Enjoy... | Vital Football

Enjoy...

Some top memories in that Mc

Although I was at a few of them (a blurry image of me going crackers amongst the throng celebrating Budgie’s pen save at joker always makes me smile!) if I had to pick one it would be Everton away for me. You can more or less get the full game on you tube and we are belting it out non-stop. Pity the season lasted 50 seconds!

Everton away for me as well Finn - that was the first away game I went to on my own as my mates didn't fancy it

What made it even better was on the night there was a birthday party on at one of the local clubs - I didn't get back till about 9ish but was tret like a hero off the lasses and didn't have to buy a pint all night just for 'daring' to go to an away game on me todd haha

Happy days

I think I've said this before but that video totally encapsulates why I fell in love with this club - it had fuck all to do with the quality of football

Some memories in there.

The '84 Cup game at Anfield, wasn't there, too young, but a group of us as young teenagers met at a Liverpool supporting mate's house for the game. He used to come to Nufc away games with me and I went to a few Lfc away games with him. The neutrals basically said " never knew Newcastle fans were that good, unbelievable!" Liverpool fan nodded and said, "I did." That made me happy on a sad night 🤣.

Budgie away at Roker. Didn't have tickets, drove up with brother on the off chance of getting two outside the ground. Really fucking edgy atmosphere outside the back of the Roker End. We split up to see who could get two, never been so pleased to see his beaming face saying he'd got two in our end just to get inside.

Spurs in the FA Cup 87, I didn't go, family were on a weekend break in London and I was deemed just old enough to stay at home, so took the chance to invite a girl from college around for the weekend 🤣. Result for me. Dad and brother went to WHL, brother was 21 and able to look after himself, said it was scary though and was genuinely concerned for our Dad. Our fans who were there often say it could have been our "Hillborough", I get it. I was at Hillsborough 88, year before the disaster, with Liverpool mate. Unbelievably scary in the Leppings Lane. Same two teams, same venue. Thankfully on that fateful day in 89 I was at Highbury, even though we lost 1-0, which is insignificant.

Peterborough away 😅🤣😅. What a weekend.

Not sure which Everton away game this was. Was it the 4-0 when Cottee scored 3? 4? When we were going to win the league with Beasant, Robertson and Thorne? I wasn't there for that one but was when we lost 3-0, I think, similar time, Wayne somebody scored a few.

Good times.

I was at the 74 semi final that was a fucking magic day. I used to play rugby at the weekends in the 80s so didn’t get to many away games. Went to a few including Swindon my mate supports them away, when I gave up playing. Always love the atmosphere in the away end. Palace away a few times and Fulham they have a neutral part where you can sit/ stand. More away than home supporters in that section.

Some memories in there.

The '84 Cup game at Anfield, wasn't there, too young, but a group of us as young teenagers met at a Liverpool supporting mate's house for the game. He used to come to Nufc away games with me and I went to a few Lfc away games with him. The neutrals basically said " never knew Newcastle fans were that good, unbelievable!" Liverpool fan nodded and said, "I did." That made me happy on a sad night 🤣.

Budgie away at Roker. Didn't have tickets, drove up with brother on the off chance of getting two outside the ground. Really fucking edgy atmosphere outside the back of the Roker End. We split up to see who could get two, never been so pleased to see his beaming face saying he'd got two in our end just to get inside.

Spurs in the FA Cup 87, I didn't go, family were on a weekend break in London and I was deemed just old enough to stay at home, so took the chance to invite a girl from college around for the weekend 🤣. Result for me. Dad and brother went to WHL, brother was 21 and able to look after himself, said it was scary though and was genuinely concerned for our Dad. Our fans who were there often say it could have been our "Hillborough", I get it. I was at Hillsborough 88, year before the disaster, with Liverpool mate. Unbelievably scary in the Leppings Lane. Same two teams, same venue. Thankfully on that fateful day in 89 I was at Highbury, even though we lost 1-0, which is insignificant.

Peterborough away 😅🤣😅. What a weekend.

Not sure which Everton away game this was. Was it the 4-0 when Cottee scored 3? 4? When we were going to win the league with Beasant, Robertson and Thorne? I wasn't there for that one but was when we lost 3-0, I think, similar time, Wayne somebody scored a few.

Good times.
Good post Neppos - that Everton game in the video is the 4-0 and Cottee hattrick ‘88. The 3-0 was Wayne Clarke (who was centre-spread in the programme I remember cos a lad with us was saying “no way is he Everton class” to these blue noses before the game lol) and he got all 3- it might have been the year they were runners up to Liverpool in league and cup so think that was ‘86? I was at both and, from a football point of view, both were disasters. Yet I wouldn’t miss them for the world and remember them fondly.
Wasn’t at that Peterborough game in video (Sheedy?) but been twice there and that was belting standing in there. Few jazz cigarettes for those games- particularly FA cup.
Been Millmoor (what a dump) but again not that game.
Not at Spurs for that cup game. Heard it was VERY scary and not a laughing matter at all.

Last edited:
Everton away for me as well Finn - that was the first away game I went to on my own as my mates didn't fancy it

What made it even better was on the night there was a birthday party on at one of the local clubs - I didn't get back till about 9ish but was tret like a hero off the lasses and didn't have to buy a pint all night just for 'daring' to go to an away game on me todd haha

Happy days

I think I've said this before but that video totally encapsulates why I fell in love with this club - it had fuck all to do with the quality of football

hahaha good stuff!!

Good post Neppos - that Everton game in the video is the 4-0 and Cottee hattrick ‘88. The 3-0 was Wayne Clarke (who was centre-spread in the programme I remember cos a lad with us was saying “no way is he Everton class” to these blue noses before the game lol) and he got all 3- it might have been the year they were runners up to Liverpool in league and cup so think that was ‘86? I was at both and, from a football point of view, both were disasters. Yet I wouldn’t miss them for the world and remember them fondly.
Wasn’t at that Peterborough game in video (Sheedy?) but been twice there and that was belting standing in there. Few jazz cigarettes for those games- particularly FA cup.
Been Millmoor (what a dump) but again not that game.
Not at Spurs for that cup game. Heard it was VERY scary and not a laughing matter at all.

Yeah, that would make sense. I know my Liverpool mate was with them away at OT on the same day we were at Goodison and they went on to win the league.

Yeah, I looked it up aswell. Second half hat-trick!

And yes, the Pboro game in the clip was the Sheedy 1-0, 92/3 promotion season. That game was in the opening run of ten wins so would have been autumn 92. Was also there promotion season 09/10, Easter Saturday I think. Barton scored a free kick from just outside the area, in a 3-0 win? My memory is better from 30 years ago than 10🙄. Plenty there that day, they even opened up an old 80s style nightclub next to the ground to cater for our fans on a Saturday lunchtime! Not as manic as the 92/3 game though, 7,000 there that day with a fair few locked out (or redirected to home end 😉)

3-2 I think Neppos in that promotion year? I was at that and think that was score? Mind - I was more bolloxed at that one than I was in the FA Cup game 4-2

3-2 I think Neppos in that promotion year? I was at that and think that was score? Mind - I was more bolloxed at that one than I was in the FA Cup game 4-2

Yeah it was 3-2, I'd totally obliterated 2 Pboro goals from my memory.

There were 1,600 fewer fans at that game than the 92/3 game in total, and it felt like it in a small ground. Obvious reasons really, in 92 we'd just avoided relegation to Div 3 and had won the first seven games of the next season, having been down for four years. In 2010 we won the league by 11 points so would have been pretty much assured of promotion by Easter. A lot wouldn't have bothered with family commitments etc. Still a great turnout but definitely more breathing space than 92 🙂