Enough is Enough | Page 4 | Vital Football

Enough is Enough

Chester was carried by Terry last year which made him look half decent now he’s showing he’s really not very good.

I disagree completely if there is one thing I've noticed is there are two types of centre backs; the ones who inspire confidence and ones who need it.

Terry didnt carry him but for sure Chester knew who could rely on Terry and had confidence in his ability to pick up the pieces if a mistake was made. Chester is playing in a ropey as fuck backline so his confidence is shot and he isnt the type who displays those levels of confidence himself.

I remember Curtis Davies being an exceptional defender beside Laursen but immediately went to the dogs when Laursen got injured.

You need two reliable center backs or it all goes to shit.

Last season Chester was great and ended up winning player of the season. The year before he was solid again (without JT alongside him). The guy is playing with an injury, he needs a break to recover.

OK, this is a provocative question, what's the difference between Dean Smith and Tim Sherwood?

Smith is a proper coach with a set philosophy. Timmy to his credit could get certain players motivated but didn't seem to have a clue when it came to tactics. A bit of a chancer.

So where do we find another pair like Ken McNaught and Allen Evans??
Dunfermline and Everton? :grinning:
But in all seriousness that brings up a good point. McNaught in his own right was a limited player, but paired with Evans it was the perfect combination. Same with Shaun Teale being paired with God.
A centre back partnership is very often not about the abilities of each individual but on how well they play together. In the old days it was always about having a pacy reader of the game alongside a brute-force tackler who won the ball in the air...

Dunfermline and Everton? :grinning:
But in all seriousness that brings up a good point. McNaught in his own right was a limited player, but paired with Evans it was the perfect combination. Same with Shaun Teale being paired with God.
A centre back partnership is very often not about the abilities of each individual but on how well they play together. In the old days it was always about having a pacy reader of the game alongside a brute-force tackler who won the ball in the air...

Agreed. Ken McNaught would be getting pelters on here as when he first joined he struggled for form , but when he paired up with Allan Evans it all gelled.

They made the perfect partnership.

Agreed. Ken McNaught would be getting pelters on here as when he first joined he struggled for form , but when he paired up with Allan Evans it all gelled.

They made the perfect partnership.
Remember when Ken was paired up with Brendan Ormsby? Ouch!

In what way? So are you saying we are only good enough to attract Dean Smith? Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Yes I am

No it isn't is it .

But...

Who do you think we can attract as a mid table championship club who is in their third year of scrabbling to get back up following relegation.

Yes I am

No it isn't is it .

But...

Who do you think we can attract as a mid table championship club who is in their third year of scrabbling to get back up following relegation.

yep I kind of agree, and I concur with your realism about our current situation. Maybe that will be the way forward when the club and the fans stop believing that we belong in the Premiership, but we have to earn it.