'End' of Season Awards? WTF? | Page 2 | Vital Football

'End' of Season Awards? WTF?

Does nobody else see the irony in Villa fans who are constantly bleating about Bruce's negative style of football voting for a centre back as player of the year? Especially in a season where we have 3 midfielders with 52 goals/assists between them?

Not knocking Chester at all, but fans can be bloody idiots.

"Bruce out. Too negative and defensive... but I appreciate James Chester more than Adomah or Snodgrass".

Tickles me.

My top 5 in order would be -

Adomah
Snodgrass
Chester
Terry
Johnstone

I see your point Deano , but I would have voted for Chester purely because I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves.

He hasn't missed a minute this season and I can't remember a single mistake , although I am sure he must have made one at some point.

Yeah, I know you're a big fan, but to be fair you've never slated Bruce or his style either.

Like I said not knocking JC, fully deserved but there is a hint of irony in a defender winning it when fans bitch about wanting more attacking football and we have 3 midfielders who have been on fire this season.

Awards spot on. Can remember when we leaked at least one stupid goal in every match, sometimes 2 or 3. Now only the top 2 have let in less than us. Although Terry has been pretty effective, it's Chester who has delivered in every match which was the reason for that.

Our other great weakness used to be in the final third of the pitch. We're dealing with that, and it was Albert in the first half of the season who got us on track. Jack deserved it for his great goal, plus the others he's scored.

Alberto has gone off the boil a little recently, but on the whole a fair result. And for consistency James Chester, yes. He doesn't make the headlines often as it's the 'flair' players and goalscorers that usually catch the eye but James has hardly put a foot wrong all season. Well done all....

My top 5 in order would be -

Adomah
Snodgrass
Chester
Terry
Johnstone

Agree with those five, not totally sure what order I'd go in. Adomah, despite the great goals, entertainment and ... err the great goals (!) I don't think wins for me.

Happy with the Chester vote. I think Johnstone had a very good shout as he's kept us in a good few matches. With that said, Uncle Albert's goals have also kept us in/won us matches.

Meh, not bothered I don't think!

In my view you pay to be entertained.

What does the hard working supporter pay his money to see? Mazy dribbles, lovely through balls, assists and goals........ or tackles and headed clearances?

I appreciate JC has had a great season, but am surprised he got more votes than the attacking players who have all done so well.

In my view you pay to be entertained.

What does the hard working supporter pay his money to see? Mazy dribbles, lovely through balls, assists and goals........ or tackles and headed clearances?

I appreciate JC has had a great season, but am surprised he got more votes than the attacking players who have all done so well.

I get that but without Chester, Terry and Johnstone keeping the back door shut, the forward players wouldn't have the chance to do their thing, or if they did, it would count for fuck all if we lost every game 4-3.

I would have said Adomah would be a close second to Chester, with Snoddy in the mix as well. But ultimately, they forwards are just doing their jobs in the same way Chester and Johnstone were. Unless a striker does a Salah and knocks in 40 goals, they've not really done anything remarkable.

Adomah and Snoddy have both suffered lapses in form during the season, something which didn't happen to Chester, imho.

On another note... I think Elmohamady rarely gets noticed yet he’s been boringly consistent all season. He is a big reason why Snoddy gets the space he gets with his movement and support. I can’t remember the match recently but the kid from ManUtd was playing right back and Bruce brought on Elmo to replace him. Instantly we had a threat and an outlet again on the right. How does the phrase go..? You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone (or something like that). Anyway, I think Elmo should get an “unsung hero” award (sponsored by ‘67 ;))