England v Costa Rica | Page 4 | Vital Football

England v Costa Rica

There was a national journalist on Twitter earlier who reckoned he had been given the team for England's first game, and it was:

Pickford
Tripper
Walker
Stones
Maguire
Rose
Henderson
Ali
Lingard
Sterling
Kane

Surprised if anyone has it but can't be too far off as Dreaming of McAuley says. Wouldn't be surprised if Cahill played instead of Maguire but actually, in terms of form this season, hard to argue Cahill deserves to be in.

Interesting that it just has Henderson in, and not Dier as well.

I've not been Sterlings biggest fan in previous seasons. However this season he has really come of age, and i've been impressed. Both for Manchester City and England. Against Holland and Italy he played more of a central attacking midfield roll. A playmaker. I think he will be competing with Alli for that position, not as a striker, (but can do a job up front). Great talent and still a youngster. With Messi (31 in 2 weeks)and Ronaldo (33) having perhaps only a couple more years at the top, Sterling is capable (at just 23) of taking over from them as one of the best players in the world.
The scene is set at this World Cup for him to fulfil his potential.

Sterling (and Sane) have both shown this season how important it is to get at the back post when play is on the other side.

Do it consistently and there are a few tap-ins for you there.