England Cricket | Page 3 | Vital Football

England Cricket

Definitely - they pick their own numbers

Good choice of numbers though! Better than brain dead footballers choosing 23 "coz of Jordan" - last I looked, Jordan's done very little on the football pitch worthy of tribute (especially when there are hundreds of legendary footballer out there to doff your cap to) and I'd hazard a guess most of those who choose his number are more familiar with his number through Nike branding than what he did on a basketball court (as am I!)

I'm very lucky to live just 20 minutes from Trent Bridge. Seen some cracking games there - including witnessing Broad's 8-15 when he skittled the Aussies! My lad brought two mates who'd never watched cricket before. We had to keep telling them it wasn't always like this.

I love Trent Bridge. I've been to all current Test and ODI Grounds to see England - including Durham, the Ageas, Cardiff and even Bristol. Trent Bridge is probably my favourite. Smallish ground and attendance, so you're really part of the action, nice new stands but feels traditional, loud and passionate but knowledgeable fans and good ales! I went to the last day of the Test you talk about, Eager. Mixed feelings as saw Wood and co knock over the last few Aussie wickets in under an hour for us to win the Ashes, but was kind of hoping for a whole day's play! Saying that, I got a full refund for the lack of overs bowled and as my train was heading back at 7pm, me and my mate had a day's drinking and celebrating in the glorious sun by the canals in Nottingham. I was also there for the first three days of the 2005 Ashes Test and saw Freddie get his hundred and Strauss taken that catch at slip, and saw Ian Bell get a cracking ton there in the last Ashes, but one too, which was great!

Favourite ground?
Garrison Ground Gillingham where I saw my first County game in '66.

Tbf it was a death trap and soon off the list. Was a John Player game there circa 72 but that's about it iirc.

Anyone with a better recollection of what happened to the ground?

Favourite ground?

Tbf it was a death trap and soon off the list. Was a John Player game there circa 72 but that's about it iirc.

I'm too young to have seen a county game there (my dad did and recalls seeing a Windies touring team there with Viv Richards, or so he says!) I played there about 20 years ago when I still lived in Medway (and still played cricket!) Not sure if it's still there now?

Really liked Sophia Gardens when I lived in Cardiff - very central, lovely location in the park, and a great way to spend an evening at the t20 - student season tickets were £50 ffs!

Other than that, I've been to the Oval a lot for t20s and tests, Lords a couple of times (should be more given I work in Baker Street), Canterbury and Beckenham to see Kent obvs, the Rose Bowl, Trent Bridge and Old Trafford.

All are much of a muchness to be honest, with some having more charm than others. But the best cricket I've seen is probably at Lord's in 2009 when I was there for day 5 of the 2nd Ashes test and saw Freddie's last 5 for.

Aiming to do all the test and county grounds at some point, and theoretical ideas of doing an Ashest tour at some point too.

my dad did and recalls seeing a Windies touring team there with Viv Richards, or so he says!

I saw the West Indies play Kent at Canterbury in 1973 - Rohan Kanhai, Kallicharan, Clive Lloyd, Keith Boyce, Deryck Murray, Vanburn Holder for the Windies, Luckhurst, Woolmer, Alan Ealham, Colin Cowdrey, John Shepherd, Asif Iqbal for Kent.

Unbelievable line-ups! Got every autograph - quite a thrill for a then 13-year-old. Still got the book somewhere.

I saw the West Indies play Kent at Canterbury in 1973 - Rohan Kanhai, Kallicharan, Clive Lloyd, Keith Boyce, Deryck Murray, Vanburn Holder for the Windies, Luckhurst, Woolmer, Alan Ealham, Colin Cowdrey, John Shepherd, Asif Iqbal for Kent.

Unbelievable line-ups! Got every autograph - quite a thrill for a then 13-year-old. Still got the book somewhere.

Sounds good! I recall seeing Viv Richards last match for Glamorgan v Kent about 30 years ago - got a standing ovation and knocked a typical classy yet brutish 60 off and was met with a standing ovation all round, despite it costing us the then Sunday League in the last match decider between us and Glamorgan.

Was also there for a couple of days of that classic tour match where South Africa players there first match in England after exile - the days when tour matches were the highlight of county teams' seasons and the touring team went hell for leather too. Will always remember Allan Donald pumelling Dean Headley in the days where it was an unwritten rule not to bounce tailenders.

Really liked Sophia Gardens when I lived in Cardiff - very central, lovely location in the park, and a great way to spend an evening at the t20 - student season tickets were £50 ffs

I was surprisingly impressed with Cardiff. Having not been impressed with Durham and the Rosebowl, which just didn't have the feel of Test venues, I didn't expect much when I went there for the Ashes, but thought it was a great ground. Nice stands with good views and a real cricket feel - especailly with the taff right behind the small stand opposite the pavillion. Lots of room around the ground to mingle at lunch and tea and good banter between the English, Welsh and Aussies - surprisingly, the Welsh were passionately supporting England and we were all givng it to the Aussies, but there were a few good natured English and Welsh rugby and football songs too!

Blimey. I've been a Jonah for England today. Started watching soon after the tea interval and promptly watched a collapse.

"Why didn't Root enforce the follow on? Bloody idiot"

That's why. Can you imagine how England would have fared on that wicket today?

Favourite ground?

I remember my first visit to the Gillingham Ground. It wasn't my first County game but it was the first time I saw Underwood bowl. I had been assured by my colleague that Underwood was surprising opposition teams and was invariably taking a wicket with his first ball. Derek was bought on to bowl the last over before lunch and duly obliged taking a wicket dead(ly) on cue.

Was also fortunate enough to see Kent play at "The Bat and Ball", Folkstone, Tunbridge Wells, The Moat and of course, Canterbury. Also played the odd game at Gillingham, The Moat, Tunbridge Wells, Canterbury and West Malling. I suppose I could add that I also represented Kent, but sadly I have to confess that wasn't at cricket.

I don't remember pitch being that bad but I haven't been past it for many years. NB. I mean travelled past the ground. I have been past it for longer than I care to remember.

I remember my first visit to the Gillingham Ground. It wasn't my first County game but it was the first time I saw Underwood bowl. I had been assured by my colleague that Underwood was surprising opposition teams and was invariably taking a wicket with his first ball. Derek was bought on to bowl the last over before lunch and duly obliged taking a wicket dead(ly) on cue.

Was also fortunate enough to see Kent play at "The Bat and Ball", Folkstone, Tunbridge Wells, The Moat and of course, Canterbury. Also played the odd game at Gillingham, The Moat, Tunbridge Wells, Canterbury and West Malling. I suppose I could add that I also represented Kent, but sadly I have to confess that wasn't at cricket.

I don't remember pitch being that bad but I haven't been past it for many years. NB. I mean travelled past the ground. I have been past it for longer than I care to remember.
I've played at Folkestone and the Mote. Dressing rooms at the Mote were/are tiny, heaven knows how county players got all their coffins/bats/pads etc in there. They must have changed in shifts.

Spent a few days at Tunbridge Wells for a county game a couple of years ago. It was the wrong time of the year for rhododendrons, but it's a lovely ampitheatre to watch cricket. The weather was nice and warm and the cricket was helped by several pints of Spitfire during the day.

Lots of room around the ground to mingle at lunch and tea and good banter between the English, Welsh and Aussies - surprisingly, the Welsh were passionately supporting England and we were all givng it to the Aussies, but there were a few good natured English and Welsh rugby and football songs too!

Good to hear - saw about ten overs of an ODI with South Africa in 2008, before it got rained off, ended up meeting the England team in Vodka revs on a student night that evening!

As any Welsh cricket supporter will remind anyone who asks, it is the England and Wales Cricket Board - and therefore team after all :p

Fantastic win today, some insane averages this early in the year btw - with the ball, Jimmy is averaging NINE, Bess 22, Leech is now averaging 20 in the 2nd innings, and Joe's batting is a solid if unspectacular 114....

Three VERY good wins in a row for England!

A
Good to hear - saw about ten overs of an ODI with South Africa in 2008, before it got rained off, ended up meeting the England team in Vodka revs on a student night that evening!

As any Welsh cricket supporter will remind anyone who asks, it is the England and Wales Cricket Board - and therefore team after all :p

Fantastic win today, some insane averages this early in the year btw - with the ball, Jimmy is averaging NINE, Bess 22, Leech is now averaging 20 in the 2nd innings, and Joe's batting is a solid if unspectacular 114....

Three VERY good wins in a row for England & Wales!

Three VERY good wins in a row for England!

Apparently that’s 6 away wins on the trot.
Incredible stuff. Long may it continue.

“We want 7...🎶😁