England Squad | Vital Football

England Squad

Luke Imp

Alert Team
Staff member
Delph (ruled out a couple of weeks ago), Townsend and Drinkwater are cut from the squad.

Can't believe Barkley and Henderson get the nod over Drinkwater!

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United).

Can't believe that with Welbeck and Chamberlain injured and Walcott not even in the 26, he hasn't taken Townsend. Get ready for that old compromise of strikers playing as wingers. Such a waste of the likes of Vardy, Sturridge et al. We almost never play 2 up front so why take 5 strikers?!

Barkley very fortunate to get in as well. Was hopeful of us doing well but this looks like a very unbalanced squad.

Roy's job hangs on us doing reasonably well so he's taken a major risk in my view.

Wilshere and Henderson have been nowhere this season and Drinkwater has been outstanding. Townsend was "flying " at the end of the season. Roy's old favourites will flop again.......

Sturrige will not see the tournament out without stubbing his pinky toe. The Rolls Royce of the Liam Hearn world!

79imp - 31/5/2016 14:28

Can't believe that with Welbeck and Chamberlain injured and Walcott not even in the 26, he hasn't taken Townsend. Get ready for that old compromise of strikers playing as wingers. Such a waste of the likes of Vardy, Sturridge et al. We almost never play 2 up front so why take 5 strikers?!

Barkley very fortunate to get in as well. Was hopeful of us doing well but this looks like a very unbalanced squad.

Roy's job hangs on us doing reasonably well so he's taken a major risk in my view.

That's because Walcott is absolute pooe

Yeah, Walcott is just a glorified sprinter. He doesn't seem to have kicked on for years!

Drinkwater has been fantastic for Leicester and coupled with his understand with Vardy (like Kane and Alli), I'd have taken him over Barkley, who's had a stinker this season and Henderson who just runs around like a headless chicken and shouts at refs to appear 'passionate'.

Impster - 31/5/2016 14:57

79imp - 31/5/2016 14:28

That's because Walcott is absolute pooe

I don't deny that... although of course 'pooe' is relative... Compared to the 'pooe' I've seen on the wing for the imps for example...!! My point is we now only have one out of form winger in the squad and will likely be once again playing good players out of position.

Rashford should never have been taken in my view.

collingham imps - 31/5/2016 15:10

Taking a chance on Wilshere and Henderson - both Drinkwater and Townsend can count themselves very unlucky
What odds them two plus Sturridge getting injured either before or during the tournament?
Yet again an England manager picks his half fit favourites over in form fit players.
Mind the way things are going in France will it be on?

Vardy played wide the other week and was ineffective until he was moved to the middle. It's going to happen. Has to shoehorn them in somehow. It's what we always do. Wilshere will also start which is just wrong.

We should have taken Townsend to balance the squad and left Barkley out. Drinkwater deserves a place but hasn't really looked better than the rest in the friendlies so I kind of understand that one.

i would have definitely found a place for townsend.

agree on barkley... looked great about 18months ago but shouldn't be going... but then again what does milner do? lallana - 4 league goals this season!!? and henderson... never an international centre mid.

sturridge - sulker and not a team player.
sterling - can't go past a man... pace but no vision, like walcott.
alli - dodgy temperament.
hart - overconfident, always finds a new error, loves the pointless long kick.
hahahahha - the list goes on.

blimey it is going to be painful again.
cassandra's crystal balls prediction - sturridge, vardy and rashford all off the subs bench when we are desperate for an equaliser with ten to go...

england at tournaments is almost guaranteed frustration. lols

Not the greatest justification of your post with Alli! Good to have a bit fire in your belly. Yes, he'll be OTT from time to time but he deserves that bit of leeway for what he brings.

Luke Imp - 31/5/2016 16:28

Not the greatest justification of your post with Alli! Good to have a bit fire in your belly. Yes, he'll be OTT from time to time but he deserves that bit of leeway for what he brings.

:)
don't get me wrong, i like alli, but the refereeing in a finals will be (a) european style (b) harsh. did you see some of the tackles in the germany friendly? do you think the opposition will be trying to spark him off?

hopefully he will be a star, and not get riled into becoming the enfant terrible of a finals tournament like beckham/rooney did.

Yet more reasons why I won't be supporting England again. I am fed up with the same old attitude of picking players because of their status/club and overlooking players because of their supposed lack of status/unfashionable club. Shocking that Drinkwater, who has been a virtual ever-present for the Premier League champions and who has had a fabulous season, should be left at home, while the likes of Wilshere (missed virtually the entire season), Barkley (crap for most of the season), Henderson and Lallana (both of whom are very average) will be there. Noble should have gone as well, along with Drinkwater, but he is another one who doesn't play for one of the big boys, so he had no chance.

Rashford as well. The lad has done well, don't get me wrong, but if he had had burst onto the scene in similar style with, say, Leicester rather than Man Utd, would he have been given his chance? Very unlikely.

And what is the point of taking sicknote Sturridge? Same old decision making as usual.

The Imposter - 31/5/2016 19:58

Yet more reasons why I won't be supporting England again. I am fed up with the same old attitude of picking players because of their status/club and overlooking players because of their supposed lack of status/unfashionable club. Shocking that Drinkwater, who has been a virtual ever-present for the Premier League champions and who has had a fabulous season, should be left at home, while the likes of Wilshere (missed virtually the entire season), Barkley (crap for most of the season), Henderson and Lallana (both of whom are very average) will be there. Noble should have gone as well, along with Drinkwater, but he is another one who doesn't play for one of the big boys, so he had no chance.

Rashford as well. The lad has done well, don't get me wrong, but if he had had burst onto the scene in similar style with, say, Leicester rather than Man Utd, would he have been given his chance? Very unlikely.

And what is the point of taking sicknote Sturridge? Same old decision making as usual.

Italia 90.....the media and fans are calling for Bobby Robsons head .Reported unrest in the camp ...it was all going to go so wrong !
Euro 96 ..The media and fans are calling for Venables head, drunken pretournament folly in the Dentist Chair .Ince is seen with a bottle of beer at a bbq ...it was all going to go so horribly wrong . What about the Golden Generation? They were supposed to be bringing it home ? Thing is you just don't know .So lets relax and let Roy pick his lads . Put on the Telly ,have a beer or two and see how it goes .Abject failure ,mediocre success or Glory awaits !

Some journos are saying Drinkwater didn't get picked as wasn't involved in the qualifiers well Rashford only made his manure debut 96 days ago!
Picking on form over half fit favourites surely Noble and Defoe should have been in too?

I just hope that Roy Hodgson has made the correct choices here. Mind you, I think Rashford will be a winner!