England v Kiwis | Page 8 | Vital Football

England v Kiwis

Neither would have been near a test team 20 yrs ago. Can't see the Yorkshire crowd getting behind them. Fisher would have been ahead of them except for injuries -which is why thy are near.
Robinson, Stone, Archer, Fisher all out injured -what would they have done in the days of FS Trueman when you bowled more overs in a week than they do in a season??-hence they get a glimpse of glory
It sounds like the Headingley crowd are really behind Overton(post 135) & Jonny with the way they are both smashing the ball all over the ground. This series has been CRACKERS but also Chuffing FANTASTIC entertainment. UTB

It sounds like the Headingley crowd are really behind Jonny & Overton(post 135) with the way they are both smashing the ball all over the ground. This series has been CRACKERS but also Chuffing FANTASTIC entertainment. UTB
After 55 -6 to this they'd cheer anybody who got us back into the game Rod.
As you say this is barmy cricket - over 5 an over - and now it's fingers crossed for the lad who can't bat- but is just the 24th England player ever to get over 5000 test runs.

After 55 -6 to this they'd cheer anybody who got us back into the game Rod.
As you say this is barmy cricket - over 5 an over - and now it's fingers crossed for the lad who can't bat- but is just the 24th England player ever to get over 5000 test runs.
On TMS a while ago they said England's last 503 runs in Test cricket had come of 83 overs,WOW,they'd do well to beat that in white ball cricket. UTB

Get in Jonny

EDIT 1st time one player has made consecutive test hundreds off less than 100 balls.

Last edited:
I'm up in God's own county for a couple of weeks so only catching the highlights. What a performance from Johhny and Jamie! Highest ever 7th wicket partnership. They were as good with the bat as the rest were crap!

I’ve just watched the highlights bowling first why did Overton start with the short stuff never mind carry on surely stokes knows how headingley plays he got hit around the ground and it was self inflicted. As for the fielding I thought it for while now and it’s been commented on the last few series our slip cordon is too narrow they’re on top of each other and that’s why you get drops like jonnys when they go too late cos they don’t know who’s ball it is spread out ffs they only have to look how that great Aussie side set up they would add another 8/10 feet to ours.
well what to say about the batting boult was on fire but some of them didn’t hinder his assault one bit as for stokes plenty find it entertaining I find it infuriating it’s the let’s run down and nail a few cows dad his reply being let’s walk down and nail all of them 18 runs in 3 overs is what I expect a bowler whose slogging to get like southee not a class batsman like stokes somebody needs to have a word with him but who ? Only mccullum or joe could say owt but it’s even harder now he’s captain, as for Jonny rode his luck once or twice could have gone the same way as stokes but got the rub of the green then played masterfully and was ably abetted by Overton who played a great innings I hope he reaches his ton tomorrow and I hope we temper the aggression slightly nothing wrong with playing positively but it’s reckless at times and although it will come off occasionally as we have seen I think it ultimately will fail more than succeed

I’ve just watched the highlights bowling first why did Overton start with the short stuff never mind carry on surely stokes knows how headingley plays he got hit around the ground and it was self inflicted. As for the fielding I thought it for while now and it’s been commented on the last few series our slip cordon is too narrow they’re on top of each other and that’s why you get drops like jonnys when they go too late cos they don’t know who’s ball it is spread out ffs they only have to look how that great Aussie side set up they would add another 8/10 feet to ours.
well what to say about the batting boult was on fire but some of them didn’t hinder his assault one bit as for stokes plenty find it entertaining I find it infuriating it’s the let’s run down and nail a few cows dad his reply being let’s walk down and nail all of them 18 runs in 3 overs is what I expect a bowler whose slogging to get like southee not a class batsman like stokes somebody needs to have a word with him but who ? Only mccullum or joe could say owt but it’s even harder now he’s captain, as for Jonny rode his luck once or twice could have gone the same way as stokes but got the rub of the green then played masterfully and was ably abetted by Overton who played a great innings I hope he reaches his ton tomorrow and I hope we temper the aggression slightly nothing wrong with playing positively but it’s reckless at times and although it will come off occasionally as we have seen I think it ultimately will fail more than succeed
Spot on Bully..well summed up pal.

I thought so 😁
You only missed out the bit where the 'world's best wicketkeeper' dived across 1st slip to prevent Joe pouching an easy one.He's a decent keeper but not as good as they want to make out.The pundits were falling over themselves to absolve him from blame and find excuses for what was there for all to see. They praised his athleticism, his dedication,his commitment for getting close to it.
What they didn't mention is that he should have been nowhere near it as iit was 1st slip's catch.

I agree about the others but Joe is in the classic 1st slip position and the rest should take their spacing from there. I think they get too close to each other because there's a tendency these days to get increasingly closer to the wicket to make sure the ball carries i.e they form a curved arc getting closer to the stumps at the 3rd/4th slip end when they should be more of a straight line.That's all to do with the pace of the pitch and they should adapt accordingly- that's why the Aussies stay spaced due to the carry on their harder pitches whilst we are still spacing the cordon as though we are in India.
Basic but obvious- except to the 30 coaches and analysts!

You only missed out the bit where the 'world's best wicketkeeper' dived across 1st slip to prevent Joe pouching an easy one.He's a decent keeper but not as good as they want to make out.The pundits were falling over themselves to absolve him from blame and find excuses for what was there for all to see. They praised his athleticism, his dedication,his commitment for getting close to it.
What they didn't mention is that he should have been nowhere near it as iit was 1st slip's catch.

I agree about the others but Joe is in the classic 1st slip position and the rest should take their spacing from there. I think they get too close to each other because there's a tendency these days to get increasingly closer to the wicket to make sure the ball carries i.e they form a curved arc getting closer to the stumps at the 3rd/4th slip end when they should be more of a straight line.That's all to do with the pace of the pitch and they should adapt accordingly- that's why the Aussies stay spaced due to the carry on their harder pitches whilst we are still spacing the cordon as though we are in India.
Players seem to be making a habit of making wondrous but failed dives in an attempt to pull off a worldy when there's a teammate stood there just waiting to take a simple catch. Something has basically gone wrong with the coaching, this isn't village green fair, these are very experienced players in the main who should know by instinct their positions and who's ball it is. That said, I have been impressed with Foakes so far but he has made mistakes in this test.

Players seem to be making a habit of making wondrous but failed dives in an attempt to pull off a worldy when there's a teammate stood there just waiting to take a simple catch. Something has basically gone wrong with the coaching, this isn't village green fair, these are very experienced players in the main who should know by instinct their positions and who's ball it is. That said, I have been impressed with Foakes so far but he has made mistakes in this test.
I get the impression that they don't do anything spontaneous GB.Just look at the plethora of stats available these days ( percentage of runs scored whilst the sun's shining against a left handed seamer bowling into the wind with a Dukes ball on the sub continent!!)
It's all dictated by the analysts .Remember the most precious commodity in the world can't be bought, sold or taught- and that commodity is common sense.

Re keepers - there was an interesting point made that , in test cricket, you either stand back to decent pace or stand up to spin i.e no up at the stumps to medium pacers as in county cricket( remember that!!) so the skill level needed is not so onerous.
That brings into question the need for a great keeper or not. Obviously the Irongloves Buttler type are far below the skill level needed! (BTW did you see him in the ODI's v Netherlands when he gathered the ball cleanly for a run out and MISSED the stumps with both hands to take the bails off???) That means that you can engineer an extra batsman/ bowler into the team if you have someone as decent as Jonny with the gloves in the side.
Interesting debate but, with the way Jonny has played without the gloves this year I'd stick with Foakes.
BTW Jonny has scored more test runs than Joe in this calendar year to date and is 2nd in the world rankings.

Gutted for Overton he deserved a ton after yesterdays exploits but he never looked comfortable today tbh probably nerves took hold can’t blame him on debut but such a shame he didn’t get there

Gutted for Overton he deserved a ton after yesterdays exploits but he never looked comfortable today tbh probably nerves took hold can’t blame him on debut but such a shame he didn’t get there
Real shame for him. Would have been the 1st in the world, batting below 6, to do it.
Time for a bit of long handle now.

EDIT Jonny goes for a magnificent 162. He came in at 17- 3 and left with 351 runs on the board, 334 added whilst he was there out of a total of 360.Not bad for a slogger - 7th fastest hundred and 2nd fastest 150 ever for England.

Last edited:

TT are you watching the game? I've just heard on TMS that our Joe has dropped a catch in the slips and he shudda caught it according to Tuffnell. I'm not having a dig at our Joe i just wondered if you'd seen the chance. UTB

Real shame for him. Would have been the 1st in the world, batting below 6, to do it.
Time for a bit of long handle now.

EDIT Jonny goes for a magnificent 162. He came in at 17- 3 and left with 351 runs on the board, 334 added whilst he was there out of a total of 360.Not bad for a slogger - 7th fastest hundred and 2nd fastest 150 ever for England.
He’d have probably beaten the 150 if it wasn’t for the overnight break
joe just dropped a simple catch at 1st slip off broad who isn’t happy not getting his 550th wicket

Perhaps that was our Joe saying fork you ya scab supporting twot to Broad.:ROFLMAO: UTB
Never seen Joe so angry on the pitch after that one . That's a couple this series now,very unusual- although he would have had one more if Foakes hadn't dived acros him yesterday.
Bowling's been too wayward Stoke's batting like a T20 and now got bowling figures to match- 4 overs for 30
He’d have probably beaten the 150 if it wasn’t for the overnight break
joe just dropped a simple catch at 1st slip off broad who isn’t happy not getting his 550th wicket
Good point Bully. Re starting after an overnight break slows you down.