England Cricket Team - Joe Denly - n/g | Vital Football

England Cricket Team - Joe Denly - n/g

GillsBluenose

Vital Football Hero
I see Michael Vaughan has got his way with Denly being dropped.

I am a much bigger Kent Fan than an England one, so I am pleased in a way but feel he has been scapegoated.

He has been batting number three, a position which no other player seems to want to bat (including most notably Root), and if we lose a quick wicket he has made sure that we are not suddenly two down in the first hour and using the famous one word expression - englandbattingcollapse.

He scored almost as many runs as Sibley in the first test and considerably more than Pope who is supposedly a "batsman" but must be shit against the new ball as he can not seem to bat any higher than six and does not bowl. However, both are, or have been, part of the Surrey mafia so are undroppable.

This time, Root is pushing the other Kent batsman, the inexperienced Crawley, in to batting at three so it will not be long before Kent welcome him back to the fold if he can not cope with it.

It will probably be a tamer wicket for the flat track bullies this time, though.

Talking cricket. Just looking at Gills links with Kent cricket the most famous cricketer ever to play for Gillingham.

Kent Cricket’s footballers

Les-Ames-820x514.jpg

Les Ames
One of Kent Cricket’s greatest ever players, Les Ames made 431 appearances for Kent in a career spanning over four decades from 1929, also picking up 47 Test caps for England.
Hailed as one of the prototypes for the modern wicketkeeper-batsman, Elham-born Ames had both a first-class and Test average of over 40.00 and was Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1929. He remains the only wicketkeeper to score over 100 first-class centuries.
His highest first-class score of 295 came against Leicestershire at Maidstone in 1932.
Ames was also an accomplished footballer, playing as an outside-left for Clapton Orient before making five appearances for Gillingham FC in 1931/32, scoring a goal away at Bristol Rovers in a 5-2 defeat in the old Division Three.

Joe Denly 15 tests average 28.93 Not good enough!

I see Michael Vaughan has got his way with Denly being dropped.

I am a much bigger Kent Fan than an England one, so I am pleased in a way but feel he has been scapegoated.

He has been batting number three, a position which no other player seems to want to bat (including most notably Root), and if we lose a quick wicket he has made sure that we are not suddenly two down in the first hour and using the famous one word expression - englandbattingcollapse.

He scored almost as many runs as Sibley in the first test and considerably more than Pope who is supposedly a "batsman" but must be shit against the new ball as he can not seem to bat any higher than six and does not bowl. However, both are, or have been, part of the Surrey mafia so are undroppable.

This time, Root is pushing the other Kent batsman, the inexperienced Crawley, in to batting at three so it will not be long before Kent welcome him back to the fold if he can not cope with it.

It will probably be a tamer wicket for the flat track bullies this time, though.

How has Michael Vaughan got his way? He isnt a selector or part of the England set up!

Denly would certainly have done better than his Kent colleague today

None of them do particularly well batting at number three, hence why Root has had a couple of poor attempts before reverting back to number four, where Crawley also made his runs in the last test.

What was more predictable was that England would be two wickets down quicker than when Denly plays. 29 for 2 on this occasion.

In the first test, England lost their first wicket without scoring and Denly took them to 48 before departing. They later collapsed from 154 for 5 to 174 for 9.

In the second innings, the score was 72 when Denly entered and 151 when he was out. They later collapsed from 249 for 3 to 279 for 8.

Cricket is ultimately a game of partnerships.

Talking cricket. Just looking at Gills links with Kent cricket the most famous cricketer ever to play for Gillingham.

Kent Cricket’s footballers

Les-Ames-820x514.jpg

Les Ames
One of Kent Cricket’s greatest ever players, Les Ames made 431 appearances for Kent in a career spanning over four decades from 1929, also picking up 47 Test caps for England.
Hailed as one of the prototypes for the modern wicketkeeper-batsman, Elham-born Ames had both a first-class and Test average of over 40.00 and was Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1929. He remains the only wicketkeeper to score over 100 first-class centuries.
His highest first-class score of 295 came against Leicestershire at Maidstone in 1932.
Ames was also an accomplished footballer, playing as an outside-left for Clapton Orient before making five appearances for Gillingham FC in 1931/32, scoring a goal away at Bristol Rovers in a 5-2 defeat in the old Division Three.
The only other person I can think of who represented Gills and played first -class cricket was Ray Bailey, who played for Northamptonshire. Any others?