't recall how!

No, can't find it, it was something to do with the name being able to be copyrighted but it is more difficult to copyright an idea I think.

This is half decent:

https://www.citma.org.uk/resources/...rkets-get-away-with-lookalike-own-brands.html

and from

Copyright deals with creative works, like novels and movies and plays and art and music. Mass-produced products are not copyrighted (i.e. you can copyright the descriptive text on your box of cereal, but the actual cereal cannot be copyrighted).

Patents deal with new and novel processes or inventions. In general, recipes cannot be patented, because they're not considered "novel" (i.e. any chef could easily think of modifying an existing recipe to get the new product).

What Aldi (and other grocery store chains) have to avoid doing is violating other companies' trademarks. That is, they cannot name or label their products in such a way that the consumer could be easily confused to think that it's a different brand.

Yup, there's enough of a difference on all those points - not least you know if you're shopping in Aldi or M&S - so don't see how their 'purports to be the same standard or a copy of our product' line can work here.

Yup, there's enough of a difference on all those points - not least you know if you're shopping in Aldi or M&S - so don't see how their 'purports to be the same standard or a copy of our product' line can work here.

I would certainly know if I was in Aldi I was getting better quality than the over priced junk M&S sell ! I have the whole M&S set up, so fuddy duddy, the food is no better but 30% more expensive and so on. Just so outdated and the men's clothes, fuck me, do people really want just beige and grey!

Aldi rip a lot of brands off with their versions of products, bottled beers being another example.