Emma Raducanu | Vital Football

Emma Raducanu

Will be watching on Eurosport over here. An amazing run she's had, 9 straight wins including qualifying, all in straight sets.

I've been extremely impressed with her mental strength. As someone who gets nervous trying to serve for a set in matches at my local club, I can't get my head around how calm she was yesterday (and in her previous matches too) when serving for a place in a Grand Slam final.

Bromley girl, good luck to her, she's done great so far. It would be unbelievable for anyone to have not dropped a set on their way to the Final, let alone an 18 year old qualifier.

I couldn't believe how relaxed she was in the pre match interview...cracking few games so far, great Tennis and Fernández definitely playing her part.

Stupendous quality from both.

If Raducanu wins then I reckon that's better than when Leicester won the Prem.

What a way to finish it off. Nerves of steel. Fantastic match from both players though.

Think the medical timeout threw Fernandez a bit, she seemed to be enjoying herself in those last couple of games, but was unhappy about something while Raducanu was getting treatment, although she was clearly injured.

3 month's ago she was sitting her A levels in Bromley hahaha. Brilliant match, the mental strength shown by Emma is unreal fucking brilliant.

A truly astonishing achievement. The best individual sporting achievement I've ever seen, by a distance.
Ok 🙄

Great performance though, didn't lose a set all tournament and wasn't really dominant on her serve. It seems to be difficult to stay up there for the women, but she definitely seems to have her head screwed on

Just had a read through the BBC coverage and somehow 700 people posted a thumbs down when it came up that she had won.
What is wrong with people?

Perhaps it was 700 Canadians following over here. :-)

Ok This is a tremendous achievement there is no doubt about that and she’s played exceptionally well with great mental composure and tactical awareness. Her serving and shot making in the biggest points (e.g. break points down) has been phenomenal.

It’s a great achievement to have come through qualifying but let’s take a look at the unique circumstances of COVID…had tournaments not been cancelled for months she would have made more progress in that time and probably been in the main draw of the US Open from the get-go, rather than just having had a cameo at Wimbledon on the bigger stage until very recently.

Against that is the fact that she has not had the amount of big tournament experience she would have otherwise enjoyed either. But my feeling is that the progress she would have made had tournaments not been cancelled has instead been condensed into recent weeks.

So perhaps there is some other plausible explanation of her being the first woman ever (or man?) to have gone all the way from qualifying in a Grand Slam tournament, in addition to her exceptional talent…

Last edited:
It’s a great achievement to have come through qualifying but let’s take a look at the unique circumstances of COVID…had tournaments not been cancelled for months she would have made more progress in that time and probably been in the main draw of the US Open from the get-go, rather than just having had a cameo at Wimbledon on the bigger stage until very recently.

Wasn't the reason she wasn't competing previously due to finishing her A-levels? The possibility has certainly been there to compete over the past year - since last year's US Open, Leylah Fernandez has played 17 ranking tournaments (plus the Olympics).

I did wonder where she was last year, as you’d think she probably could have made the quarters or semis in major tournaments seeing how good she was at the US. You don’t go from being rubbish to the best in the world overnight. But then of course with Covid last year Wimbledon was cancelled entirely, and this year when it was back on it gave her a taste of the big time as she reached the 4th round until the nerves/injury got the better of her.