England v Nigeria | Vital Football

England v Nigeria

PerthImp

Vital Football Hero
Just watched the game. First half:- Liked the formation Southgate is trying and there was some lovely play/good posession, etc. Not sure sure Trippier and Young are the best options to play the wide role (unless Young plays on the right). Why are our (supposedly) top Premiership/International players, who command huge fees and wages, unable to play football with both feet? Are they part-timers? Do they not practice enough to be comfortable using both feet during all their training? Do the coaches not encourage and work with them to use their 'standing' foot more creatively? Lost count of the number of times players switched onto their favoured foot (predictable) when a quick pass or shot with their unfavoured foot would have clearly had a much more positive result.

First half was really promising, big fan of what Southgate’s trying to do. Not many positives from the second half aside from Loftus-Cheek, I like him.

To be honest i had absolutely no idea this was on until i saw the result. Is anyone else completely unbothered about England at the WC?

Good start to second half - Iwobi start the move off with a RIGHT-footed pass, then follows up with a first-time, LEFT-footed shot. ???

I mean Iwobi moved here when he was four, so can’t be that being brought up in England makes you one footed. I did think the balance on the left was a bit odd yesterday though with the times Young got in down the flank only to check back.

I barely watched it to be honest i was doing a jeff! Unbelievable i know but the cricket was quite good yesterday!

Really looking forward to the World Cup. Premier league completely uninterests me.

I'm looking.forward to the WC too, but i've completely.lost interest in England, they are just another team in the tournament as far as i'm concerened. Maybe i'll get a bit more patriotic once it starts!

So it looks like Stones and Dier are playing an interchangeable role between midfield and defence - either that or they're both going walkabout!!! I'll give Southgate the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

Last edited:
For what its worth, some views on some aspects of the team and the game:

Interesting formation from Southgate. Moved the ball about well and got into some good scoring positions. Sterling is the most frustrating player to watch. He gets into some superb positions, but he should scor more often from them. Dier and Kane good and some others reasonably good, such as Cahill. Not convinced by Trippier, Young (maybe in that role) and especially STONES - how does this man continue to play for England. He really is clueless. Ball watches, dithers about, plays balls to his team mates when they have an opponent bearing down on them, stops when he thinks he should get a FK instead of playing to the whistle and goes absent inside his own box instead of picking up and challenging opponents. We need an old-fashioned, uncompromising CB who will defend at all costs and not worry about playing pretty football. I wonder how we will fare against the likes of Germany, Argentina, Spain, etc. let alone some surprise packages among the developing international teams. Oh well, lets see how the team develops over the next week or two.

I'm looking.forward to the WC too, but i've completely.lost interest in England, they are just another team in the tournament as far as i'm concerened. Maybe i'll get a bit more patriotic once it starts!
It won't hurt. Patriotism at the world cup is like a heavy cold, you are generally over the worst of it in a week or so.

Stones is one of those massively hyped players that you just don't get. The lad plays for the footballing God that is Pep, so must have something about him. I'm not sure what that is though!
Neal Eardley can play left back, go on the outside, and occasionally put in a decent ball with his left peg. How someone of a similar age, having played at the top level of the game for most of his career, cannot Is an absolute disgrace.
We will scrape through the group and, as usual, bomb out against the first half-decent side we meet. English football is massive wages, massive hype and massive disappointment.

Stones is one of those massively hyped players that you just don't get. The lad plays for the footballing God that is Pep, so must have something about him. I'm not sure what that is though!
Neal Eardley can play left back, go on the outside, and occasionally put in a decent ball with his left peg. How someone of a similar age, having played at the top level of the game for most of his career, cannot Is an absolute disgrace.
We will scrape through the group and, as usual, bomb out against the first half-decent side we meet. English football is massive wages, massive hype and massive disappointment.
Not sure I agree with the last bit anymore. I don’t think there’s much hype about our players, perhaps too little for some of them

Only watch the last 20 mins , seen more excitement in a slug crossing the road. No interest at all , and the WC , I'm on holiday for most of it .

i think dier swaps with stones when we are thinking of taking it off the keeper at the back. if that is the case, just drop stones and play dier in the central centre back position.
anyone left-footed instead of young
sterling and welbeck are both fast but finishing is not international class. remind me of walcott.
not convinced the keeper is any more sensible that hart, why was he punting long balls in the second half?
alli, kane, rashford and loftus-cheek have some possibilities )))

stones hardly gets tested defensively in the premier league games...