end of the rare steak? | Vital Football

end of the rare steak?

badge73

Vital 1st Team Regular
The prospect of a rare steak could become even rarer in British restaurants, an influential British chef has warned.

Food guru and critic Prue Leith blames local council officials for trying to enforce rules designed for factories and fast-food chains, which demand meat is cooked through, on small restaurants.

She said: ‘I can see a day when you have to go to France to get a rare steak.

'The same for pink duck breasts, liver or kidneys.’

Miss Leith, a judge on the BBC’s hit cooking series ‘Great British Menu’, added: ‘If you have a really good chef, or course he is going to be good about making sure he is not poisoning anybody.

'Of course, he will be highly aware of hygiene and how bugs grow.

'Almost always when there is a food poisoning scandal, the reason is simple hygiene rules.

'People have left food sitting in a warm kitchen for four hours or have used the same knife - simple stuff.’

Her comments come as top chefs admit they are defying pressures from health inspectors to prevent them from serving rare meat to customers.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2396605/Prue-Leith-warns-rare-steak-rarer-restaurants-councils-demands.html#ixzz2cc1KhNSH

been eating rare steak and pink duck for years and thought of over cooked liver leaves my taste buds weeping.

whats wrong with this country and cant any individual be an individual or do we have to start eating the same foods from now on?

"An FSA spokesman said: ‘It’s safe to eat rare beef and lamb steak because searing the outside surface of a piece of steak will kill any bugs that might have contaminated the outside.

‘However, the same doesn’t go for minced products like burgers.

'This is because any bugs that may have been on the surface of the raw meat will be spread throughout the burger when the meat is minced, so any pink meat may still contain harmful bacteria, whether raw or in a burger that’s cooked on the outside.’"

I think your Rare Steak is safe badge.

No, I think the article is making a big thing out of nothing. These are guidelines, not rules, and they are mainly targeted at minced meat products, not a Steak. It basically says tat as long as your food is safe to eat, you are OK. Surely that's a good thing?

If you read the article properly, there is not one real fact in the whole thing. It's all speculation on where it's going.

This is not a new thing as cooking poultry, pork and minced meat thoroughly has been the norm now for decades.

There is no argument here from the FSA about serving rare red meat products as like Heath said, the bacteria lives on the outside.

Steak Tartare is a raw minced red meat(horse/beef) dish served in France and there is an argument on whether this dish is safe to serve of not.

Also Burgers can be served pink as long as the pink part reaches a said temp(I think above 63'c) which will kill any of the bacteria that was living on the outside of the meat prior to mincing.

Already a few restaurants around here that refuse to cook a steak rare, doesn't bother me as I have medium or well done but it's all coming from a fear of being sued.

Oh I am sure the jobsworthy/PC will try and find a way to use it to ban the rare steak, if they can

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 21/8/2013 15:25

No, I think the article is making a big thing out of nothing.

Don't let me ever see you imply the Daily Mail haven't got their facts right and are blowing up an issue again Heath.

Shocking thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :10:

The Fear - 22/8/2013 09:36

Don't let me ever see you imply the Daily Mail haven't got their facts right and are blowing up an issue again Heath.

I'm sure it was just a one off!!! It's not like they're known for it, or anything. :26:

The Fear - 22/8/2013 09:36

so did they make up the quotes ... :69:

I ain't bothered as i can not stand or believe people eat meat thats been cooked but still pink or blood seeping out of it, ffs turns my stomach tbh

The Fear - 23/8/2013 09:05

Meat should be bloody, blood soaks into the chips, job done!

You have made me feel queezy and gutted as i thought you walked on water but this tells me you are an animal! :10: :17:

Forget who told me, might be from a film. Or might have been Deano actually.

a waiter asked someone how he wanted his steak, he said

'wipe its arse and bring it out'

lol

I am an animal. I might be a jesus lizard tough, they walk on water (google them!)

Beefburgers cooked rare can remain on restaurant menus after a judge rejected claims by food watchdogs that they are a health risk.

A wine bar and restaurant chain had been told to stop serving the burgers unless they took certain safety precautions.

The ruling by Westminster City Council, backed by the Food Standards Agency, would have set a precedent across the country.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2401248/Food-police-lose-fight-outlaw-rare-beefburgers-judge-rejects-claim-health-risk.html#ixzz2csaE5uP5