England | Vital Football

England

I know it’s only San Marino but we are showing quicker feet than usual in these types of games.

I forgot we were even playing to be honest.

Also, how do we have both San Marino AND Andorra in our group? I thought you only had to play matches against one minnow?

Should be 4-0 already, had no idea what colour our keeper was wearing until 30 seconds ago.

Pointless game, but I don't begrudge the minnows their chance to play the bigger nations.
I dont see the point of it at all. What do we learn from these games? Are they interesting? Does the team really gel that much when playing against this tosh? Do they really make that much from TV rights for these games? I just can't see how they make sense at all for anyone.

In Rugby, the Tier 1 teams play about 3-4 games against the Tier 2/3 teams. Makes for some great rivalries amongst the 10 best teams at international level and almost every game is a real challenge, and a real 'test' (hence the name i guess).

Similar population to Strood. Even bigger difference than chatham town v man city.

Still at least we are playing at pace so good practice match and Jessie is looking better.

I dont see the point of it at all. What do we learn from these games? Are they interesting? Does the team really gel that much when playing against this tosh? Do they really make that much from TV rights for these games? I just can't see how they make sense at all for anyone.
In Rugby, the Tier 1 teams play about 3-4 games against the Tier 2/3 teams. Makes for some great rivalries amongst the 10 best teams at international level and almost every game is a real challenge, and a real 'test' (hence the name i guess).

We have that for the euros now with the league system but this is fifa

I like goals, so I find games such as these mildly diverting. ANY game of football is, for me, better than no game of football.

I've always quite liked ridiculously one-sided games though, I blame an old Danny Baker VHS "Right Hammerings" that I had as a kid. I once went to watch my local non league side play the team at the bottom of the table who'd lost all 25 matches that season and shipped 170-odd goals in the process. Imagine everyone's surprise when said team took the lead. They ended up losing 10-1 and their keeper made a hattrick of penalty saves. What was learned? Nothing. Did I enjoy it? Damn right I did.

I do tend to agree, however I suppose for the players of San Marino it is a big event. Watching the next generation of England players against a national side is interesting too.

I though it was discussed a few years ago that the minnows should have to play in a qualifying league, with the winners to join the actual groups. Obviously nothing came of it.

I remember in the early 80s as a kid the likes of Turkey, Finland, Iceland, Czechs and even Greece were all classed as minnows and the “cannon fodder” of qualifying groups. Obviously they all get their act together in the end. Greece even won the euros of course in the 90s.

I will admit that San Marino are taking their time to get it together though.............

In the spirit if diversity and inclusiveness for underdogs etc should we not give san Marino be given a few goals lead?

FIFA is always wanting to expand the World Cup, not reduce it, so it’s more likely we will be playing more games like this than less. Every time we play them someone suggests there should be a pre-qualifying tournament for the minnows, but it never happens.

We have that for the euros now with the league system but this is fifa
In Rugby, the way they do it is that if you qualify for the QFs of the world cup, you don't need to qualify next time around. Ultimately, only the Tier 2 nations really end up doing qualifying. Sounds fair to me to be honest.

Unfortunately you'll never find FIFA members voting for that, as it will mean they lose some big incomes when they play the top well known countries.

I do tend to agree, however I suppose for the players of San Marino it is a big event. Watching the next generation of England players against a national side is interesting too.

I though it was discussed a few years ago that the minnows should have to play in a qualifying league, with the winners to join the actual groups. Obviously nothing came of it.

I remember in the early 80s as a kid the likes of Turkey, Finland, Iceland, Czechs and even Greece were all classed as minnows and the “cannon fodder” of qualifying groups. Obviously they all get their act together in the end. Greece even won the euros of course in the 90s.

I will admit that San Marino are taking their time to get it together though.............
Greece won it in 2004

I like goals, so I find games such as these mildly diverting. ANY game of football is, for me, better than no game of football.

I've always quite liked ridiculously one-sided games though, I blame an old Danny Baker VHS "Right Hammerings" that I had as a kid. I once went to watch my local non league side play the team at the bottom of the table who'd lost all 25 matches that season and shipped 170-odd goals in the process. Imagine everyone's surprise when said team took the lead. They ended up losing 10-1 and their keeper made a hattrick of penalty saves. What was learned? Nothing. Did I enjoy it? Damn right I did.
Hat trick of penalty saves you say?

Hmmmm, I wonder........🤔

It was a bit of a non-event last night, but job done - we could and should have stuck away 8, 9 or 10, but a very comfortable 5-0, which probably flattered San Marino, is very much job done. Sensible for Southgate to rest our key players with a potentially tricky away game v Albania and a more important game against Poland next week. Good to see some young players get a chance and I must say that in the first half we created a raft of chances and cut through San Marino a lot easier than we have them and other minnows in recent times. A good build up to Euro 2021 and the World Cup next year.

In Rugby, the way they do it is that if you qualify for the QFs of the world cup, you don't need to qualify next time around. Ultimately, only the Tier 2 nations really end up doing qualifying. Sounds fair to me to be honest.

Unfortunately you'll never find FIFA members voting for that, as it will mean they lose some big incomes when they play the top well known countries.

Way fewer countries play rugby, which makes a big difference but I take your point. It's not just the cash that FIFA is mesmerised by either. Blatter and co ran their cosy money making machine by harvesting the votes of minor nations, who were bribed with relatively small grants from the central body and the kudos of games against the big boys. Televison can always fill schedules with more pointless games boosted by hysterical promotion.