England in India Winter 2016 | Vital Football

England in India Winter 2016

Stevie_imp

Vital Football Legend
Well its going to be a very very tough test of this England team. From interviews it sounds like Cook is already preparing his resignation in case its a whitewash. Yet this is test cricket. Can we perhaps pull a rabbit out of the hat? Looking forward to seeing the 19 year old Lancashire lad open with Cook. All starts early tomorrow at 3:30am.

Very good first day from England. Hameed at 19 years old is the second youngest debutante and made a steady 31. England stuttered with both openers going quickly and Duckett following for only 13. Then we dug in with a good 124 from in form Root. Moeen still there on 99 not out with Stokes looking steady. Stumps and England 311-4.

Good first session this morning. 450-6 at lunch with Moeen getting 117. Stokes looking good at 84 not out. Can we get 500 ?

Another good day for England finishing their first innings 537 all out. Some good batting with Stokes 128, Root 124, Moeen 117. India made a steady response and at stumps were 63-0. Crucial day tomorrow and hopefully England take wickets and are able to force a result.

Was looking like a boring draw with little in it for the bowlers. But a late flurry of Indian wickets has made it interesting. India 319-4 at stumps. Need a good couple of sessions tomorrow. In the balance.

The second session is about to start and this will determine if it's a draw or not. India 6 down and England need to finish them off otherwise not enough time left to force a result.

Well England skittles India out in the second session. Going well with the bat but unless our run rate increases and there is something in the pitch for our bowlers it's looking like a declaration is unlikely and draw inevitable.

Bad toss to lose. India have gambled. Produced a dead pitch and won the toss. Not a lot England can do. 500+ likely for India and wicket will be getting worse for batting. Up against it. Day 1 India 317-4 at stumps. England need a good day tomorrow.

Day two was India's day. England did ok to finish off India for 455. However complete batting failure of the top order saw us go in at 105-5 at stumps. Very poor and with 3 days to go, the follow on and defeat look likely.

It's been a tumultuous couple of days in Vishakhapatnam (try saying that after a drink or two). Yesterday and this morning England tore into the Indian batsman bowling them out for 204. A good result but England now face the unlikely target of 405 to win. A record run chase in India. Despite this both English openers did well batting defensively until both Hameed and Cook went leaving us 87-2 at stumps.

Had we finished with no wickets lost I'd have thought we could have possibly clung on for the draw. As it is i think that's still possible but unlikely.

Oh dear, total collapse. Top order misfired as usual, but this time, the middle order failed as well. Total collapse and all out for 158 not long after lunch. India win by 248 runs, I suppose we did well to get to the 5th day and the loss was almost avoidable had we not capitulated. Seems our strengths in aggressive batting from Root, Stokes, Bairstow et al. doesn't really suite a dig in and block for a day test match draw. Duckett has to go as does Ansari. Jos Butler has to come in and with Broad likely to need resting with injury I thing it's Woakes in. Woakes can bat as well. Finn can't.

Hey ho on to Mohali this Saturday. Come on England.

So day one of the third test saw Cook actually win the toss for a change and looking at the dry dusty flat top take the correct decision to bat first. Unfortunately the top order misfired as usual with Cook 27, Hameed 9, Root 15 and Moeen 16. Fortunately the middle order managed to concentrate and Bairstow 89, Stokes 29, Butler 43 and Woakes 25 helped prop up a below par 283 all out first innings. We shall see but I think the wicket is a 350+ par.

Disappointing from England. India manage to go from 204-6 to be bowled out for 417. Good to see Stokes getting a 5 fer with 5-73. Apart from that India don't look anything special yet our first innings 283 all out was simply below par.

We've started today with our opener Hameed absent with a finger injury and once again our top order batsmen are failing with Cook going for 12 and Moeen 5. India odds on for their second win unless we get some batsmen performing.

Another spanking from India with an 8 wicket defeat. Also lost our promising young opener Hameed who flew home yesterday to get a plate in his hand ! Looking ominous for games to come.

Too many tests this year Stevie, the next one will be the 16th. only those who have missed a few look fresh, apart from Root.

Impecunious - 30/11/2016 20:10

Too many tests this year Stevie, the next one will be the 16th. only those who have missed a few look fresh, apart from Root.

Hi Dave. Yes I was gobsmacked when I heard 5 tests in India over a 7 week period. Thats quite extraordinary.

Anyone know anything about the new boys joining the squad ? Sorry but not local so can't recall them. I know they have lions pedigree but interested in their background at CC? Being lazy as I suppose I could google it.

Hi Steve, nothing very original to say I'm afraid. Not gone into any great depth so don't know an awful lot. They're both approaching mid-twenties and have a fair bit of first class experience. Jennings is another with South Africa in his background, and looks pretty nailed on to play in the next test. That would be two left handers as the opening partnership. Dawson is an allrounder. As far as I can see his batting and bowling averages are pretty similar in the 30's. I'd think he will be a squad member but wouldn't play while there is a chance of saving the series - however faint that seems to be.
The helter skelter starts again next Thursday in Mumbai, I bet they're longing for Christmas and home !